Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 627, 628, 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[quote="shadetreemech"]Had mine powder-coated.

The parts I painted on previous rebuilds had started to chip and flake over a relatively short period of time. The previous two rebuilds I decided to have them powder-coated instead. I am super happy with the results.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RicMcK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Beautiful. I like the Red! Yes powder coating is great. It lasts for ever.

Today I removed the firewall insulation, wire wheeled as much as I could, treated the rusty spots with "Rust Mort". I used Rust Mort on my 1936 Ford, and 40 +years later no rust has returned. The rusted areas looked better than I thought they would. Hopefully the weather will cooperate on Monday so I can seam seal it and then spray it with under coating.
2006 TDI Jetta
1936 Ford Pick up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That motor is so pretty. The only upgrade left is an aluminum thermostat housing.
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Did this a couple days ago. I got the idea from the Texas Vanagons website but added tape to a few more areas for increased visibility. Tape came from Amazon.
I also applied this tape to the Bluestar my son now drives.

https://texasvanagons.com/deck-lid-safety-reflective-tape/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQY03NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finally replaced all of the propane tank parts with Jim's Vanavation kit. My intention was to drop the tank, but the AC lines made me do it in situ.

Not easy due to access, but I got it done on the ground. Used sealant paste instead of tape on all threads. Due to the longer regulator, I broke the old, integrated cover off of the skid plate. I've ordered a Camco regulator cover kit, and still need to mount the missing mud flap to keep it all happy.

After nervously pulling up to my local Ace, all went well. It took 3.1 lbs, which is more than I expected assuming an 80% fill. Maybe due to it being completely empty? I couldn't see how much came out of the bleeder, but 0.5 lbs seems like a lot.

Soapy water test passed, and stove/fridge are working. It always feels good to check something off the list.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put it on the trickle charger. The van has been "resting" recently and always started when asked until today. Need to drive it more.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Put it on the trickle charger. The van has been "resting" recently and always started when asked until today. Need to drive it more.

I hard wired a trickle charger into my van for the starting battery. So now aux and staring batteries are happy during the winter.
CarstenR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hello, all, I'm happy to be able to share something I completed last night on the Opa Bus. My priorities may be a little whacked, since the Westy doesn't run, but at least now I have access to the space under the driver's seat (LHD) thanks to completing the installation of the Intrepid Overland Seat Tilt Kit. When I add the house battery I will mount the CTEK D250SE in this location along with the fuse block for my 'consumers'.

The kit is not plug & play, and required some cutting of welds with my trusty Dremel tool. I haven't had much experience doing this, but after taking some deep breaths I took cutting blade to metal and cut out the center of the seat base. This ended up being (in my opinion) fairly painless and a good confidence builder for me for some of the bigger projects yet to come. Plus, I now have access to the valuable space under the seat!

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/seat-tilt-kit/

- Carsten
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

CarstenR wrote:
Hello, all, I'm happy to be able to share something I completed last night on the Opa Bus. My priorities may be a little whacked, since the Westy doesn't run, but at least now I have access to the space under the driver's seat (LHD) thanks to completing the installation of the Intrepid Overland Seat Tilt Kit. When I add the house battery I will mount the CTEK D250SE in this location along with the fuse block for my 'consumers'.

The kit is not plug & play, and required some cutting of welds with my trusty Dremel tool. I haven't had much experience doing this, but after taking some deep breaths I took cutting blade to metal and cut out the center of the seat base. This ended up being (in my opinion) fairly painless and a good confidence builder for me for some of the bigger projects yet to come. Plus, I now have access to the valuable space under the seat!

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/seat-tilt-kit/

- Carsten

Nice work. I've been interested in that seat-tilt kit. The Intrepid Overland fresh air control kit is also a darn good improvement, esp. if you have A/C.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Washed the dirt off all the windows/glass in lieu of an actual wash. Recent light snow had left dust streaks all over the place as it melted off the Vanagon.
Removed both front door switches and cleaned them. I was getting erratic performance out of the drivers side this Winter.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
JIME82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got around to installing the self-made roofrack on the pop top. Pay special attention to the laser-cut VW logo's Cool

Now I have a good reason to get a lift-assist-kit. Any recommandations?

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

JIME82 wrote:
Finally got around to installing the self-made roofrack on the pop top. Pay special attention to the laser-cut VW logo's Cool

That is a hella-cool rack. I have only adventured to drill two holes in my top, and that was to put in the Jack Bombay struts kit.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Jack-Bombay-Pop-Top-...ck-kit.htm

There are others. The last thread I was reading about a full length Westy rack show, clearly, the holes where the Jack Bombay kit was used, and abandoned in favor of a more forward setup like GW sells. The kit on that full rack visually at least, shows that one of the mount points for the strut was a hole already being used for the rack mount.

I like the Jack Bombay units I run, but I really only use them because I am getting a bit grumpy trying to push an unloaded top up. I have the light duty version. I plan on getting another kit from aircooled.net for my 2nd Westy, along with another in-house version of the tent BusDepot offers. I've had no problems with either of those purchases.

Hope it goes well for you!

-bobby
harvgwen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I got this from GoWesty and it works well
https://gowesty.com/products/pop-top-lift-assist-vanagon?_pos=17&_sid=25d8b51b2&_ss=r
They also sell a heavy duty one which you’d probably need with your great looking rack.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
JIME82 wrote:

That is a hella-cool rack. I have only adventured to drill two holes in my top, and that was to put in the Jack Bombay struts kit.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Jack-Bombay-Pop-Top-...ck-kit.htm

There are others. The last thread I was reading about a full length Westy rack show, clearly, the holes where the Jack Bombay kit was used, and abandoned in favor of a more forward setup like GW sells. The kit on that full rack visually at least, shows that one of the mount points for the strut was a hole already being used for the rack mount.

I like the Jack Bombay units I run, but I really only use them because I am getting a bit grumpy trying to push an unloaded top up. I have the light duty version. I plan on getting another kit from aircooled.net for my 2nd Westy, along with another in-house version of the tent BusDepot offers. I've had no problems with either of those purchases.

Hope it goes well for you!

-bobby

Using the jack Bombay kit with 280 lb struts I lift a few hundred pounds of stuff on the roof

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pulled my starter motor to take to the local rebuilder. Been having to give it a hit with hammer every now and then to get it to go! Shocked Seems to be the original Bosch unit so prefer to get it rebuilt then go with something of unknown origin.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The heater fan stopped working so before the spring season hits New Hampshire, best to get this fixed and replace all heater parts. Going to sound deaden the area, replace the wiper washer hoses and a general old wire clean up.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You can't throw too much sound deadener at the nose. It helps a lot. My van went from "so noisy elevated voices are needed, normal convos aren't possible" to "noisy by regular voices are fine, normal convo." Get the best you can justify spending. Butyl sheets and mass loaded vinyl.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
You can't throw too much sound deadener at the nose. It helps a lot. My van went from "so noisy elevated voices are needed, normal convos aren't possible" to "noisy by regular voices are fine, normal convo." Get the best you can justify spending. Butyl sheets and mass loaded vinyl.

Big time!! I was able to get all but one screw out, the screw that is in the middle left was stripped before I started, the heater has been rebuilt at some point, lots of silicone around the middle. There is a special place in hell for those that put a stripped screw in a hard to reach place.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got some money for new front rotors- installed those today- and installed a Time-Sert for the stripped oil drain plug. Threads gave out on me when I was changing oil to Winter weight weeks ago. I cobbled a repair to hold the plug in place till I could properly deal with it.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

(Yesterday)…heated up the garage & installed Bus Depot H4 headlights.

Beautiful kit…these things look fantastic!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 627, 628, 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 628 of 631

Jump to: