Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

question about interior function/ winter camping!!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: question about interior function/ winter camping!! Reply with quote

Alright ever since Ive had my van the electrical outlet only works when the van is plugged in to shore power. is this normal I thought you could plug stuff in and run it off the battery when your driving or for a little while at night. any way Im goign camping this weekend to yosemite and i want it to work to run the heater for a little. thanks oh any tips on preparing for a winter trip would be appreciated, because Im a so cal beach cruiser so mabey you winter camping guys have some tips on must have winter camping gear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the electrical outlets only work when plugged into 110V. When not plugged into 110V, you are restricted to 12V appliances via the cig lighter. The two are on completely different circuits in the van. There isn't a stock "converter" with the van.

Regarding Yosemite (20 miles from which I live), they do not have RV hookups (i.e. electrical). It's been in the mid-20s here at night, so come with blankets Smile
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a thermal screen that goes around the pop top canvas and keeps us nice and toasty! Before we had that we used to keep the pop top down when it was cold (or snowing!) but you end up like quasi modo!!
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i thought about the electrical . Ill have to invest in a converter. thanks for the input I heard its goignt o be around 9 degrees at night this weekend. ouch oh well should be fun. thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to evaluate the size of your inverter relative to the draw of what your planning to run. (a 400 watt inverter won't run a 750 watt microwave). Also bear in mind that if you get a large inverter you'll be using a lot of battery quickly.

Erik D.

'82 diesel Westy, 1.9t AAZ, AAP 5 spd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: question about interior function/ winter camping!! Reply with quote

as mentioned, it's a seperate piece from the 12V system, it is just an EXTENSION from the outside 110v recepticle.

and in the talk of 12v-to-110v inverers, those wil take ALOT of 12v battery power. and will CERTAINLY NOT run a heater of any sort. batteries just don't have space heating capabilities.

best you are going to get is a 12v electric blanket from flea-bay or a interstate truckstop (truckers have to keep the Mrs warm enroute)
but you will still WANT a 2nd BATTERY to ensure starting up in the morning.

many of us have installed propane forced air heaters (propex, suburban) and many use a portable Mr Buddy heater with success, (aside from those scared of CO poisoning)

PIRATE wrote:
Alright ever since Ive had my van the electrical outlet only works when the van is plugged in to shore power. is this normal I thought you could plug stuff in and run it off the battery when your driving or for a little while at night. any way Im goign camping this weekend to yosemite and i want it to work to run the heater for a little. thanks oh any tips on preparing for a winter trip would be appreciated, because Im a so cal beach cruiser so mabey you winter camping guys have some tips on must have winter camping gear.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also consider a quiet 2 stroke gas generator. I recently bought one from Pep Boys. It is quiet, and generates a decent amount of electrical juice. I plug it's extension cord into the 110 electrical outlet on the outside of the Vanagon Westy, and then I can run my electric heater, coffee pot, TV, or watever I plug into the inside outlets, within reason. The small generator will not electrical loads rated above the generators output.

Be sure to consider the other campers around you. While the 2 stroke generator is reasonably quiet, not all campers will appretiate it running through the night.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
You could also consider a quiet 2 stroke gas generator. I recently bought one from Pep Boys. It is quiet, and generates a decent amount of electrical juice. I plug it's extension cord into the 110 electrical outlet on the outside of the Vanagon Westy, and then I can run my electric heater, coffee pot, TV, or watever I plug into the inside outlets, within reason. The small generator will not electrical loads rated above the generators output.

Be sure to consider the other campers around you. While the 2 stroke generator is reasonably quiet, not all campers will appretiate it running through the night.

That's also a pretty dirty way of generating power, btw.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooklynvanagon wrote:
bucko wrote:

Huh?

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
terryg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
brooklynvanagon wrote:
bucko wrote:

Huh?

A comment from knowledge obtained many years ago. Just driving a Vanagon around the block is a whole lot more dirty than running a small 2 stroke generator for a few hours. Size matters!
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
brooklynvanagon wrote:
bucko wrote:

Huh?

No offense, I just mean that 2-strokes pollute a lot. This quote might a little something, not that your running a 70 hp generator, but just to give a comparison..

"The EPA estimates that one hour of operation by a 70-horsepower two-stroke motor emits the same amount of hydrocarbon pollution as driving 5,000 miles in a modern automobile."

Takes quite a few hours to drive 5k miles don't you think?
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The EPA estimates that one hour of operation by a 70-horsepower two-stroke motor emits the same amount of hydrocarbon pollution as driving 5,000 miles in a modern automobile."

yeah what's your point?
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to further muddy the waters here but aren't most of the small generators available 4 stroke rather than 2 stroke?

Erik D.

'82 diesel Westy, 1.9t AAZ, AAP 5 spd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think it'd just be a lousey way to 'generate' comfort heating..
How long does that little fuel tank last? have to get up 3xs to refuel it overnight?
and I'd doubt the engine longetivity of any made in china suitcase generator. they have enough reliability issues with the ~3500wt power outage units.
unless you went Honda, then you are back up to $bigbucks$.. though very nice for the $$..

best to take that same $$ and invest in a nice quiet, clean comfort heating system they're available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfej1 wrote:

yeah what's your point?

Don't use two stroke motors that inordinately pollute.
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I'd think it'd just be a lousey way to 'generate' comfort heating..
How long does that little fuel tank last? have to get up 3xs to refuel it overnight?
and I'd doubt the engine longetivity of any made in china suitcase generator. they have enough reliability issues with the ~3500wt power outage units.
unless you went Honda, then you are back up to $bigbucks$.. though very nice for the $$..

best to take that same $$ and invest in a nice quiet, clean comfort heating system they're available.

Your going camping, and you want winter heat, go with a heater that burns stuff, NOT electric... vented is better.

http://www.ventedcatheater.com/ espar.com

Some other hints.

http://www.pottsfamily.ca/The_Bug_Pack/TCWBC/WinterHints.html
PIRATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back from yosemite and i used a colmane heater in the van with the vent open, I left the light on and the stero running a little to long battery was dead but three of my buddies pushing on the ice was rough but wee got it going. but second battery is already purchased just have to buy kit from go westy. that electric blanket sound genius. ill have to look into that.
brooklynvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIRATE wrote:
back from yosemite and i used a colmane heater in the van with the vent open, I left the light on and the stero running a little to long battery was dead but three of my buddies pushing on the ice was rough but wee got it going. but second battery is already purchased just have to buy kit from go westy. that electric blanket sound genius. ill have to look into that.

I believe you really don't want the go westy kit.

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0008d&L=vanagon&F=&S=&P=45588

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0702...mp;P=48066

or http://www.alliedelec.com/search/ProductDetail.asp...0076E0617F

You can search the part numbers and vanagon via google for more info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: