Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Essential Spare Parts List FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

A VHS OF Scotty Kilmer videos

If I breakdown, pop it inthe VCR and in 10 minutes I’ll kill myself to stop the noise. Problem solved.
rag63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

On long trips I would carry a good generator already installed on the backing plate ready to install on the cooler shroud so it was a simple R&R if my existing gen. went bad. It is bulky but the piece of mind was worth it. That big nut holding the gen on can be a bear to remove on a good day let alone on the side of the road or in a parking lot.
And yes, I even had to use the spare once.
Dave
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

VW's are pretty reliable

love the Garageers who postulate such musings

must be extra reliable when you have at least two other cars you drive to and fro before the VW
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A VHS OF Scotty Kilmer videos

If I breakdown, pop it inthe VCR and in 10 minutes I’ll kill myself to stop the noise. Problem solved.

This is the best laugh I've had in days.

Also, you guys bring some impressive amounts of stuff with you.

I keep pretty much the same list of tools/parts as I keep in my modern car:

A socket set, and an Allen set (just cheap ones from Harbor Freight)

Fluids (just oil, in the case of the Bus)
Belts (again, just one)
A spark plug (If you need more than one, you have bigger problems)
A distributor rotor, and a set of points (good used)
Some zip ties, and some solid core wire.
Some tape
A couple of bolts and nuts of common sizes (M6, M10, etc)

Lastly. A piece of a yoga mat. Best kneeler/creeper you've ever bought for $3 at a garage sale.

I find with all of my vehicles, the best roadside repair is the maintenance you did last week.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

I just returned from a 60 day road trip covering 6, 440 miles with no major issues. On day 59 a good friend of mine and I pulled engine and gas tank and replace the tank with one that did not have a crack in it. It was leaking fumes into the cargo area and when completely full a little gas. It had been like that for at least fifteen years so it didn't HAVE to be changed but the Bus got back in better shape than when it left. Here's a link to the travelogue:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746534

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: