Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

whats under your decklid?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: whats under your decklid? Reply with quote

whats in your thing? as you can tell (from previous postings) im looking for ideas for my next motor. please do tell whats in yours and what it cost you. what are the positives and negatives to this setup. please go into detail if possible.

thanks fellas.

justin
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klokard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% bone stock. Just elbow grease and some powder coating. I still think it looks best.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a good deal for this engine, but I'd have to pay well north of 10k to replace it - It's a Jake Raby 2270 Torquer. With the Tangerine Exhaust, it's probably turning around 190HP. I had to upgrade the transmission, fuel system, suspension, brakes and engine mounts. I had to work out how to mount the oil cooler (and fan), oil filter, case breather, new coil, electronic ignition unit, fuel pump and fuel filter. I had to add a few gauges to track how the engine is behaving. Finally, I had to wire it all up and plumb all the fuel and oil lines. It took a lot longer than I anticipated.

In the final few months, I kept this thread updated: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=240180

It's been awesome! She's very fast - I can quickly kick up to 90MPH, but have yet to go beyond 95 - I'm not yet comfy enough with the steering going that fast. I can lay a nice patch of rubber, but more importantly, I can accelerate quickly, which is not always the same thing! I can beat most street muscle cars off the line because the Thing is usually less than half their weight, and the nice wide rear tires give me a lot of grip. I can cruise along the freeway at 60, decide to pass, then bang up to 80 within a few seconds.

The neatest bit is the throttle response. For years, I've driven cars that do little more than gasp when you mash too much on the accelerator. With an automatic, you're even more divorced from the road. With my Thing, the more you step in it, the more exciting it gets - the more you push down, the more it GOES!

With more power means a much better chance of breaking something too.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269802

But if you've got the money and inclination, I highly recommend it! Although I appreciate the "stock" purists, they stopped talking to me after I painted on the tiger stripes. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: whats under your decklid? Reply with quote

1915cc

Heads - 40mm intake, 35.5mm exhaust
Engle 120 cams
Chromoly pushrods
Stock rockers w/HD shafts
Crank - counterweighted
Clutch - 1700# Kennedy
Carbs - Dual Weber IDF 40
Deep Sump - Oil capacity 4.5L (note: cannot be used with engine brush guards.)
009 Distributor
External oil cooler with electric fan, mounted between transaxle and body.
Spin on oil filter
Oil pressure, oil temperature gauges

joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian i love your setup, although i cant afford a setup like that. id have to win the lottery. sorry to hear of you current problem. i follow these forums as much as i can, i read as frequently as possible on anything dealing with things, and vws in general. klokard your setup is cool too, ive seen the dual oil bathbefore, and when they pop up there not cheap. anyone else, please help me out here, and give me ideas.

justin
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain what was your overall cost, and how much hp do you think you get out of that motor? ive read a 90.5 bore can last 100K, where as a 94 will last only half that. how often do you drive that thing, and what purposes do you use it for? mine ill be driving all year round excluding winter and rainy days.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The neatest bit is the throttle response.

Thats in the design of that power plant.. I came to appreciate it very much as well, after 3,450 miles behind the wheel of the car it powered...

It must be experienced to be appreciated, isn't that right Ian??

I can't imagine driving a TI powered 181 ever again- its almost dangerous!
A bone stock TIV in a 181 is plenty and it can be done for less than a 1776 thats done right.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joosty_chin wrote:
captain how much hp do you think you get out of that motor? ive read a 90.5 bore can last 100K, where as a 94 will last only half that. how often do you drive that thing, and what purposes do you use it for? mine ill be driving all year round excluding winter and rainy days.

I can't say for sure what horsepower I get out of the 1915. It's peppy, but won't tap your head against the headrest like Ian's motor will. I was worried about the longevity of the motor as well. That's why I did the big sump/oil cooler/spin-on filter bit. Between those precautions and my (mostly) conservative driving style, my motor NEVER gets hot. Several sources told me I could expect 80k miles out of her. I'll let you know when I get there. Wink
I drive my Thing about half the time.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klokard wrote:
100% bone stock. Just elbow grease and some powder coating. I still think it looks best.

That's awesome, I'd love to do the dual air cleaners myself.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fhis is a great book with about all the options.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=BVB0043&cartid=

Go programmable EFI and you don't ever have to wory your carbs are too small or big as time goes by.
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=107659&highlight=
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=106354
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1776, but it looks stock as I just rejetted the 34pict.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say all of those engine bays look clean and nicely detailed!

I had the pleasure of getting a ride around the block with Ian a month ago and it was lots of fun. The motor pulls hard, sounds great and Jake would be proud that Ian likes to drop the hammer all the time and have fun!
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1641cc with "forged and graphited" Mahle cyl&pistons, all stock except this and pertronix ignitor+bosch blue coil.
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jake would be proud that Ian likes to drop the hammer all the time and have fun!

If you don't use it, why have it?
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have a generic 1600 in my car, but the S*rr*n*s 1776 longblock is itching to take its place! Cool

- Scott

P.S. Dammit Jake, your avatar is making me want a Pinz again!

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
GSD_Master
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, It's not really under the decklid yet but here it goes... it's a rebuilt 1641 with a scat serpantine belt system plus it's getting a new solex 34 carb, an alternator, bosh blue coil, a new (stock) exhaust system, and an electronic ignition. I hope to have it in by Christmas. What do you think? It's much better than what was in there.

After

Before

There will be NO missing engine tin when I put this engine in! I am so happy now. Very Happy
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture is old, but is the only one that I have before I took the car apart to do some repairs and waiting on a new tranny to be able to use the car again. Smile
Engine $9,500
Tranny $2,500
Plus extras things...

Regards,

vwracerdave wrote:
Be careful what you brag about because it may bite your ass in the end.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jake enlighten me on this type IV motor. will it be fine to use with the standard 181 transaxel? does it all bolt right up? 1776cc is seeming like a good choice, 1641 possibly too, both seem popular enough. guys dont forget to mention how much your setups have cost. lunatik i like the turbo idea tons, but again cant afford it. id be interested in something like that, but my local shop back home says there nothing but trouble. my criteria = practical, longevity, reliability, power and cost. thanks again guys keep up the postings
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joosty_chin wrote:
jake enlighten me on this type IV motor. will it be fine to use with the standard 181 transaxel? does it all bolt right up? 1776cc is seeming like a good choice, 1641 possibly too, both seem popular enough.

Here is Jake's site http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Type4.html

His engines start at $7000. I would think you would need a bus tranny at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joosty_chin wrote:
will it be fine to use with the standard 181 transaxel? does it all bolt right up?

He converts them to fit on a T1 tranny, and his conversion video tells you how to do it too - it's not difficult. I've heard that the stock T1 tranny can take a good deal of HP as long as you're gentle - no burnouts, gear slamming, etc.

GSD_Master wrote:
What do you think? It's much better than what was in there.

Nice! Much less duct tape too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: