Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Tiico converison is running really crappy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamus1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: My Tiico converison is running really crappy Reply with quote

I have a 1985 Vanagon with a Tiico conversion from a previous owner.
I read a tread on here sometime ago where some else with tiico conversion was having a "ticking noise" I was wondering what they did for that.
And
I've had several bad tanks of gas since owning it that have just about knock out my engine.
Currently I thought I was having the same problem, bad gas. I've changed the spark plugs, the fuel filter. And it still is running very poorly. It's not drive-able. When you step on the gas it does not respond at first, lot of knocking and sputtering, it will blow out some white smoke, and will level out to idle, but again if I put it in gear and try to drive it, it dies.
I think I may have to have it towed to a shop and have someone tell me what is wrong with it, then have it towed back to my house to repair. Water level, oil level and transmission are all ok.

Any insight, or advice would be awesome, I'm going to school right now and I'm living on a very tight budget.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what injection system are you running?
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it an actual Tiico kit, running all Tiico components it will be running Motronic MP 9.0 injection. the manual for this injection set up is available as a pdf on the Tiico web site.

You should hook it up to an OBD II code reader to see if anything comes up.
the ECU should be under the back seat (but is sometimes in the engine compartment, not a good place for it though)
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White smoke? Haven't heard of an issue with head gaskets and our Tiicos, but white exhaust means water. If you are getting white exhaust after the motor (and exhaust components) have heated up enough to burn out condensation, I'd be worrying about your head gasket or a cracked head.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeMinimis wrote:
White smoke? I'd be worrying about your head gasket or a cracked head.

yup Sad
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the ticking on my Tiico, thought it was lifters, turned out to be exhaust manifold gasket. Sounded just like a bad lifter!

My Tiico is running like crap too, sounds similar to your issue, she doesn't want to take the gas at first. If I lightly accelerate it does fine, if I stomp on it ,it wants to stall.

Unhooked o2 sensor, seems a little better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, that ticking is just the motor's way of telling me to check the oil. Those spiffy hydraulic lifters. Usually happens on startup. Goes away with the addition of sufficient oil to get back to the top mark.

Sorry to hear your rides are running like crap. Timing belt skip a tooth? As usual, it's impossible to help diagnose without actually being there, eh? BUst out the credit card and get it looked at soon, before it gets even more expensive to fix. Bon chance mes amis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH yeah. If you DO have to replace the headgasket, get the metal one! Much fun that job is... Someone told me 3 hrs of shoptime. HAH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shamus1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all the great input Reply with quote

I would be worried that it is head gasket, and something to do with water but my water level is fine and unchanging.

Does anyone in the Portland area have a OBD II code reader I could rent for a few hours for some beer or something? I could help out with repairs to your van for trade as well. I'm going to repost this as a seperate topic.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My Tiico converison is running really crappy Reply with quote

shamus1970 wrote:
. And it still is running very poorly. It's not drive-able. When you step on the gas it does not respond at first, lot of knocking and sputtering, it will blow out some white smoke, and will level out to idle, but again if I put it in gear and try to drive it, it dies.

I have seen responses regarding white smoke and head gasket issues (i.e. it's burning coolant) And I totally agree. White smoke *might* mean a head gasket issue.

Not to mislead anyone, but what colour smoke would one get if the engine is burning the fuel poorly? More along the lines of blue?

Is the colour of smoke for sure white?

I'm thinking if it totally bogs when gas is stepped on, that it could be that the 1 or more cylinders is getting more fuel than it can burn.

What colour are your spark plugs?

Any signs of oil in the coolant?

Neil.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
shamus1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: No oil in coolant Reply with quote

what I thought orginally was that I had gotten some cheap gas, the coolant level hasn't moved, gone down or gone up. The number one spark plug has some oil on it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil in coolant Reply with quote

shamus1970 wrote:
what I thought orginally was that I had gotten some cheap gas, the coolant level hasn't moved, gone down or gone up. The number one spark plug has some oil on it.

Oh ok.

Well if I might, I'd recommend checking all the plugs. At the very least, if any show other than the normal tan, or possibly carbon-ish appearance, it will direct you to the problem a little easier.

And perform a visual inspection of the coolant. From what I know, if the head gasket is going/gone south, you *may* see signs of oil in the coolant.

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
shamus1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: thanks again :-) Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should post this over at the yahoo Tiico group. I dont think that you would notice your coolant level decreasing just having it running in your driveway, or even on short drives around the neighborhood, it doesnt take alot of water to make what looks like alot of steam, especially in winter.

It sounds to me like you've got head or head gasket problems. Not too common in Tiicos, as far as I know, but no unheard of either.

If you start checking the plugs, blow or brush off the area on the head where the plugs screw in to avoid having crap fall into the plug holes.

Good luck

-Glenn
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: