Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint spline size issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
monoturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

A couple of summers ago, I took it a little too fast on a forest service road, and when I hit the pavement again, I noticed a small knocking in the right side CV joint area. The inside right CV joint allen bolts had gotten loose. I tightened them up, but the knocking persisted. I ordered a replacement CV joint a little over a year ago, but only got around to swapping it out this weekend (the knocking was very mild). I ordered the heavy duty version from Bus Depot since I am sometimes on rough roads:

https://www.busdepot.com/251598101

When I started to put the new joint on, I immediately noticed that the splined surface area of the new joint is larger than the splined surface on the axle. So either a) I have the wrong size axle or b) the part I got from BD is incorrect. I'm guessing that I have the original axles, but I'm not 100% positive.

Measuring with my caliper, I measured the axle splined surface to be 26.0mm. And the new CV joint measures about 27.0mm. Here are some photos of my measurements and a little video showing how the new CV doesn't fit:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhbVMqv3JFQqq5ZQA

I've contacted BD to see if anyone else has had this issue, but it's a holiday weekend so it may be a few days before I hear back from them.

Does anyone know what the axle spline surface should measure? I've done some searching and could not find a conclusive answer.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

Canít give you a measurement today, but your van might have an aftermarket shaft after all these years.
monoturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

Thanks, and I should have mentioned this is a 1985 Westy.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

Ive changed out a lot of CV shafts/ joints an there are anumber of different shaft sizes. Compare any two aftermarket with an OEM and you will likely find three different sizes.
Bet yours isnt original. Its been 35 years since it rolled off the lot.
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
monoturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

That's good to know. I'm thinking I might be better off buying a complete unit like this, then keeping the Lobro joint around for when that one fails:

https://www.busdepot.com/251501203g

Since it might be difficult to figure out the CV joint to fit my axle.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

I just measured a good Lobro CV that I have as a spare. I measured 26.73mm inside. So I think your axle is indeed a little small for a standard CV. Can you service your old CV joint? How bad is it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by termuehlen on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
monoturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

There's some pitting on the bearing cage which I think was the cause of the knocking in the first place. The other parts look fine to my eye. I suppose I could put it back together, but I'd be worried I'd have the issue again. Here's a photo of the wear I see:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sqmXGD5gCPRTYf6j8
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

monoturbo wrote:
That's good to know. I'm thinking I might be better off buying a complete unit like this, then keeping the Lobro joint around for when that one fails:

https://www.busdepot.com/251501203g

Since it might be difficult to figure out the CV joint to fit my axle.

Iíd verify with BD that your cv will work with that shaft. What about the other side? Time to see what you got there. Generally the cv bolts wonít back out because you were on a rough road. They were likely not torqued to spec and may be missing the lock washers.
monoturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

I have not taken a look at the other side, but you're right, I should. The bolts that backed out DID have the lock washers, so it was probably a torquing problem.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

Having a good spare CV joint with you at all times is a good idea. Buying a $99 complete axle with CVs is a bad idea. If you want to replace your axle, spend the money to get the best you can. It should save you a lot of trouble down the road.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint spline size issue Reply with quote

I do not know of any axle sets that have quality CVs. YMMV.

In your situation I would look for a goos used stock axle and put lobros on it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

Join the Vanagon Rescue Squad on the VanAlert app.
http://vanalert.com/

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: