Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to spot a 21 or 23 Clone ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: How to spot a 21 or 23 Clone ? Reply with quote

I am more of a Vanagon guy, but interested in obtaining a 21 or 23 window Split bus. I have seen a lot that have been put together from donor parts windows roofs etc..

What do I look for when looking for the real deal ?

I want an investment vehicle and would not be that interested in a repro.

Does the VIN tell anything about the config from the factory?

Thanks
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
IN2RUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Real way to tell is by a birth certificate. Also make sure it has belly pans. Also a good indication is the wiring will run through a tube in the belly pan and not have tabs in that area. But really only birth cert.
Motel65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a non expert i would saythat it would be just as easy to clone the VIN number
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motel65 wrote:
As a non expert i would saythat it would be just as easy to clone the VIN number

Very true, I hear about people switching out the vins to make a 21 or 23 quite often. Belly pans are not such an easy swap, and are usually a good indicator of a fake. Sometime it can be very hard to tell, take your time and if you are the slightest bit suspicious, I would walk!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know buses from the inside out its way easy to tell. A vin wont always be able to help but key areas can and will tell the difference.

I ran into a guy who claimed his bus was a real 23 and had push button front door openers. I asked to open the rear decklid and sure enough there were all the tattletales of a 21 with a corner window bus being grafted on. Psssshhh... C`mon!
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinwindows wrote:
If you know buses from the inside out its way easy to tell. A vin wont always be able to help but key areas can and will tell the difference.

I ran into a guy who claimed his bus was a real 23 and had push button front door openers. I asked to open the rear decklid and sure enough there were all the tattletales of a 21 with a corner window bus being grafted on. Psssshhh... C`mon!

What about that guy at pomona slanging the fake 23? You called him out on his welds...
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M-code plate should have a Deluxe model code. Model 241 or 251 if this is a USA Bus. It should NOT have M-code 130 either, which would mean it was originally a hardtop Deluxe.

This is assuming the M-code plate is intact and original. If it's for investment purposes, I would pass on any Bus missing any VIN plates or M-code plate.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60DoubleTurd
Type 3 Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I am looking at a REAL 15 it SHOULD have the 130 on the MCode plate right?

SBS #17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60DoubleTurd wrote:
So if I am looking at a REAL 15 it SHOULD have the 130 on the MCode plate right?

Yes, unless someone converted a 13-Window into a 15-Window.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60DoubleTurd
Type 3 Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure it is the real deal. It still has OG paint dash and OG paint under black primer. I hope it has the MCode plate on it still. It was in the woods under a tree for years.

SBS #17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wanta23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60DoubleTurd wrote:
I am pretty sure it is the real deal. It still has OG paint dash and OG paint under black primer. I hope it has the MCode plate on it still. It was in the woods under a tree for years.

Why don't you tell me where it's at, under the tree, and I'll go check it out Wink I'll let you know what I buy, I mean find Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motel65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure its a real tree though ....and not just some fake Christmas tree someones grafted on..... i hear that happens all the time
60DoubleTurd
Type 3 Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanta23 wrote:
60DoubleTurd wrote:

Why don't you tell me where it's at, under the tree, and I'll go check it out Wink I'll let you know what I buy, I mean find Very Happy

Its all done and done and is no where near any trees anymore. I'll let you buy.....I mean see it when I am finished with it and its $35K. Cool

SBS #17
wanta23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60DoubleTurd wrote:
wanta23 wrote:
60DoubleTurd wrote:

Its all done and done and is no where near any trees anymore. I'll let you buy.....I mean see it when I am finished with it and its $35K. Cool

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 21 walk through I am looking at is the real deal. It's a 67 with some rust and totally drivable. Some stuff is a bit off, but fixable.

I did a vin check on the bus vin check site and it came up with "Built on: August 1966"

It has chrome speedo ring, clock, chrome ash tray, deluxe trim, jail bars, OEM glass, belly pans and I see no evidence of any body work (headliner is all removed). Radio looks to be opened to din size (Junk cd player installed)? There are some odd holes drilled in the nose around the VW badge with plugs in them. Front safari windows poorly installed. All side glass has pop out hinges with painted trim.

I did get the VIN, but being the novice I am could not locate the Vin tag or M plate? Where do I find those.

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I might be picking this one up. I will post pictures upon delivery.
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are on the right track. most hacks don't install belly pans. very important. For me when trying to make sure are belly pans, and m-code 130.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics?
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post some pics soon. I am stripping it out, needs to visit the metal guy soon. Front floor is Toast, rear cargo floor, pretty bad, dash hacked for a crap radio (I found a donor section), lots of minor rust bites all over it, frame is solid, passenger side walk through partially cut. Crap $400.00 paint job, Surfer boy teal. Has good Velvet Green and pearl White under the trim and wheel wells.

M codes and VIN are all correct. True early 1967 21 window.

I think I paid a bit too much, but oh well at least I will be building what I want. I think she will sort out nicely.
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
mandysbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete000 wrote:
I will post some pics soon. I am stripping it out, needs to visit the metal guy soon. Front floor is Toast, rear cargo floor, pretty bad, dash hacked for a crap radio (I found a donor section), lots of minor rust bites all over it, frame is solid, passenger side walk through partially cut. Crap $400.00 paint job, Surfer boy teal. Has good Velvet Green and pearl White under the trim and wheel wells.

M codes and VIN are all correct. True early 1967 21 window.

I think I paid a bit too much, but oh well at least I will be building what I want. I think she will sort out nicely.
67s did have a big square radio hole.......they take a 67 only blockoff plate
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this one is cut super big ! They sawed half the fins out ! I hate hacks ! They did leave the stock dash speaker intact though.
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: