Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MOFOCO - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: May 09, 2023
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone who owns an aircooled VW is capable of being a mechanic!
You want me to toss some blame the mechanic's way, fine. His brain was out to lunch when he ran-in that engine. But you don't see a dozen links to forums knocking his work, because he only deals with a fraction of the customers MoFoCo does. They are the bigger problem here.

Mechanics exist for a reason. Some people do not understand how things work. That does not make them open season for crooks. Whenever you take your TV in for repair, take your pants to the drycleaners, dine out at a restaurant, you are entrusting someone not to FUCK you. And eventually, someone does. If you think that's fair you must be one independent and knowledgeable guy.
spookymulder
Samba Proletariat

Location: I'm either at 95608, 97537 or 94708 only my CPA knows for sure

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it amazing that when something breaks they always blame the guy who built the engine and when someone says it could be any number of people along the way such as the guy who put on the ancillaries or did the timing, OH NO that couldn't be because I heard that builder sucks or that they do bad work and I know this because.......First if this guy complaining isn't enough of a wrench to time his new engine then why did he do the intall??? Why not pay an expert not just a mechanic to do the install and the timing, why because he's cheap and this is not necessarily a bad thing, as we are all that way to a certain extent. Did he get a second opinion from an expert VW mechanic before he started bitchin out MOFOCO, didn't sound like it to me. My point is this if you have the time to bitch on the net you have time to get a manual and not just any manual a BENTLEY MANUAL these engines have numerous crank pulley variations and timing mark changes from year to year and just a mechanic without the manual may get it wrong very easily. I have tuned my own engine by ear and had the same results, runs hot, no power etc. doesn't matter how good it sounds at idle. I have used a strobe timing light and not done much better either. The way to get it RIGHT ON timing wise is to use a digital and have the correct pulley and marks located so you KNOW you have it right. The thing that amazes me most is we know he knows how to use his computer and we have a Tech Forum here on the Samba and I never saw ONE question for help from this guy on the problems he was having, but he did have numerous posts on this thread rallying support for his cause. So until he can demonstrate he has enough humility to ask for help on the problem he doesn't get the sweat off my nuts in sympathy for being DUMB! I can see why MOFOCO doesn't want to take things back when there are so many variables in the process, they are a business dealing with amatures and most definetly should have a disclaimer that any engine sold should have a ASE certified mechanic complete the install for the warranty to be valid but then they must know why they don't do this either. For this complaint or any other to have any validity for me the complainer would have to demonstrate that he knows which end of a screwdriver to hold on to!
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the age of these vehicles, if you do not know how to do some wrenching on them then you are truely IN TROUBLE. It would be different if there was still a VW dealership support for these vehicles and you could just take it in like any other car. BUT THOSE TIMES ARE WAY PAST. Ok So MOFOCO might have screwed up his engine, BUT so might have the original mechanic, your argument about not being informed about the repairs being made on your vehicle are down right irresponsible. At no time would I hand anything I own over to someone else to fix it without being informed as to what exactly they were going to do to it. If you want a vehicle that someone can pop an engine in and you can just toodle around town in, buy a HONDA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathBus wrote:
your argument about not being informed about the repairs being made on your vehicle are down right irresponsible. At no time would I hand anything I own over to someone else to fix it without being informed as to what exactly they were going to do to it.

LOL. You guys are real humanitarians. I promise I will never come crying to you guys next time I get FUCKED by a mechanic or a rebuilder. Spooky, those are pretty complicated instructions, you wanna send it to ROY cause he was the last one to time kesgd's engine?

I am done with this post. Browbeating is reserved for the rants section. I am sure nobody wants to read this crap out here. See you there guys.

By the way, ALL GUYS WHO UNDERSTAND THEIR GIRLFRIEND RAISE THEIR HAND.

Nobody? Here's a lifetime supply of kleenex and hand cream. Enjoy the single life
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all I wanted to know was if the guy checked into what his mechanic did when HE installed the engine, thats the only true way to find who is at fault. As I have stated, the reason I started building my own engines was for the very reason why the original poster posted this thread. I do feel for the guy who got taken on this, BUT walking in blindly and handing someone big $$ for an engine plus more $$ for the install, you better know whats going on and who you are getting to do the work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I have stated, the reason I started building my own engines was for the very reason why the original poster posted this thread.

I started building engines for the same reasons in the late 70s.After 100s of engines sold to the public over the years,you do get some customers who just will not be happy no matter what you do.I'm not some big well known engine builder by any means,but I've been around the block a few times and take pride in the work I do.It's just how it is,you just can't make every customer happy.None of us were there,so who's to judge.I'm sure the original poster of this thread now sees the merits of useing a local that can handle the job and solve any problems that may come up. [/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Thanks and I'm sorry...... Reply with quote

First, I want to thank whoever you two are for backing up at least some of what I said concerning what may be wrong with the engine, if anything. Second, I want to apologize for how the customer was treated, we could have done a much better job of customer service. Last, in August of last year, I took over all of the engine building at Mofoco. I have one builder who works with me and we put together about 200 engines last year. This includes type 1's, type 2's, shortblocks, longblocks, completes and stroker's. I had two engines returned last year. The first was a 2165 with a new aluminum case. It was dripping between the case halves. There was no apparent reason, I used permatex. So I fixed it for free. The second engine was making a lot of noise. It was a longblock when we sold it and when I disassembled it, I found a sheetmetal screw that had been dropped down the intake. After a long discussion, the customer finally admitted that he might have dropped it down there since he lost one while putting it together. So, what I'm trying to say is that I read all these internet posts and decided to do something about it. I know we haven't been perfect in the past, but we are no where as bad as some people want to make out. Now, since I took over, I haven't let one engine go that I didn't think was absolutely perfect and I have had no complaints in the last year about how our engines are built.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a couple engines from MOFOCO that I thought were not very well constructed. One I took in trade apparently had too much inter ference in the timing gears and loosened the cam gear rivets. It ran very wierdly. My ex-wife sold a '65 bus I fixed up for her and took a superbug in trade. Guys selling point was MOFOCO engine. When I fixed a crank-seal leak, the end play would not adjust below .006" where the crank locked against the main and still moved .006". I've seen far worse in rebuilds from CA or someplace. Didn't they explain to you why they don't guarantee the rebuild? I sincerly hope that you and they can come to some happy resolution. It'd be sad to think you'd been burned. Maybe somebody local (where are you?) can steer you to a good used one if it doesn't work out (and help you install it w/o paying shop-rate labor) Everybody!, before you throw down your hard-earned money for anything, do some research, ask some others about their experiences, and (My Mama tole me), you better shop around. I mostly have fixed my own, so I can't recomend any one, sorry.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justusbuses wrote:
Guys selling point was MOFOCO engine. When I fixed a crank-seal leak, the end play would not adjust below .006" where the crank locked against the main and still moved .006".

I suppose the previous owner could have ragged on/ or lugged the engine and beat the rear thrust out of it thus the bad end play setting?

justusbuses wrote:
I sincerly hope that you and they can come to some happy resolution.

I guess some of the latest posters to this thread did not see that is orginally started nearly 2 years ago? And that the originator of the thread could probably have avoided the whole ordeal if someone had of timed the engine or double checked the timing in the first place.

Not sticking up for anyone here but there are "2 sides to every story"

I think Roy's doing the right thing trying to gain back customer confidence.
Only time will tell if his taking over the engine assembly side of the operartion will be able to overcome the years of negative remarks...
Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad to say it's going to take 3-4 years of perfect engine building and customer service to turn that reputation around. It's going to be a tough road for sure.

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fast67Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: MOFOCO Reply with quote

I have some experience with Mofoco engines my Dad bought one from them about 18 years ago it was a complete long block with flywheel installed he put approx 700 miles on it and the flywheel fell off he called up Mofoco and told them what had happened and they said to him you must have installed the engine incorrectly and you prob didnt torque the flywheel to the proper spec My Dad replied with "Why should I have torqued the flywheel I bought the engine as a complete longblock you (mofoco) installed the flywheel "by the way my Dad has been working on aircooled VW's for 40+ years he worked at the dealership as a Tech. back in the 60's he also opened up a repair shop and parts store in 1985 he still has 3 AC vw's and now lives in So Cal if you need his opinion on his engine feel free to email him [email protected] Rolling Eyes I guess what Mofoco was trying to tell my Dad is when you receive a complete engine rip the whole engine apart and check all specs before you install it in your car (wonder if this will void the warranty?) d'oh!
For parts sales its Better to call number listed below I can only check emails 1:30-10:30 CST
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see that roy from moffoco to let us know he is trying..

The number of low priced engine (re)builders and dwindled & with BAP no longer doing engines I would strongly suggest this as an Excellent opportunity for Mofoco to prove itself.

Yes, I know someone personally who had an engine from Mofoco with some flywheel problem (can't remeber the story but he is an experienced VW mechanic himself ) and he told me never to use them. From all the posts, etc. I know that I am not alone. But surely not _every_ motor Mofoco sells is bad.

Roy, you sound like you are trying to take the shop in a new (better) direction and I would like to remind people in the forum that resources for old VW's are now dwindling and becoming muy $$$, so maybe we can all you this as an opportunity.

As far as the disgruntled customer goes, you seems pretty emotional ( which is understandable ) but maybe there is something ( even tiny little thing ) on your end which we need to know?

I am not sure suing and burying VW shops really helps any of us get/keep/drive our cars...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

precious_ponies wrote:
I am glad to see that roy from moffoco to let us know he is trying..

I bought a ALL NEW (except for the pushrods) Mofoco engine that was a total peice of Junk. The head had a dropped valve at less than 10 grand on the motor. The cam was bad and kept eating the cam thrust bearing. I called and they made me feel like a criminal.

Yeah they are all nice to you until you get the product.

I WOULD NEVER RECCOMEND MOFOCO for ANYTHING.

In fact when I called them the last time I told them I was going to put up a web page that says how bad their product and service is. They reccomended that I don't.

1600$ for a piece of junk motor that had to be torn down 3 times THANKS MOFOCO !
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: