Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Westy + Subaru EJ25 in 31 Days?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Minor updates Reply with quote

I wanted to let all of you know that Smallcar warrantied the muffler. They turned the new one around very quickly. Nice to have it back.

In the 30-50 challenge on another thread (30-50 in 3rd gear) I came up with some dismal times with the 1.9 muffler. 14 seconds or so. I switched to a 2.1 muffler that I had around. No real change. Today I bolted the Smallcar muffler back on and got a variety of times. Conditions (van about 1/3 full of tools, camping stuff, mild winds) Got times of 10-13 seconds. I know this isn't very controlled, but I think the old mufflers may be overly restrictive for the Subie engine. On the other hand, others were getting much faster times than mine.

So I'm happy with the power, but am wondering if I'm missing some for some reason. Or maybe my differences are due to the slightly larger tires (5% difference in speedo and gps). or weight.

1)I'm not convinced that the butterfly valve in the throttle is opening as far as it could. I have it adjusted the throttle cable as much as I can, but it doesn't open all the way. Maybe some more power there.

2)My intake has a bit of a restriction - the muffler shop doesn't have a mandrel bender and there is a noticeable kink in the bend on one of the intake pipes.

3) Water temperature. The water temperature that is read off the Subie temp sender rarely reads over 175 degrees per the Scangage. Is it possible that an overly rich mixture is being fed to the engine because it isn't up to full operating temp yet?

Also, I added up most of my gas receipts. Spent about 1100 on gas for the 4600 mile trip. This was with 3 adults, 1 kid, three bikes on back tons of food, tools and beer. Thankfully the tools were not needed. Beer was replenished along the way.

Best tank 23.31 MPG for 264 miles from Livingston MT (through Yellowstone - 45-50mph for 75 miles) to Dubois, WY.
Worst tank = 14.38mpg Central Utah~WINDY
Unweighted average = 18.14MPG

I only drove on Interstates for approximately 600 miles out of the 4600 miles on the trip. Looks like my gas mileage on those portions was 14.6 (Missoula to Bozeman = 75mph) to about 16.6 (Eugene, OR to Seattle 65-70 I think). Most other driving 55-65mph.

Headed to Taos this weekend.
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that Small Car took care of you on the muffler. I'm also glad to see that the SC stainless muffler seems to breath better than the stock setup since I invested in the same muffler. I hope the internal self-destruction does not turn out to be an inherent problem with these things... hopefully it was just one faulty muffler rather than a design flaw.
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Minor updates Reply with quote

ranchero wrote:

So I'm happy with the power, but am wondering if I'm missing some for some reason...

How about: you're in Colorado! Very Happy

Good writeup - every one of these threads I read through nudges me closer to doing my own conversion...
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Minor updates Reply with quote

ranchero wrote:

1)I'm not convinced that the butterfly valve in the throttle is opening as far as it could. I have it adjusted the throttle cable as much as I can, but it doesn't open all the way. Maybe some more power there.

There is a mod described in the SubaruVanagon files for drilling the control horn under the pedal to change the range. I didn't seem to have the problem, but I'm a 2.2L and I made my own reversed sector throttle cam.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done the 30-50 challenge yet, but plan to do so when I have my new muffler ready to bolt on.

I have the stock 2.1 cat and muffler on my 2.2 and I feel like it is pretty restrictive, kind of like there is extra weight always in the Van. Also, I think the KEP air intake system could be less restrictive for more flow.

But with the muffler, I just picked up a Stainless Porsche 911SC single in single out muffler. I am then going to use a stainless resonator test pipe instead of the cat. That Porsche muffler is really big - 2.5 inlet and it is meant for 3.2 litres (I think). TriStar Eric swears by them for his conversions. I feel the stock muffler just can not keep up with all that extra air the Subie pumps out, especially when you are shifting at 5 or 6k rpms. So when I have this ready to bolt on, I will then do the 30-50 challenge with each system.

paul
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.2 Subie Syncro Westy with a GM hi-po truck muffler that I found just a little bit too loud for my tastes so I went to my local muffler shop and found a slightly used Dodge Viper muffler for $45. The Viper came stock with an exhaust setup quiet enough to meet federal noise standards for the onboard V10 engine. Well, nobody wants a QUIET Viper so a local Dodge dealer here in the SF Bay area offered an aftermarket exhaust package on the new Vipers and my local muffler shop did the work so they had a dozen or so of these monsters sitting in the rack. It is a 6" round, 21" long stainless beast made out of heavy stock because of the high exhaust temps of the Viper. The inlet and outlet are 2.5" which I'll reduce to 2.25" to fit my CAT and tailpipe. The inlet is offset and the outlet is centered. I got it yesterday and will install it in a few days and report back. Viper onboard. LOL.

Jeff / San Anselmo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the throttle mod that RichBen mentioned. Definitely led to a bit more throttle opening.

I also wanted to make a plug for the enginewiring.com speed sensor simulator. I just installed it. Previously I had the smallcar one. That one seemed to work ok, but I had a persistent cut out on long (30seconds- several minutes) high-speed hills that felt like the engine just running out of fuel. It felt like it just shut off, but then if I let off the gas for a second, I could go right back to full throttle for another 30-60 seconds. Rinse, repeat. I tried a new fuel filter, spare fuel pump. No go. Someone suggested VSS issue.

So I just installed the enginewiring.com VSS ($40) and the symptoms are gone. I was also having an intermittent stalling issue coming to a complete stop after a long highway run. Not sure, but that seems to have disappeared as well.
Steve
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranchero wrote:
I did the throttle mod that RichBen mentioned. Definitely led to a bit more throttle opening.

I also wanted to make a plug for the enginewiring.com speed sensor simulator. I just installed it. Previously I had the smallcar one. That one seemed to work ok, but I had a persistent cut out on long (30seconds- several minutes) high-speed hills that felt like the engine just running out of fuel. It felt like it just shut off, but then if I let off the gas for a second, I could go right back to full throttle for another 30-60 seconds. Rinse, repeat. I tried a new fuel filter, spare fuel pump. No go. Someone suggested VSS issue.

So I just installed the enginewiring.com VSS ($40) and the symptoms are gone. I was also having an intermittent stalling issue coming to a complete stop after a long highway run. Not sure, but that seems to have disappeared as well.
Steve

Dude,

Time and time again I hear stories of the Smallcar VSS "sort of working," not working," or "acting funny." Let us know your final impressions of the enginewiring.com VSS simulator after you've put some more miles on it.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered what exactly the Subaru VSS feeds to the ECU on a manual trans. I would borrow an oscilloscope and take a peek but my Outback is auto. I wish I knew someone in the Salt Lake City area with a manual Subaru... preferably 2000-2004 2.5L that would trust me to tap into their ECU signal. I suspect that Small Car has the pulses right, but I wonder if the duration of those pulses needs to be tweaked... or maybe it's not really a square wave. A 'scope on the VSS signal would tell us all that.
kendalwoolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauges:
Hey ranchero,
Do you have any pictures of the gauges you installed in your Vanagon? Where did you mount them, I am going to be adding some gauges to my vanagon and need some suggestions. I wanted to mount them on top of the ashtray, has anyone seen this done?

Kendal
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rs4-380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranchero wrote:

Steve

This is good to know. My smallcar vss is in the doesn't work at all camp. Engine runs fine but won't rev over ~42k (not that I ever drive in that range). The signal generator is a better idea anyway, I've placed an order for one.
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put around 1200 miles on the Enginewiring pulse generator and so far so good. From a cold start the rpm can be a bit sporadic. Sometimes it will quiet right down to proper idle, other times it will sit at 1500-2000 until driven a bit then behaves for the most part but no stalling.
95 jetta GLX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenmag wrote:
I've put around 1200 miles on the Enginewiring pulse generator and so far so good. From a cold start the rpm can be a bit sporadic. Sometimes it will quiet right down to proper idle, other times it will sit at 1500-2000 until driven a bit then behaves for the most part but no stalling.

What year is the EJ22 and ECU ? Was the donor car a manual or automatic ? I had the same problem you describe with my Enginewiring.com VSS simulator. It would usually need several minutes of warm-up before always idling around 650 rpm. If cold, it would idle above 1,200 to 1,500 rpm when coming to a stop. After the engine warmed to a certain point it would behave normally so it was never a big deal, just slightly annoying.

You are the first person besides myself to report "initial high idle" with the Enginewiring.com VSS simulator. My ECU and EJ22 engine were from the same 1992 manual car.

Interesting,

Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendalwoolf wrote:
Gauges:
Hey ranchero,
Do you have any pictures of the gauges you installed in your Vanagon? Where did you mount them, I am going to be adding some gauges to my vanagon and need some suggestions. I wanted to mount them on top of the ashtray, has anyone seen this done?

Kendal

Someone posted this a while back. Very Nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the gauge setup that I used.

I think it is the same one that Brent Weide used. I bought everything from egauges.com. I haven't screwed it into the dash yet. Seems to stay put pretty well.

kendalwoolf wrote:
Gauges:
Hey ranchero,

Kendal

izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attached mine to the cluster cover. No holes in the dash and cluster covers are cheap if I want to change back. I'm 6' tall so no issues with the steering wheel blocking the gauges. The pod was $9 on eBay and gauges are from eGauges. I shaved the bottom of the pod a bit to fit the slight curve of the cluster cover. Wired the gauges through the dash light dimmer via a three pin plug so I can take the cluster cover off completely. Only downside is that there is a slight reflection on the windshield at night but overall I like having the gauges in my line of sight while driving.

Jeff

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice setup Izzydog. The pressure and temperature demons will not catch you sleeping.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, OilNBolts. The bulbs in little gauges are slightly brighter than the big gauge bulbs but I should be paying more attention to those anyway so it all works out.

Jeff
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterKV wrote:
kenmag wrote:

What year is the EJ22 and ECU ? Was the donor car a manual or automatic ? I had the same problem you describe with my Enginewiring.com VSS simulator. It would usually need several minutes of warm-up before always idling around 650 rpm. If cold, it would idle above 1,200 to 1,500 rpm when coming to a stop. After the engine warmed to a certain point it would behave normally so it was never a big deal, just slightly annoying.

You are the first person besides myself to report "initial high idle" with the Enginewiring.com VSS simulator. My ECU and EJ22 engine were from the same 1992 manual car.

Interesting,

Chester

Hi Chester, interesting findings there.
I bought the '94 EJ22 with all the essential electronics sight unseen and got it crated and shipped to me. The donor car's VIN indicated it was a A/T but the computer is the AB770 which apparently was used in M/T vehicles and the A/T should have had an AB760. I don't think this is a big problem as both the A/T and M/T vehicles used the same MAFM, igniter and IAC valve on 1994 models. Though where I got the engine from assured me everything came from the same A/T donor. Go figure. Now that I've racked about 30K trouble free miles I feel pretty confident I got a good engine, but next time I'd prefer to see the running donor.
95 jetta GLX
Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendalwoolf wrote:
Gauges:
Hey ranchero,

Kendal

I'd be interested to see some gauge installations too. I've seen a few up 2 1/16" guages on the dashboard using the ashtray to route wiring. But I'm thinking of using larger Auto Meter 2 5/8" gauges just in front of the shifter on the covering under the radio.

Marc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: