Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Steering box Reply with quote

So i replaced my old steering box with a new one because i ran out of adjustment on it and my wheel was loose. Well i got thenew steering box on but now the steering it too tight and the adjuster is loosened all the way out., there is also little bit ofplay in the wheel, like ten degrees. Another thing noticed is when i turn the wheel i hear a creaking sound, but can't seem to track it down.

any help would be greatly appreciated
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get it? What brand?

Mine was a little tight, and it worked loose over time, and I had to adjust it tighter after about 1000 miles. Make sure it is lubed properly, and give it a chance to loosen up.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you didn't buy it from CIP1... They sell bad steering boxes!
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a brand new TRW. Wheel turns and everything, just doesn't return back after turning, just stays in position. Also the creaking sound sounds like it's coming from the ball joints?
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyler wrote:
it's a brand new TRW. Wheel turns and everything, just doesn't return back after turning, just stays in position. Also the creaking sound sounds like it's coming from the ball joints?

Had the same problem with my TRW box.It was too tight and didn't return to center. For my adjustment, I backed the top adjustment off 1/8 of a turn from where it was and then I adjusted the bottom adjustment ..... the HUGE hex nut and inverted star adjuster. You get to it from the bottom of the car. I used a fan clutch wrench for Mopar fan clutches....fits the nut perfect and a big nut that fit into the adjuster to turn it and adjust it. Just backed it off slightly. It loosened it and now it finally returns to center.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:
Kyler wrote:

Had the same problem with my TRW box.It was too tight and didn't return to center. For my adjustment, I backed the top adjustment off 1/8 of a turn from where it was and then I adjusted the bottom adjustment ..... the HUGE hex nut and inverted star adjuster. You get to it from the bottom of the car. I used a fan clutch wrench for Mopar fan clutches....fits the nut perfect and a big nut that fit into the adjuster to turn it and adjust it. Just backed it off slightly. It loosened it and now it finally returns to center.

thanks i'll try it out, just have to track down a huge hex wrench
El Cookie Monster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having the same issue. I just get play on one side but all of this just happend when i installed a narrowed 6" beam. i took it to a mechanic to see if he can fix it but all he said that my box was no good, but it was working fine with the stock beam. please help!!!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel-locks may work to loosen the nut. Then use a large bolt head that fits the adjuster, and grab the threads with vice grips (or file two flats and use a wrench).

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
nucks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any pic. of how to tighten the sterring box. my stering is very lose and I dont know how to tighten it.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vw-resource.com/steering_box_adjustment.html
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5spoke66 wrote:
i'm having the same issue. I just get play on one side but all of this just happend when i installed a narrowed 6" beam. i took it to a mechanic to see if he can fix it but all he said that my box was no good, but it was working fine with the stock beam. please help!!!

What kind of play? If your box was fine on your old beam it should be fine on your narrowed beam. The beams have nothing to do with it. Make sure your box is lined up straight with the steering shaft and not at a slight angle up or down or too far left or right. That can cause the steering to bind as it tries to turn since its not turning in a perfect circle.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ovalteen:

Do you happen to know the size of the Mopar wrench you used, and big nut that fits into the adjuster? I have been trying to figure out what tool to use to adjust the big HEX nut. I have the same problem with the wheel not returning to center and tried everything over the past year. Thanks
figitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put my 2 cents in here... I also replaced my box cause my old one was just not adjusting and very worn. Play in the wheel is the main reason. The new box from JBUGS was worse than the one i had... with almost 2 inches of play in the wheel when centered. I was able to adjust some of that out, but its still in the 1 inch range at center.

Is it normal for this car to have a certain amount of play in the wheel..?
Ive replaced every single item in the suspension on this car, and im at my wits end... this play is driving me nuts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: