Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference between 911's
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ma'ili Pt Westy
Samba Member

Location: Woodside, California (located in Northern California)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Difference between 911's Reply with quote

I've been told that one of the best years for the 911's are the '87 - mid '89.
What are the difference from the previous years (early 80's to '86) is the only difference the engine size and the transmission?
I like the body style of the pre '90's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real quick

in 87 they went to the G50 transmission
prior to that they used the 915

84 went to the 3.2liter carrera engine
77?-83 was the 3.0 liter
74-76 was 2.7 liter

in 85 the seats were lowered 1/2" helps if your are over 6' tall

i own a factory 84 491 (wide body) optioned car
if it was me i would buy a carrera. they are pretty bulletproof

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the information above is correct, but the stock 911's in 77 were 2.7 as well.

I believe 75 might be 76, there was a special edition of the 911 model named Carrera that had the 3.0. The regular designators on the 911 were 911 and 911 S for 74-76.

1978 was the first year of the SC with the 3.0 and 915 tranny.
-the 3.0 is a tough engine and some say the best, but the fuel injection is CIS, which includes vaccum leaks and all the goodies
1983 was the last year of the SC

1984 was the first year of the 3.2 with the 915 tranny
-the 3.2 is a tough engine some say the best, but it has a DME brain which controls, fuel injection, timing, and everything else.
1987 was the same 3.2 but switched to a beefier tranny in the form of the G50

Most front ends look the same but as they progressed the rear flares got wider and wider. In 74-77 years the rears were really skinny, 6" wheels would fit and with mods 7" wheels can be made to fit. In 78 when the SC came out, the flares allowed for 7" wheels with no mods. In 84 you could fit 8" wheels with no mods in the rear. Then they also had widebody versions of the 3.2 that would allow 9" wheels.

Interiors stayed very much the same with small changes over the years. A/C was available but it never was really great. Early cars had dealer installed A/C, later it was factory. 3.2 has the "best" A/C. Not really a concern for many buyers.

The advice is always buy the newest Porsche you can afford and then set aside some extra money to fix the broken or little issues. It is also wise to have a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) done on any of these cars.
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pookie wrote:
Most of the information above is correct, but the stock 911's in 77 were 2.7 as well.

I believe 75 might be 76, there was a special edition of the 911 model named Carrera that had the 3.0. The regular designators on the 911 were 911 and 911 S for 74-76.

1978 was the first year of the SC with the 3.0 and 915 tranny.
-the 3.0 is a tough engine and some say the best, but the fuel injection is CIS, which includes vaccum leaks and all the goodies
1983 was the last year of the SC

1984 was the first year of the 3.2 with the 915 tranny
-the 3.2 is a tough engine some say the best, but it has a DME brain which controls, fuel injection, timing, and everything else.
1987 was the same 3.2 but switched to a beefier tranny in the form of the G50

Most front ends look the same but as they progressed the rear flares got wider and wider. In 74-77 years the rears were really skinny, 6" wheels would fit and with mods 7" wheels can be made to fit. In 78 when the SC came out, the flares allowed for 7" wheels with no mods. In 84 you could fit 8" wheels with no mods in the rear. Then they also had widebody versions of the 3.2 that would allow 9" wheels.

Interiors stayed very much the same with small changes over the years. A/C was available but it never was really great. Early cars had dealer installed A/C, later it was factory. 3.2 has the "best" A/C. Not really a concern for many buyers.

The advice is always buy the newest Porsche you can afford and then set aside some extra money to fix the broken or little issues. It is also wise to have a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) done on any of these cars.

i wasnt shure on the year of the 3.0 change thats why i put the ? mark after the year. thanks for confirming correct info.

i have a factory 84 wide body that came with 16x8 fuchs in the back and 16x7 wheels in the front. i dont hink many people know but the wide body 16x8 has a different offset to make it stick out farther in the fender over the other 2 versions of the 16x8 they made (911 and 944)
i bought some 9 x 16 for my car (they came out in 86 or 87) and there is still plenty of room to put an even wider wheel on there if i wanted

Slot Mag King!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pookie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john7

I don't know alot about the widebodies, but I thought they came stock with 9"'s, but that 10" or 11"'s would fit. But I think once you get up to those sizes you either have to fork out the big bucks for some factory ones or get custom wheels made.
Porsche930dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pookie wrote:
john7

I don't know alot about the widebodies, but I thought they came stock with 9"'s, but that 10" or 11"'s would fit. But I think once you get up to those sizes you either have to fork out the big bucks for some factory ones or get custom wheels made.

9" wheels weren't available until 1986 and then only the turbos, they might also have been on the turbo look from 1986. The 1989 turbo look absolutely came with 9's. There never was a factory 10" or 11" Fuchs wheel.
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche930dude wrote:
pookie wrote:
john7

9" wheels weren't available until 1986 and then only the turbos, they might also have been on the turbo look from 1986. The 1989 turbo look absolutely came with 9's. There never was a factory 10" or 11" Fuchs wheel.

they made an 15x11" fuch for the rear of RSR cars and a 15x9 for the front
i actually just went to look at some the other day. i was thinking about getting them for my car. but wasnt sure they would clear 930 brakes on my car. i must say they are impressive!

i also looked at this pair of widened wheels the other day in person before this seller bought them for cheap along with the other replica he is selling. on fee bay #220323758760

they are nasty pos that dont match. one is a 1970 6" wheel the other is a 73 7" wheel. one takes the early clip cap and the other takes the ring type. Also there is a big gap between the spokes and the rim on one wheel and not the other. no mention in the auction that the chrome is bubbling and one tire is junk. buyer beware

Slot Mag King!
Porsche930dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about 16" wheels. They made wider ones but only as RSR 15" wheels as you said. I thought we were strictly talking production turbo look wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: