Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

camping shower
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: camping shower Reply with quote

I just bought this at Wally World : http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8571890
just wondering if anyone else has this (or similar) and what you use for the shower head and for heating the water,or do you use a "solar shower" bag to heat the water.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother to heat the water if what its spraying on is already hot!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dallenvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a shelter like that and for hot water I use the Zodi propane hot water heater.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilber!

I don't know Dog, shes kind of got that "Mr Ed overbite" there.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, in this image, you have to imagine if she/he or it has an overbite:

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Zodi hot shower and shelter
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
Here, in this image, you have to imagine if she/he or it has an overbite:

Oh Baby! I'm in love at MOPP level 4!
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those shower tents as, got mine from eBay. Use it with the solar bag and shower nozzle, it works fine.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dogpilot, are you a geo working in the env business? kind of funny that you have that pic around. I have one of me in Level A, sucks!!
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar shower, and when it is cloudy and cold, I heat up the water on the stove and pour it into the solar shower bag. My wife took a photo of me taking a solar shower, and I would post it here but all the females would be sending me emails Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone use the Coleman on demand system for showering? been reading some good reviews about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Water-Demand-Portable-Heater/dp/B0009PURE0
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have put the European faucet, it is on a hose so you can put it out the window to shower. For hot, I just use a cheapo solar shower on the roof.

I did Environmental Geo in Alaska with NOAA, not hazmat suits, but immersion suits.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
simd0ggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a pretty cool shower setup at a swap meet once. The owner took a 4" black PVC pipe, cut a little shorter than the length of the rain gutter on the van. He used some "rain gutter" clamps from an RV store, and mounted the pipe to the rain gutter on the passenger side of the van. Then he had a screw in fitting facing upward at back for a fill, and a downwards facing fitting at the front with the shower nipple pipe, shutoff valve, and shower head. He said the black pipe really heated up the water fast in the sun.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a solar shower, in the summer. I put it on the roof rack, and it lives up there until I need it. Only problem, is it grows algae after a few months..

Since it is never hot in the winter, I boil water and pour it into the bag.

Im interested in this version of a shower:
http://www.rei.com/product/758045

It looks much more compact, and might have a big mouth on top, easier to pour hot water into.

Im considering getting a pair of shower curtains and a rubbermaid tub, and rigging a way to shower inside the westy with the top up.. hanging the shower from the pop top crossbar..

I dont own a portable shower hut, instead I carry a bathing suit and hang the solar shower from the luggage rack, and drape it onto the windshield. I can then sit on the front bumper and wash my hair..

for just one person, a 5 gallon shower is overkill, and it weighs 40 pounds full, not that fun to carry around.. I usually only fill it half way.. water weighs 8 pounds per gallon..
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of the same thing. You could use one of those blow-up kiddy pools for the bottom to catch the water and a shower curtain on some sort of hoop, suspended from the crossbar. You could even get real fancy and rig up a 12v on-demand pump to a shower head. The source of hot water would be a large pot on the stove.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wilber!

I don't know Dog, shes kind of got that "Mr Ed overbite" there.

mighty art all you can talk about is her teeth! Very Happy
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered the Zodi today. Costco was the cheapest. $99.99 for the single burner one,includes shipping.
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the zodi shower. Just used it on Sunday. Works great! runs on those small propane bottles. I also have a shower enclosure that I use in campgrounds.
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
I was thinking of the same thing. You could use one of those blow-up kiddy pools for the bottom to catch the water and a shower curtain on some sort of hoop, suspended from the crossbar. You could even get real fancy and rig up a 12v on-demand pump to a shower head. The source of hot water would be a large pot on the stove.

I posted some info on this about a month ago. I built a PVC frame that rests on the upper bunk on one side and the metal roof in front of the pop top latch on the other.

A 6X10 blue plastic tarp serves as the shower curtain and attaches to the frame about 6 feet off of the ground and rests in the bottom of a plastic mortar tub from Lowe's.

For water I fill a 2 gallon pump sprayer half full with with water from the tank, and then boil a coffee pot full of water and pour that in there as well. The temperature is perfect and if you get a decent pump sprayer and pump it good you will get an entire shower in without re-pumping.

For the shower head I bought a replacement dishwashing spray nozzle which screwed directly into the wand of the sprayer with no leaks. The pump sprayer is placed on the stove sink counter on a piece of rubber.

Setup time for the shower enclosure is about 10 minutes - however, I get the water boiled before setting up so there is no chance of burning the camper down with the flame from the stove.

Also I have a bag from REI that holds my shampoo/soap etc that i hang from the cross member.

Would I use this setup if I were camping in the woods in solitude? Of course not. However, for the times I am in an organized campground I find it perfect as everything is contained inside the camper - no setting up a shower bag on the roof with tarps hanging down from the back and walking outside or climbing in thry the back hatch etc.. Just shower and get dressed - just like home.

Last edited by wolfej1 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought that enclosure, a porta-potty and a Zodi at WallyWorld for our inaugural trip with Esmerelda this summer... a pretty efficient set-up. The single burner unit works well, although for a decently toast shower from very cold water stick the shower nozzle back into your source water container on start-up and allow it to circulate till the water is luke warm. A single pass thorugh the Zodi with prewarmed water will then get you a more desirable temperature. Beware of crosswinds, as they do greatly affect the Zodi's efficiency.

I've still got ideas on a more "built in" shower system that takes less set-up time, but that's down the road. I'm too busy enjoying tbe warm fuzziness of antifreeze pooling in my armpit to worry about cleanliness.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: