Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bedliner Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's perfect bugzyla. Thanks!
Thanks for the compliment shawn813.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good.

i want to do at least my fenders and hood in bedliner, to make the fiberglass last longer... lol
corvette6698512
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome. If you want to get with some baja guys sometime, we have the occasional "offroad cruise" here in olympia. PM me if your interested and i'll get you hooked up.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered some 6100 shocks, distributor drive shims and spring, and some new window regulators. Hopefully I'll have an update soon. I'm an older guy that went back to school to be an engineer. I'm questioning my decision due to a lack of sleep (sarcasm). They said the junior year wouldn't be too bad, but they were wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any one noticed if bed liner is a noise dampener? I like my car to be quiet on the inside and i removed all the tar paper and what not because i want to put bed liner in it.

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more rubbery bed liner will be a better noise killer. I've used rubberized asphalt for deadening before. You can get it in the roofing section at your local hardware store. It's similar to Dynamat but cheaper. I used a hair dryer to put it on. Just don't put it where you might want to remove it later.
thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if i was planning on coating the interior with bed liner, should i put down this rubberized asphalt before i bed line the car, or will the asphalt adhere to the bed liner?

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure on that. I did it in a different rig. That had carpet covering the rubberized asphalt.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...so I'm working on my motor and I can't get my distributor drive to line up right. The fly wheel is marked for TDC, but when I drop the dist drive in it's cocked to the side. Not perpendicular to the crank case seam. If I index it one toothe the other way, it's cocked a little the other way. To top it off my serp kit alternator pulley is wobbly. Argh! What ever happened to getting decent parts? I don't cheap out on stuff and it's still a battle the whole way. Any ideas on the dist drive?
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corradolvr wrote:
Does anybody have a serp kit that they have already aligned? I think lotrat has the same serp kit I do.

Sorry for the late post...

My pulleys were out of alignment.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My shroud was bent. I still needed to pull my generator forward while I clamp it down, but it works fine.

The pulleys were tight. Call Ken at MST if you think it's bad. He'll help you out.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to align them. I got the CB Perf shim kit and it worked out. I'm just having trouble getting the distributor drive to be perpendicular to the case seam at TDC. I can get it all the way down and it's crooked. If I index it the other way one tooth, it's crooked the other way. My serp kit alternator pulley appears to have the center hole at an angle. I spin it and it wobbles even when tightened down all the way. Either that or the back face that rests on the shims is angled. I'm just worried about it chewing up belts. My alternator is a brand new Bosch and the shaft looks fine when I take the pulley off and spin it. Rolling Eyes
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta have them aligned perfectly or the belt won't track right and will ride up and over the pulley. Before you start the motor, turn the pulley by hand to make sure it's tracking right. If a stock pulley doesn't wobble on the alternator shaft, I would say the MST one is bad.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...did you guys ever use nylocks on your shock bolts? I'm thinking about putting some stainless ones on there with some washers. I dont like the funny lock nuts that are there already. I'm still having trouble with my distributor drive. Maybe I'm not at TDC. I saw a post on finding TDC but there seems to be some confusion. How the heck do I find that? The guy with the spark plug 3" bolt thinks the pencil in the spark plug hole is inaccurate, but how does he know all 3" bolts are threaded the same amount? Hm? I also just realized I forgot to put sealer like Permatex on my alternator stand seal. Should I go back and do it? I just got all my pulleys and crap lined up. It would be a crapper to have to do all that over and buy a new seal, but if it has to be done, it has to be done.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...I checked for TDC by pulling the spark plug and using a long 3/8 extension and it's there, but my dist drive is still not perpendicular to my case seam. It's more like 15-20 degrees off. Even with a re-index it's off the other way a bit. ?????? What the heck. Anyway I got my padded tranny strap kit on and I'm just a little curious on the amount I should tighten these down. Should I bottom them out or just snug them up until there good and tight? I also called MST about my alt pulley about two days ago, but they haven't called back. Well I guess I'll call them again tomorrow. I'm thinking about using the PIAA 525's for headlights. Anybody got these? The look pretty nice and they have hi/low.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my shocks on and realized that there is a joint at the top. The old shocks were butted up against the upper mounts on the rears. I would think that this would chowder up the mounts and the shocks. I have the spacers that came with my 6100's and I was thinking about putting one between the shock and mount. This would allow the joint in the shock to work properly. Has any body done anything like this. Any advice? I did get the stuff figured out in the upper two posts. Finally some progress. I'll try to get some more pics up soon.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid little parts! I got around to installing my wiper contraption and found I had a lot of little parts in two bags. All I need to do is mount the thing and put the arms on. Does it go.....washer, install, then seal, washer, nut, cone, arm?
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lotrat! That's exactly what I needed. I got about five various books but they mysteriously lack pictures. Hm? Guess I should invest in a Bentley. I figured out that my shaft on my alt is a little off not my serp kit. Is your idler pulley really close to your crank pulley? Mine seems close to me. Well looks like I'll have to do a little swaparoo on that alt. Just got some PIAA 525 smr's yesterday and am trying to figure out how to make some brackets to mount them. I cut out my fender headlight holes and am going to mount them in that location but not attached to the fenders. I can smell victory! I think this thing may hit the road this summer after a 9........well I guess 10 year hiatus. I pretty much have just some loose ends here and there and a bit of wiring. I'll try to get out there with my camera soon. I got it on stands right now to do some brake tweaking. Soon as I get an extra hand to help out with that, I'll get the wheels back on and take some pics.
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corradolvr wrote:
Thanks lotrat! That's exactly what I needed. I got about five various books but they mysteriously lack pictures. Hm? Guess I should invest in a Bentley. I figured out that my shaft on my alt is a little off not my serp kit. Is your idler pulley really close to your crank pulley? Mine seems close to me...

I don't have a Bentley either... shhh, don't tell anyone. All the Bentley share holders post here. The idler pulley is close. I first installed it with it pushed up against the belt. It tracks better pushed down on it.

VW had a serpentine for a while south of the border. Theirs rode pretty close too.

corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I went and got a shorter belt that was supposedly 7/8" shorter but it was to short to get on. I guess I'm stuck with the one I got. It seems that if the pulley was up a little further you would have less stress concentration around that idler. I'll rock it and see what happens. I'm off to do some wiring and head light bracket fabrication. Thanks for the info lotrat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: