Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 vw convert gas tank size?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66Rredvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: 66 vw convert gas tank size? Reply with quote

Ok I am new to VW's. I bought 66 convert to use as a daily driver. Since I have had it have taken it to local Shop to get it looked over and have any needed repairs taken care off (Luckily none where needed). It just hit me that I don’t know how large the gas tank is, and I would like to know if there are any hints or trick when filling the tank. Oh is it just as straight forward as opening hood taking gas cap off and filling. Any info will be appreciated.
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put cap back on when full,, close hood,,
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 11.5 gallons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's 10.6 if the car's never been hit in the front. I've filled up completely empty tanks a couple of times and gotten 10.62 gallons to completely fill it - that is right up to just below the breather on the side of the filler neck, and bouncing the car a little to "burp" any air trapped around the gauge sending unit once it's close to full.

Now, if the car has ever been in a front end collision and the spare tire has dented the tank in, you'll have less than that 10.6. I ran out of gas once after that happened to my baja. I replaced that tank as soon as I could after that.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 vw convert gas tank size? Reply with quote

Hi!

If this thread is about convertibles, can anyone tell me if the folks at the Karmann factory painted the fuel tank on convertibles in the body color or did they paint them black (and when did that begin?) on 1958 thru 1967 convertibles. Oval Beetle Convertibles had their tanks painted the outer body color. Thanks!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 vw convert gas tank size? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi!

If this thread is about convertibles, can anyone tell me if the folks at the Karmann factory painted the fuel tank on convertibles in the body color or did they paint them black (and when did that begin?) on 1958 thru 1967 convertibles. Oval Beetle Convertibles had their tanks painted the outer body color. Thanks!

Bill

Bill, the only thing I know for sure is the 1967 tank was painted black from the factory. I have had three originals and they were ALL black.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 66 vw convert gas tank size? Reply with quote

The change to a flatter fuel tank design, painted black, came in 1961. For "improved" trunk space. The Karmann-built type1 convertibles used the same black painted fuel tanks as the Beetle sedans, 1961-1967.

Not sure about the 1958-1960 color for convertible fuel tanks. Did Karmann spray the 58-60 tanks body color, or use gray, or ..? Anyone know?

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: