Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Beetle Sedan stats
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Salser Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

Here is a comprehensive paper on changes for year 1967 Beetle Sedan as imported into the Continental USA.
WHAT’S DIFFERENT ABOUT THE 1967 MODEL OF THE BEETLE?

(Different from Previous Years)

This information applies only to Beetles destined for import into the Continental USA

The 1967 model of the Beetle Sedan (the Convertible is not here-in treated) heralded several changes. Most of these changes are subtle and go unnoticed. I will attempt to point out those of which I am aware. A lot of the changes continued to be incorporated into later years as well.

First and foremost was the change from 6 volts to 12 volts. This is the most talked-about change and resulted in a significant, new direction for the Beetle both in physical capability (of the car) and in popularity. Note: silver 12 volt sticker on driver’s door hinge pillar

Front fenders--change from covered headlights to open sealed beam headlamps with no parking light inside the headlight housing. The front parking light was incorporated into the top-of-the-fender-mounted turn signal housing. This particular fender was used only for the ‘67 year cars. A new type of headlamp ring began to be used.

Reverse or back-up lamps--a switch was installed on the transmission so that when the car was placed into reverse, rear bumper-mounted lamps lighted. This was a one-year-only lamp since in ‘68 and later years the reverse lamps were incorporated into the taillight housing.

Front seat knob--about mid-year, ‘67 models were fitted with a knob on the side of the seatback rather than the previously used handle at the seat base.

Radio knobs--during the manufacturing year, rubber knobs began to be used. This was a new trend to accede to US “soft dash” standards. All ‘67 Beetles came equipped with rubber knobs for the emergency signal and headlight and wiper switches but the rubber radio knobs appeared during the production year.

A one-year-only Sapphire V radio, AM only, with the antenna now mounted at the driver’s side just shy of the windshield.

12 volt two-speed wiper motor and switch

One-year-only seatbelts--these belts mounted on the B pillar and could be latched into place when not in use. The belt was housed in a sheath that pivoted downward beside the driver or front passenger so that the belt could be pulled from its sheath, over the person’s lap and the snap end clamped to a tunnel-mounted, chromed bracket. I am told that the belts were dealer-installed since USA requirements for mandatory seatbelts did not occur until 1968.

A “black box” under the hood now housed major electrical components. Sometimes the box was other colors--I have seen blue and aluminum as well as black. This box, I am told, persisted for years ’67 and ’68.

Window cranks--the knobs were a one-year-only black plastic and highly unreliable. The plastic backs consistantly split at the weak point and became useless.

Decklid and rear apron--the apron was changed. This one-year-only apron now featured a latch hole that had a rubber seal to prevent road dust and moisture from entering the engine compartment. The new latch was a low-profile bar secured by two bolts used only in that application. The decklid was changed to conform to the new apron. On the decklid was the new script which read “VOLKSWAGEN”.

Rear bumper over-riders--a one-year-only design that shortened the middle legs to give added clearance to the newly designed decklid

Body, running board trim and hood trim--was a new slimmed design that set the trend for all succeeding Beetles. This necessitated smaller holes in the body and hood with redesigned plastic trim clips and new trim clips for the running boards.

Exterior rearview mirror--a one-year-only redesigned ovoid (pear-shaped) style

Engine--1500cc displacement of about 53 Hp. That began the “H” series engine case to run for 3 years

Aircleaner--greatly enlarged with dual air-intake. The size increase mirrored the larger engine displacement. The size and weight of this one-year-only air cleaner/breather necessitated a one-year-only stabilizing bracket that mounted on the front manifold bolt and held the airbreather firmly in position. The dual intakes also necessitated a small diameter paper hose on either side that dropped through small holes in the one-year-only breastplate. Beneath the breastplate were right and left deflector plates, each with a hole. Behind each of these plates was mounted a tube--mounted to the exhaust stud on either side of the engine. The breather hoses dropped through the breastplate, passed through the holes in the deflector plates and mounted over the metal stabilizing tubes.

Pilot jet valve--an “anti-dieseling” device was added to the generator side of the carburetor. This was an electro-magnetic valve that closed the gas supply as soon as the ignition switch was shut off.

12 volt generator/coil/carburetor choke heater, of course for the new 12 volt system

The regulator was placed beneath the rear seat.

A lengthened one-year-only axle and axle tube was used on the ‘67 models. The axle tube continued through the 1968 production year (however, axles for ‘68 models had longer splines).

A one-year-only transmission with a 4.125 gear ratio. This transmission remained the Beetle tranny through ‘72 ½ when the ratio was changed to 3.88 with the advent of the “single-side-plate” transmission.

Dual master brake cylinder with two brake-light switches and a one-year-only brake fluid reservoir. There were two metal tubes between the master cylinder and the brake fluid reservoir for this year only.

One-year-only exterior door handles, doorlock pulls (buttons), mounted on the door frame, and new, recessed interior door pulls as opposed to the former interior door handle locking capability (formerly up to open and down to lock)

Expanded fuse panel from 8 to 10 fuses

Ash tray--redesigned without a knob but with a “dimple” at the bottom edge for pulling the tray with the fingers

TECHNICAL CHANGES continued: (additions were provided by Adam Troeger, taken from “Volkswagen Beetle--Car of the Century” see www.vwcarofthecentury.com )

180 mm to 200 mm wide clutch
New oil breather/filler unit with water condensation tube
New cooling fan inner and outer cover plates to hold the new 105mm diameter
generator
New crank pulley and shroud plate
Mid-year change from smooth type to Type III annular groove oil pressure
relief piston
Mid-year change to pinch-type hose clamps on the fuel pump and carburetor
inlet
Mid-year strengthening of crankcase near oil pump mounting
Mid-year introduction of 8mm oil pump mounting studs/holes replacing 6mm
Mid-year change to crankshaft adding oil pockets and "X" drillings
New rubber seals added to the front and rear portion of each rear seat
kick-panel
Revised left and right quarter panels introduced; quickly replaced with
revised types.
Revised left and right rear cross members introduced
New left and right roof support members introduced
Re-designed firewall compartment panel in front of engine introduced to make
room for 1500cc engine
Revised lower firewall plate and front engine cover plate weatherstrip
New sedan and sunroof deluxe model roof stampings
Elongated hole now cut in left side cowl at corner of windshield for
optional retractable antenna, sealed with aluminum cap and black packing
New double-sided "K" profile lock cylinders and ignition locks
New cloud white vinyl headliner section with black dots surrounding back
window
Rear luggage compartment carpet replaced with pvc lining along with left and
right wheel house linings
New door and rear quarter panels introduced
Driver's door armrest now standard
New passenger door armrest
Door and quarter panel interior moldings removed
New leatherette seat upholstery with smooth backs and sides; faces received
perforated basket-weave covering the entire area, instead of center portions
only; now seven heat pleats
Mid-year new cloud-white rear seat grab handle straps
Mid-year new cloud-white visors
Mid-year slightly larger rear view mirror introduced
Mid-year new left and right door hinges installed
Mid-year new center defroster vent under dashboard
Mid-year new front passenger grab handle with different mounting angle
Mid-year new rear seats installed

Headlamp switch and wiper switch swapped locations
New main wire harness, left and right front section wire harness
New starter/battery positive cable
Two Bosch distributors available; condensers were not shared
One VW distributor available; it had unique points, rotor, cap, condenser,
vacuum advance
Mid-year new clutch pedal with 25mm offset to left of brake pedal (short
lived)
Mid-year new brake pedal/master cylinder clevis rod introduced
Mid-year old style clutch pedal returned, but with new stop bracket to limit
pedal travel
Mid-year right tie rod inner clamp nut and bolt deleted
Mid-year changes to brake line diameters and routing up front
New transaxle casing and differential unit; rear axle, ring and pinion
Gear-set, and 3rd gear ratio changes; new gearshift fork housing nose cone;
new reverse gear shaft
Mid-year changes to first/second gear shift mechanism, increasing shift
travel; new reverse gear
New rear axle shafts, wheel bearing housings and covers
New rear axle shaft nuts; torqued to 217 ft/lbs
Side rear torsion bars narrowed from 22mm to 21 mm
New equalizer spring mounted on inner and outer supports with rubber
bushing between each
New side levers and hardware introduced to work with narrowed torsion bars
Side radius arm/spring plate support inclination angle change to 20 deg/30
min from 17 deg/30 min
New rear shock absorbers
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

"Rear luggage compartment carpet replaced with pvc lining along with left and
right wheel house linings"

I saw this similarly in my Garwood - however I am confused as to what this means, as it suggests "carpet" should be replaced with "pvc lining" - which doesn't make sense to me.

Does this mean my rear luggage compartment should not have carpet? Or that the existing carpet should be lined with a pvc like material? And how does this impact the left and right wheel house? Should my carpet be different than 1966?

- Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

Originally, it was a rubberized type of matting, a medium grayish salt / pepper color in 'faux' German square weave design with the same type of cloth binding around the perimeters as the footwell and doorsill carpet had. It also extended up and covered the back side of rear seat in sedans. Convertibles had plain hardboard rear seat backs without the material. Yes, 1966 the same also. I believe it was used from 1965 - 1969 production, but definitely not a 1967 only item. To my knowledge, this matting is not available in any form as new or replacement stock, nor as a reproduction item, and most all original pieces have been deteriorated by decades of temperature extremes and sun, and tossed away long ago. Closest thing to the original looking item would be German square weave wool carpet with the German type cloth binding.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

That is fascinating, as I have only seen carpet in the back matching the luggage shelf (black, for example). So much so that I thought my rear luggage shelf had replacement carpet. Is the fabric in the picture below possibly original (ignore the hooks for a moment)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd am surprised that VW would do non-matching carpets - perhaps it's German fashion? Wink

-Harry
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

Harry, yes!! Absolutely! That's the original thing, in convertible 'form'. Is it your car? Congratulations if it is, as it looks to be in superb condition! Looks like you also have the ultra rare original corner fasteners and larger plastic lug screws in place as well. Sweet!

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

Forgot to mention in previous post...That's an original rear seat back there in that photo as well. Notice where the heat seams stop well below the top of the seat. The are absolutely NO aftermarket manufacturers of seat covers that do it correctly. They all put the heat seams over the top. Some manufacturers now do the fronts correctly..but to my knowledge, nobody goes the extra bit for the rear seat backs.

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

Neat - Thanks for all of the great information! I'll keep that in mind as part of my restoration. Hey - do you know of any other pictures of back luggage shelves with original carpet I can see? I haven't seen any in the gallery.

Thanks!
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

Here are a few of some random original 1966-67 convertibles...

And, here's a couple of 'regular' Beetle sedan. Note the rear seat back difference between sedan and convertible, and firewall

Hope these might help answer your question.

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

Great pictures! Do you happen to know of anyone who makes such a material?

- Harry
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

This is wonderful stuff and just what we are in Samba for. Many thanks Jay.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

67conv wrote:

As a follow-up, I finally got around to checking my Garwood copy, and I see he mentioned PVC material in the back of many of the type-1s from 1967 - 1971, so it sounds like this wasn't a 1 year only item, like I thought. It does make me think it *should* be easier to find this material, as it was around for, like 5 million cars...
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

Harry, that material was definitely not a '1967 only' item. I am not 100% certain but I believe it was used from circa '64 - '69. Used in both sedans and convertibles. However, it was not the same sizing nor interchangeable between sedans and convertibles. Most VW's that have survived to 2019 have long since had this material ripped out and thrown away decades ago. You'd think there might be some of it out there somewhere, but after 30 years of searching for it myself, not much has turned up but rotted fragments. Fortunately, my original is 90% intact in my 67.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Sedan stats Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Harry, that material was definitely not a '1967 only' item. I am not 100% certain but I believe it was used from circa '64 - '69.

My '65 has carpet not the rubber stuff my '67 has.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: