Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will Eurovan tranny work in my Vanagon converted to a VR6?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VR6 vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Will Eurovan tranny work in my Vanagon converted to a VR6? Reply with quote

I have a 1982 Vanagon that I converted to use the motor from my 2000 Jetta that was demolished from the rear. It runs great, I really love it, but am not happy with the RPM's @ 60 or 70 miles an hour.
The shop that did the conversion says they changed third and fourth gear, but it sure doesn't seem like it.
I was wondering if the tranny from a 99 or newer Eurovan would work in my vanagon?
Also, is there any way I can tell if the shop actually changed my tranny gears or not without actually removing the tranny?
Thank you and have a great day!
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, no. A eurovan is front wheel drive
suebicum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning

Well, a Eurovan trany can’t fit, you could have seen that by looking at it.
But, you can figure out your gearing. If, you have a tach, you can go from speed and RPM to the gearing. Little math, but a gearing chart/calculator will make that pretty easy.
Don’t forget your tire size and look up the # of your gearbox.

If you got the data, we can help you, figure out the gearing.

Michael
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Increase of your tire size will do wonders. In my vr6 automatic conversion it made all the difference and the vr had no trouble turning over the tires.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VR6 vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: tranny gearing Reply with quote

My mechanic was supposed to have changed third and fourth gear, but it sure isn't seeming like he did. At this time I don't have a tachometer, but I will be installing one soon. But in fourth gear, doing about 55 mph. it sounds like it is turning at least 4 thousand rpm's. Seems to me that if he did in fact change third and fourth gear, that it would be turning less rpm's than that. Am I wrong in thinking that?
To install a tach, I am under the impression that I need a universal one for a 6 cylinder, does it hook into the computer? Does anyone know where?
Thank you in advance, any and all input is appreciated. Very Happy
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a VR6 be ODBII compliant? If so, you can plug a scan gauge into the ODBII two connector to read rpm clear codes etc. I have my connector mounted in the front ashtray for easy access with the Scan Gauge or my VAG-COM. 4000 rpm sounds about right for stock gearing. With my conversion using stock gear box from an 80 aircooled, I was seeing 3500 at 70mph. The taller tires knocked off about 300 rpm at 70. Without a tach you will just be guessing your rpm. My tach is connected to the ECU directly. I have a TDI not a VR6.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the caveman wrote:
Uh, no. A eurovan is front wheel drive
the audi 100/200 works with the the proper mod's Smile
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebicum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the audi 100/200 works with the the proper mod's

Well that would be a in line Gearbox.
And if you don’t do a hole lot of work you got 1 forward and 5 reverse
And as far as I remember the Audi Gearbox has the bell/diff housing in one so you have to go with the engine angle the gearbox has or use adaptors ….
Looked into it with my Syncro, it’s a lot of work/money to get it functional.
Ok the Automatic fits, if you couple it with the Vanagon auto differential.

Michael
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Eurovan tranny work in my Vanagon converted to a VR Reply with quote

VR6 vanagon wrote:
I have a 1982 Vanagon that I converted to use the motor from my 2000 Jetta that was demolished from the rear. It runs great, I really love it, but am not happy with the RPM's @ 60 or 70 miles an hour.
The shop that did the conversion says they changed third and fourth gear, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Going after the wrong fox.

I just do not comprehend how changing gear ratios on third and fourth, or why not on first and second or even reverse (lol) will/would affect the speed vs rpms in top gear. Having 1, or 10 gears would not change a iota to said ratio.

How about talking of the differential/rear end/final drive ratio ?

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Will Eurovan tranny work in my Vanagon converted to a VR Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
VR6 vanagon wrote:

Going after the wrong fox.

I just do not comprehend how changing gear ratios on third and fourth, or why not on first and second or even reverse (lol) will/would affect the speed vs rpms in top gear. Having 1, or 10 gears would not change a iota to said ratio.

How about talking of the differential/rear end/final drive ratio ?

The calculated final drive ratio for highway speeds would include the 4th gear and tire diameter. The only way 4th gear would be removed from the calculation would be if 4th gear ratio is one to one. At this time, there are not many tall ring and pininions available for conversion vanagons. There are taller tire and wheel combinations and some taller 3rd and 4th gears available. With a conversion you need to work with what is readily available in most cases. If you replace only 4th gear with a taller ratio, you could end up with a huge rpm drop on the 3rd 4th shift. The TDI could probably live with it.

From memory, the ring and pinion in an Audi automatic differential can be flipped without modification. You need to pay attention when you rebuild one not to accidentally flip it. Regards
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: