Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay tow bars
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Bay tow bars Reply with quote

Hey,

Just wondering. I want to pick up a bay bus, but would like to drive down with a tow bar and tow my new ride home. Is there a special tow bar needed to haul a bay bus compared to a standard beetle tow bar?

Thanks,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=280516
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i saw these. Now, what is the difference between these and a standard bug bar? Length? or does it hook up totally different.

I.E, when i have gotten my bus back home, can i use this bar to tow a standard beetle aswell?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well length for one, you need a longer bar to reach the beam under the bus. The second factor is the tubing size of the beam (where it attaches). I don't remember what the size difference is between the beetle and bus beams are, but if I remember correctly the bus beams are a larger diameter. This makes the bug bar out of the question, but the bus bar might be useable on the bug. Really, if you already have a bug bar, just save it for bugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far is too far to tow a VW? Does it matter or should they be trailered for long distances?

What has been done?

Mike
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have flat towed a bus from cleveland to toronto.
asbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is an automatic trannie, you have to remove the axels or flat tow. I had a VW mechanic (1964-1997) tell me this. Even though the owner's manual states that you may tow in neutral for UP TO 30 miles at 30MPH.... so like an hour at 30 mph.
Just my $0.02,
KC Very Happy
Vintageyacht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are getting soft, there are a bunch of threads on this already. FWIW, if you will tow more than a couple of times, you want one of those towbars. I own a Jeremy Towbar and it is super smooth. Much easier than a dolly or a flatbed, as long as the bus has all its running gear in order. You may want to put a "kit" together to take with you when you go out and collect busted busses. Mine has:

1. (2) spare wheels with good tires.
2. 12V inflation device
3. Lug wrench
4. Bilstein jack and small floor jack.
4. The ignition key for the bus you will tow so you can keep the wheel unlocked
5. (2) 6x6 blue tarps for the mud you will be laying in to work on the things that will need your attention under there.
6. Tools, socket set, a big hammer, channel locks, a big and small vice grips, several screwdrivers.
7. A flashlight, I use my Petzl Headlamp and a handheld from my Bosch 18V carpenters kit.
8. Work gloves
9. Magnetic trailer indicator lighting kit to stick on the roof of the Bus In Tow.

Maybe a couple of other things I forgot.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintageyacht wrote:

Maybe a couple of other things I forgot.

good points, yes.

in ontario you need a sign on the back of the towed vehicle "IN TOW". i have some reflective magnetic signs that i had made up for this.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... the real question is how are the wheel bearings, brake and steering components etc.? How lucky do you feel? Are you prepared for the bus to loose a tire or worse a wheel or wheel bearing? A petrified brake lining to come loose and stop a wheel turning? A towbar of questinable quality to fail and perhaps damage both bus and tow vehicle? Consider liability, delays and unforseen circumstances.

If the condition of the bus purchased is questionable, I would suggest a trailer rental and tow it ALL the way home the first time. At the very least, consider a tow dolly.

Don't know if you have a spouse, parents or significant other, but expenses and problems encountered during such a simple seeming operation as dragging an old bus home can and will be used against you for what may seem like an eternity. Trust me, I know this.

Peace.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
... the real question is how are the wheel bearings, brake and steering components etc.? How lucky do you feel? Are you prepared for the bus to loose a tire or worse a wheel or wheel bearing? A petrified brake lining to come loose and stop a wheel turning? A towbar of questinable quality to fail and perhaps damage both bus and tow vehicle? Consider liability, delays and unforseen circumstances.

If the condition of the bus purchased is questionable, I would suggest a trailer rental and tow it ALL the way home the first time. At the very least, consider a tow dolly.

Don't know if you have a spouse, parents or significant other, but expenses and problems encountered during such a simple seeming operation as dragging an old bus home can and will be used against you for what may seem like an eternity. Trust me, I know this.

Peace.

Ditto to all of these comments. One additional... I like to have my homeward route encompass a trip, albeit towed, through a coin-operated car wash, to get off as much external crud, webs, mold, mud, etc. as possible. If the bus is an empty shell... go ahead & clean out the interior at the same time. That simple step can 'kick-start' a restoration project, or simplify a 'part-out' operation, depending on the reason for your purchase of the vehicle.

That 'pre-cleaning' may also ease up on potential backlashes from the co-habitants of your household, upon your arrival with the 'new' bus! Worth its weight in quarters!
68 Westy
(+ others)
Vintageyacht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points guys. The trailer is the most forgiving for the initial pick up on a bus you dont know. Also consider that the flatbed trailer is nice for manueverability. You wont be able to back up a bus on a towbar. Its unhook, push, rehook, go. With the flatbed, you can get out of some places you might get yourself into without damaging the bus in tow. I rented the tow trailer from uHaul before I had my towbar fabricated, and it was nice for the towing, I think it was $59 for the day. Its important to keep in mind that you will need a come-along and a buddy as well to get the bus up the ramps, and those ramps are just about as wide as the inside of the tires on a bus, so it requires some focus to steer it onto the rails. I dont like the tow dollies, just as much work to lump the bus onto it as a trailer and only $20 cheaper, and the 2 wheels on the ground could cause problems if there are any of the issues talked about in the last couple of posts. Let us know which way you go, it can be a fun little adventure with good planning.
55veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, those are things i never thought about before.

I want to locate a Bay tin top, hopefully a cali or other dry bus in running order that has little to no rust.

I live in ontario canada so the drive is a bit far but if i want a rust free bus, i have to go to the dry busses. I have a trailer i can load it on but its just the matter of hauling an empty trailer across the US one way. wasnt sure if itd be easier with the tow bar or the trailer.

...ps...if anyone knows of any Tin tops for sale PM me Please!

Thanks,
Mike
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the U Haul dollys are great if you got the dime. I towed a bus from Gianesville down to Boca, 6 hours +-.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great thread here on Samba about what happens when the bus is left in a low gear accidently when towing. (Scatters parts across three counties when it comes apart)
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooops! U Haul requests that you unbolt the axles.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not. trip was uneventful.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55veedub wrote:

...ps...if anyone knows of any Tin tops for sale PM me Please!

I know of a couple:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=7
fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This towbar available here on the Samba works great......... we've logged many miles cross country pulling Westy campers, my lowered 2" narrow beam bug ( with some adapters i made) and any Bay window bus............. I like it.....
Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paul

1973 Type181 Kubelwagen (Thing 2 ) 2110cc
1971 Transporter (Pickle) 1914cc
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine) 1776cc
1973 Adventurewagen Baja Bus (Clyde) 3.4L
1970 Formula Vee Beetle 2276cc

I identify as: “A Pissed Old GI ”
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto above. I have towed nearly a dozen busses for my buddy Bay Window Steve, all in different degrees of disaster, all with wheels on the ground. That tow bar pictured from Jeremy is the best unit I have ever used. I have a standard beetle bar, a super beetle bar, and that. Its made better than both.

Don't be a pussy. Do it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: