Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making The Special Screw For Late Bumper Rubber Trim
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Making The Special Screw For Late Bumper Rubber Trim Reply with quote

I was working on my bumpers and needed to cut off a screw in order to remove the rubber trim. The nut had seized and the entire screw would rotate when trying to remove it.
I discovered that the screw is a very odd creature. These appear to be no longer available and I could not find a used one, so I went with making my own. Perhaps they have a name and can be found for .10 cents a hardware store, but I didn't know the industry name for them.

I am hoping this will help someone who may be facing the same problem...

Good original screw is on the left, notice the strange head? I purchased a metric replacement with a normal flat philips head with matching countersink angle:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Grind down the edges with a file or bench grinder. Apply some filler if you want to go the extra step:

Voila!

AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Making The Special Screw For Late Bumper Rubber Trim Reply with quote

Great. Looks helpful. If it was seized then maybe a good idea to use some anti seize on it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Making The Special Screw For Late Bumper Rubber Trim Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Great. Looks helpful. If it was seized then maybe a good idea to use some anti seize on it. Smile

true! I ended up using a stainless nut, perhaps that can help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: