Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty swing away system on Twin Peaks bumper?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: GoWesty swing away system on Twin Peaks bumper? Reply with quote

With the impending sales, I'm considering pulling the trigger on bumper/ hitch/ swing away combo. I don't want to drill holes in my van so I'm leaning towards the GoWesty set up. Problem is I like the Rocky Mountain Westy Twin Peaks bumpers a lot more. I'm thinking I could make the GW swing away work but I wanted to see if anyone else had tried.
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the license plate openingit looks a little to wide, not leaving enough material to clamp the swingout to.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my main point of concern. It looks close. The end cap on the RMW bumper pushes the mounting point in too. I'm tracking down dimensions now.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no comparison. RMW all the way for the lot, best quality IMO.
www.westyventures.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ehoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the RMW sectional bumpers and the RMW tire swing. I would recommend them to anyone. The tire swing mounting is secure, and ultimately, drilling into your van is inevitable. SO many of the nicest mods require some body drilling. It seems to get easier...That being said, I dont think the bumper mounted option will work with the twin peaks. The bumper is sectional, and the sections are hollow.
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the question was never answered. I am also looking at the RMW Twin Peaks and want to add the GoWesty swing arms and I do not like drilling into the body if I do not have to. Anybody have this setup?
1974 Thing
1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596
1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smurfpike wrote:
Seems like the question was never answered. I am also looking at the RMW Twin Peaks and want to add the GoWesty swing arms and I do not like drilling into the body if I do not have to. Anybody have this setup?
'

Bump---

Anyone end up trying this (mounting the gowesty swingaway to the Twin Peaks bumper)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Beard-
I dont have the answer but I saw that Jimf909 (seattle) asked the same question in April 2016 on a different thread (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...;start=200). Maybe reach out to Jim via PM to see if he got an answer or attempted it?

if you get an answer please add it to this thread =)

-dsd

Red Beard wrote:
smurfpike wrote:
'

Bump---

Anyone end up trying this (mounting the gowesty swing away to the Twin Peaks bumper)?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: