Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What CA city is your car from? DMV letter prefix 1963-69
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ChiZ_65"]How about HUB ?

Thanks again, this is neat![/quote]

HUB........Redlands Dmv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hkoch wrote:
hkoch wrote:
How about YOR. Thanks.
Just reread you first post (RDA) guess im SOL.

Yep, sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveOBrien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Staleair,

Can you tell me where HHW plates came from?

Thanks,
Dave
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveOBrien wrote:
Hi Staleair,

Can you tell me where HHW plates came from?

Thanks,
Dave

HHW.......North Hollywood DMV
jhvw1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 76 came from a dealership in LA. I still have the window sticker that came with the car. I'd love to know the entire story about how it made it's way to the midwest.
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AXY 399? I'm gonna take a guess and say Oakland, based off the fact that my AXG 016 plates are from Oakland.

Is there any way you can scan/post the paperwork you have? It would be cool to have it available as a resource. Thanks.
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VolksFire wrote:
AXY 399? I'm gonna take a guess and say Oakland, based off the fact that my AXG 016 plates are from Oakland.

You are correct......AXY.....Oakland DMV. Very Happy

VolksFire wrote:

Is there any way you can scan/post the paperwork you have? It would be cool to have it available as a resource. Thanks.

Would, but my scanner is f-ed up, and I tried to take a pic of it, but the print is so small that it doesnt show up. Crying or Very sad
woodslat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stale Air...

I just found this post and read through all pages. I used to work for the DMV and hoped that one of these master lists would surface someday, and I'm floored at how unbelievably cool it is to see it as a historical function.

To keep you from having to answer every post, I say we set up a donation fund to send you to Kinkos and get it scanned and digitized. If 30 people donate $1.00 apiece to you by Paypal, you can grab a nice cup of coffee on the way over and still have some change left for your time. I'll put my buck in!

Thanks again for sharing this great information!
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodslat wrote:
Stale Air...

I just found this post and read through all pages. I used to work for the DMV and hoped that one of these master lists would surface someday, and I'm floored at how unbelievably cool it is to see it as a historical function.

To keep you from having to answer every post, I say we set up a donation fund to send you to Kinkos and get it scanned and digitized. If 30 people donate $1.00 apiece to you by Paypal, you can grab a nice cup of coffee on the way over and still have some change left for your time. I'll put my buck in!

I dont think I would hold my breath waiting for that to happen. While I would also like to thank Stale Air for answering individual questions, it is sadly & painfully clear that he has absolutely no intentions of releasing the information in its entirety to the classic car community.

Perhaps he feels as if the information in its entirety has monetary value.....

Perhaps he feels like a bigger person when he knows he has something that other people want & he likes it when people ask him "pretty please" for things.......

Only Stale Air knows the truth.

One only has to read a few of his posts to understand he is an articulate, intelligent guy who has his head on straight. If he wanted to share the information in its entirety....he would have obviously found a way to make it happen by now.

I guess we will have to compile our own list....so I guess I will begin:

Mr. Stale Air,

Could you please tell me where "AAA" was issued?

(next guy please chime in and ask for "AAB" etc...etc...etc..)

I am positive we can compile the list sometime within the next 150 years (with the much-appreciated assistance of Stale Air of course!!)
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidvintage wrote:
woodslat wrote:
Stale Air...

I dont think I would hold my breath waiting for that to happen. While I would also like to thank Stale Air for answering individual questions, it is sadly & painfully clear that he has absolutely no intentions of releasing the information in its entirety to the classic car community.

Perhaps he feels as if the information in its entirety has monetary value.....

Perhaps he feels like a bigger person when he knows he has something that other people want & he likes it when people ask him "pretty please" for things.......

Only Stale Air knows the truth.

One only has to read a few of his posts to understand he is an articulate, intelligent guy who has his head on straight. If he wanted to share the information in its entirety....he would have obviously found a way to make it happen by now.

I guess we will have to compile our own list....so I guess I will begin:

Mr. Stale Air,

Could you please tell me where "AAA" was issued?

(next guy please chime in and ask for "AAB" etc...etc...etc..)

I am positive we can compile the list sometime within the next 150 years (with the much-appreciated assistance of Stale Air of course!!)

Kidvintage, wow, im sorry if you feel you have been slighted in any way due to the fact that I have not posted up the list, but by the tone of your post it feels like for some reason you have taken this personally.

Since you have me all figured out, I really dont feel the need to explain to you as to why in your words "he would have obviously found a way to make it happen by now", but I can assure you that there is no big conspiracy on my part to keep this info from you or anyone else for the matter. Nor do I feel there is a monatary value on this info. If that was the case I would not have started this thread at all. I started this thread to better help the Vw community with the history of their Vw, and even though I have yet to post the whole list I did make sure to reply to everyones posts asking me as to what city their car(s) where from.

But, here is the deal anyway. Like I stated before, my scanner is F'd up, yes, still, Embarassed and does not work. I also work in a town where there is no Kinkos, so its not like I can run down on my lunch hour and get this done. Now, there is one in the city where I live. Have I gone out of my way and take the time on a saturday to go and have it done? No, not really. Should I have? Maybe, but I can tell you that its not because as you put it, " he feels like a bigger person when he knows he has something that other people want & he likes it when people ask him "pretty please" for things" But I do appreciate your vote of confindence. Rolling Eyes
Basicly, I have other prioritys that take place on my saturday, and this is not at the top of my list. Wink

Honestly, your post does not make me want to run right out and get this done any quicker. I would rather just tell you go F'off and leave it at that. Since I am a bigger person than that, and I did promise the others here that I would at some point have it copied and posted on here, that is what I still intend to do.

Aaron

Last edited by stale air on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidvintage, if you knew how long stale air has been in this hobby, you might retract your asshole statement, or delete it entirely.
Ooops, too late, somebody has quoted it, so now it's there for everyone to see what a jerk you are.
Do the VW world a favor.... go buy a Ford or Chevy.
Now, I wouldn't blame stale air if he were to just stop helping people in this hobby, if his work and time and effort is going to be attacked by ignorant people, who don't know him, or what he is about.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Ea$y Money
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about BRB?
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
kidvintage, if you knew how long stale air has been in this hobby, you might retract your asshole statement, or delete it entirely.
Ooops, too late, somebody has quoted it, so now it's there for everyone to see what a jerk you are.
Do the VW world a favor.... go buy a Ford or Chevy.
Now, I wouldn't blame stale air if he were to just stop helping people in this hobby, if his work and time and effort is going to be attacked by ignorant people, who don't know him, or what he is about.

Dave -

Obviously you are a great writer (you wrote for major VW magazines, right?). But you need to hone your READING skills!! I actually SINCERELY THANKED Stale Air for the information he is trickling out to the classic car community. I also commented that his posts are articulate and intelligent.

The rest of my post is obviously filled with speculation & a hint of sarcasm at the end (150 years).

If Stale Air lived in a trailer out in the 909 with half his teeth missing talking about his 1973 Super Beetle, then I could buy his "unable to copy it for two years" explanation. But a SUPER ARTICULATE & INTELLIGENT NorCal guy like him with meticulous attention to detail being unable to make something happen for years that is so easy to do and so many people want........ it did strike me as being a little odd.

"if his work and time and effort is going to be attacked".... I in no way, shape, or form "attacked" Stale Air. I simply expressed publicly what I'm sure countless others have been thinking privately: "Why cant this thing get done?". I then offered a few "perhaps". Thankfully, my speculation as to the possible reasons why were shot down by the man himself.

Now, back to the point. It seems like a "lack of time" issue is holding back Stale Air. People have already offered money to Stale Air for him to copy the information......with no visible results. I have an idea: Lets find a "mobile notary" in NorCal that has copying and/or scanning capability. As a gesture of goodwill to the entire VW community, I will gladly pay the entire bill for the notary to go to the Stale Air estate, at a time of convenience for Stale Air, and gather the information. I will then forward the information to Everett and he can put it on the site. Full credit will be given to Stale Air, as it should.

Is this idea unreasonable?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to see this thread.

Mail it to me.
I'll scan it, add it to the site, and pay postage both ways.
I'd rather I pay the entire thing than any money go to Kinko's.
PM or email me directly if this is possibility as I may not see your response.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidvintage, where I used to work has no bearing on what I wrote, and posted.
You sounded like a spoiled little child, ie-.
"I want it, I want it NOW, and if I don't get it NOW I am going to have a shitfit temper tantrum until someone gives in and I get what I want"

I have a feeling, that stale air has been in this hobby, longer than you have been alive.
Are you just pissed because he has it, and you don't?
Are you just pissed because he hasn't posted the info, so YOU can get some monetary gain from it?
I seriously wouldn't blame the guy, if he just withdrew, logged off the Samba, and went back to where he was, before the advent of internet tough guys, and dot com warriors...
You could make lotsa friends that way, kidvintage. Stale Air has been providing this info, AS HIS TIME ALLOWS, for FREE. You piss him off, he disappears, and you are responsible, you're going to be rather unpopular.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

"I want it, I want it NOW, and if I don't get it NOW I am going to have a shitfit temper tantrum until someone gives in and I get what I want"

Really? It sounded that bad to you?

Re-read it.....sounded more like this to me: "After two years of it not happening.....I dont think its ever going to happen".
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
You piss him off, he disappears, and you are responsible, you're going to be rather unpopular.

Why would he disappear? I can tell he is a man of character and surely will follow through on his word at some point. I sincerely doubt that he is THAT thin-skinned so as to go crawl under a rock.
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidvintage wrote:

Now, back to the point. It seems like a "lack of time" issue is holding back Stale Air. People have already offered money to Stale Air for him to copy the information......with no visible results. I have an idea: Lets find a "mobile notary" in NorCal that has copying and/or scanning capability. As a gesture of goodwill to the entire VW community, I will gladly pay the entire bill for the notary to go to the Stale Air estate, at a time of convenience for Stale Air, and gather the information. I will then forward the information to Everett and he can put it on the site. Full credit will be given to Stale Air, as it should.

Is this idea unreasonable?

Now Dave.....is this idea unreasonable?
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oval has a dealer badge for the VW dealer in Munich, Germany. Very cool little bade, I believe it's aluminum, and it's riveted to the front quarter panels.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I happened to see this thread.

Mail it to me.
I'll scan it, add it to the site, and pay postage both ways.
I'd rather I pay the entire thing than any money go to Kinko's.
PM or email me directly if this is possibility as I may not see your response.

Thanks Everett, I appreciate the offer. Smile

Dave, thanks for the support, its appreciated as well. Cool

So, since kidvintage so eloquently asked for the list, here it is.
Now, because the print is so small I had to photocopy it, and also blow it up. So the clarity is not perfect. Click on it to enlarge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: