Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

51 rag project dash query?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: 51 rag project dash query? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new to the early stuff but shouldn't my dash speedo have an ignition switch in it? I have a switch on each side but no hole for an ignition key? an the reverse is a fuse mount. Any ideas?
Seems to be a steering lock though?
Cheers. Question
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bizarre. Never seen a VW pod like that. It should have an ignition switch. VW piggy backed a fuse on the pod in '51 or '52, but it was not like that.

Are the bits of wire still present there cloth or PVC? Is there a date and or part number on the speedo? The speedo style is the '51 and earlier face and housing.

Perhaps that is from a Porsche???

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the logo to the right of the "fuse"?? I don't think its Porsche.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What is the logo to the right of the "fuse"?? I don't think its Porsche.

No it's a VW logo. and on the left a K in a circle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is a KL in a circle

i've seen that logo on various fuse box covers or other electrical bakelite equipment (ex. wire cover for oval ignition locks) so maybe is the logo of a german manufacturer
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
That is bizarre. Never seen a VW pod like that. It should have an ignition switch. VW piggy backed a fuse on the pod in '51 or '52, but it was not like that.

Are the bits of wire still present there cloth or PVC? Is there a date and or part number on the speedo? The speedo style is the '51 and earlier face and housing.

Perhaps that is from a Porsche???

Some cloth wiring. speedo is etched but difficult to read. maybe 56 001 2
Question Rolling Eyes
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not Porsche.
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:
is a KL in a circle

i've seen that logo on various fuse box covers or other electrical bakelite equipment (ex. wire cover for oval ignition locks) so maybe is the logo of a german manufacturer

Could be a K over an L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the date code on the speedo. It can get hidden by rust/patina etc. Use a magnifying glass. Also, original VW pods had L-143 numbers I believe? Jim?

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K in a circle is the company stamp that made the pod, they did make VW pods. Is there a logo to the right of the fuse, under or close to that terminal with the cut off wires? You might have to rub some dust off it.

virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kostal made them, they are still in business today as a matter of fact. That "KL" is the logo to the left, I really want to know if there is a logo to the right of that fuse??? Where the VW logo would usually be....
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The K in a circle is the company stamp that made the pod, they did make VW pods. Is there a logo to the right of the fuse, under or close to that terminal with the cut off wires? You might have to rub some dust off it.

It's a VW roundal...

The fuse mount looks like it's part of a blanking plate for the dash. there may have been a hole bot the plate has a plug which fills it. so I guess the ignition was mounted on the column?
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussed it. It's a blank to go with the Huf column mount ignition.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=859188
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:

Interesting. Makes sense.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a VW logo on the pod?
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 51 rag project dash query? Reply with quote

Hi.
10 years later I have the birth certificate.... It has M code 003. which seems to be unknown. Maybe its blanked ignition?
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:

As you previously found out, the speedo panel without the usual ignition barrel position, goes with the column mounted ignition switch, and these were fitted to cars supplied to the British Army, of which your car was one.

I also have a 51 British Army supplied car, and here are a couple of pictures to show what they originally looked like. Note the typed bits of paper showing what the switches did! There are a couple of holes drilled in the front of the panel, where somebody had mounted an ashtray, as the standard model lacked such luxuries! Your car is actually a 1952 model, as is the other known car in the UK, but the fitments were the same. I hope that you are enjoying having the car back.

sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 51 rag project dash query? Reply with quote

Thanks Martin.
Yes I didn’t have the birth certificate 10 years ago 😄 great to have it back, does yours have a 003 M code too?
Also it has the paint code down as L 13. Middle green. Which is wrong. I remember taking it back to its original military green.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 51 rag project dash query? Reply with quote

If you look above at the information received 40 year ago from VW, (Yes, I've had the car that long!) it was provided in a different format to today.

You'll note that it says, Mehrausstattung 3 (More equipment 3) where I assume the M in M Codes comes from, and purely states 3, which I again assume is the same as your 003. They were therefore fitted with the same optional equipment, which again I assume is the column switch arrangement.

The truth is that I didn't know the history of my car, until Geoff bought yours and started to do some research, and then it became clear. For 30+ years, nobody had been able to tell me what 151 Vehicle-Coy, Lipstadt meant. This means: 151 Vehicle Company, the vehicle procurement division of the British Army, their German base at the time being in Lipstadt. https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/royal-logistic-corps/151-regiment-rlc/

Geoff went to have a look at the buildings 151 Company used a couple of years ago, on the way back from the meeting at Hessisch Oldendorf, and found them to be much the same today, as seen in period photos, although now used for housing asylum seekers.

Luckily, my car still has large areas of original paint, a lovely dark green, and I have never looked into what the colour was, but the quoted L13 - Middle Green looks to be correct. As you don't live that far away, you're welcome to come and have a look, and confirm this if you wish.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=MediumGreen&tditzler=zvwL13&rows=50
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: