Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody tow their camper?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtlyrba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Anybody tow their camper? Reply with quote

Today I went to Kragen to get headlights. Got home, took off the grille and realized I needed different lights for the "fog lights". So I went back to Kragen in my Touareg. And it occurred to me that I would go faster, get better gas mileage, and feel safer driving my Touareg towing my Westy.

Any thoughts on this idea? Anybody done it?
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres only one problem, You'll be driving a Touareg Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: TOwing Reply with quote

towed our hi top - mate driving our 90hp tdi skoda - me in camper.

15 miles into town - relatively flat (thankfully)
I would say use a long towing line - saves on the nerves. We had no engine power so no servo (now that is challenging on the brakes - especially when it is your own car 15 ft in front....).

GO steady - let the traffic build up behind you Very Happy
Travlinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article says yes if you have the right setup.

http://www.vanagonusedparts.com/library_article.php?id=1047

TM
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a tow trailer, buy a tow trailer.
Or, buy a Deisel pusher and tow a Jeep.
Your missing the point of the Westy.
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Didn't take pics so here goes... Reply with quote

As I didn't take the camera when we towed the van - did a little mock up for you.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Obviously we didn't actually use ribbon.... Embarassed [/img]
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, well i do tow my syncro 7 pass with my camper Smile

btw, awesome recreation mikey! i've been toying with the idea of making a lego recreation of my RV/van Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
ha, well i do tow my syncro 7 pass with my camper Smile

btw, awesome recreation mikey! i've been toying with the idea of making a lego recreation of my RV/van Smile

Arnt syncros suppose to be on a flatbed? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakeck2 wrote:
Arnt syncros suppose to be on a flatbed? Shocked

on a flat bed or all fours, it doesn't matter. auto trans needs a flatbed (or towed backwards on a dolly). you just can't tow a syncro on a dolly. i have probably 12k miles on that setup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to touch on the OP's original question i would say even with better mileage it would not be beneficial to tow a westy behind a toureg unless you really need two vehicles when you reach your destination.

the cheapest towing route is a dolly with it's own brakes but even with a braked dolly i would not risk both vehicles for what amounts to very little in gas money (if any after you subtract the cost of the dolly and tow brake setup)

i tow my syncro because i need a small car. i flat tow because a trailer is a PITA at RV parks and campgrounds, and i don't use a dolly because it's a syncro. so i use a towbar & mounts that cost $700 and a brake system that brakes the van when i brake the RV that cost me over $1000. installed the whole set up put me back over $2000. you can buy a lot of gas for that. for me it's worth it since i live full time in our RV and i have no intention of trading my syncro in for some saturn.
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that our whole family live in the little - amazingly well designed vehicle at the back for weeks at a time. And I am 6'4"

Don't know how I would spread out to fill all that space in the towing vehicle.... ;D
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikey9 wrote:
I love the fact that our whole family live in the little - amazingly well designed vehicle at the back for weeks at a time. And I am 6'4"

Don't know how I would spread out to fill all that space in the towing vehicle.... ;D

weeks...psst. when you have a house to go back to your kids can be convinced to take a lot less toys. Very Happy
mtlyrba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I would be better putting the money I would spend on a tow set up in to the engine.

I probably was missing the point a little - but I'm starting to get it. I drove it today and it started snowing. I am sort of relaxing and slowing down mentally to the car's pace. This is probably doing wonders for my blood pressure and will add years to my life.

Still, I am definitely getting 16s in the near future. It just feels a little unsafe. Maybe it's because I am used to the Touareg that feels like a tank and hauls ass (V-8 with Flowmasters and such). It just kind of scares me when someone crosses the double yellow coming the other way or a breeze or semi sends me drifting.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtlyrba wrote:

I probably was missing the point a little - but I'm starting to get it. I drove it today and it started snowing. I am sort of relaxing and slowing down mentally to the car's pace.

Some people just aren't cut out for Westys.

The Vanagon is a breadbox.. horrid aerodynamics. Introduce a gusty crosswind and it can be a major fright driving one of these things if you're used to heavier vehicles, with more "robust" powerplants... or are accustomed to low slung sedans with climate control.

No matter what you do, you will always feel the crosswinds in a Westy.. or the buffeting from semis coming at you on 2 lane hwys.. just a reality.

But you can minimize some of the unpleasantness.

As you noticed already.. you can slow down. There are threads here discussing "what speed do you cruise?".. You'll see that lots of us cruise at 60. Try that on HWY 5 from Bakersfield to the Grapevine Laughing !

Then, as you are aware, there's a major trend towards bigger, fatter wheels and tires.. which helps some.. but not as much as $750-$2000+ might suggest it would.

Then there's your old worn out shocks (best bang for buck improvement, IMO, replace em...)

Then there's the 20 yr old front suspension bushings, balljoints, steering rack, springs, etc. And there's the sway bar...

And thats just the beginning. Engine swap?

Bottom line.. A Westy will never be a Sportsmobile. It will never drive like a Touareg.. And its never gonna rumble like a Flowmaster.

But if you're up for the journey, its kinda fun to find the zone that best suits you.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of engine do you have in your syncro that you can push that big RV on the highway!! Would it not be easier to pull the RV than push it!!!

Sorry I could not help it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westynova wrote:

What kind of engine do you have in your syncro that you can push that big RV on the highway!! Would it not be easier to pull the RV than push it!!!

Sorry I could not help it.

the zetec is the bomb!!

A parts westy that i have has a setup to tow behind a camper. Pretty neat rig.
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed several vans with Limey using an A-frame. Not sure if it's legal over there... it's a grey area over here!!

It's hard work and takes a lot more concentration due to the slop in the system of the van following behind at speed. Limey's already high and top heavy so it rolls a bit, add this to towing another van which wants to wander a bit and it feels like you've been driving for 12 hours after 3!

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westynova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at doing an engine conversion in a couple of years. The contenders are:
- GW 2.3L
- Ben's Subie Conversion 2.5L
- Zetec
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Rolling Eyes
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westynova wrote:
I am looking at doing an engine conversion in a couple of years. The contenders are:
- GW 2.3L
- Ben's Subie Conversion 2.5L
- Zetec

Just tow it with a Touareg.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: