Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which insurance?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogberry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Which insurance? Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of posts about good policies from Progressive but otherwise.... with big bucks I've put in this car I'm not satisfied with the payout for wreak or theft. Anyone have any leads? Notions? I've heard about "classic car" policies but don't think it applies here. I need to insure for at least the value of the basic automobile and all the upgrades. And of course I have all receipts to prove the investments.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been really happy with Farmers Insurance. When I did my engine conversion I was afraid of not being able to insure our van for what I had put into it. I called my agent and he said that if I had all the receipts, to copy them, tally them up, and bring in the paperwork to put on file. If I did this prior to a claim, the amount would be on file and this would be the basis of coverage. My insurance premium did not go up by doing this.
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagons usually dont fit the classic car insurer market like the Hagerty's of the world, but any company should be able to set up a agrred value or stated value policy for you. try to stay away from a ACV policy the depreciation will kill you...get an appraisal you will thank the heavens if you ever end up needing one for claims purposes
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been extremely happy with Farmers as well. They treated me fairly during a wreck and gave me full market value for the van without much opposition.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good info. thus far.

I have my vans insured by Progressive.
Only very small claims years ago, nothing major to report since and I would like to keep it that way.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with Nationwide for the last 20 years. I had a rather hellish experience with my adjuster when I wrecked the Adventurewagen but when the dust settled I got a very fair settlement and my rates didn't go up. IMO, the key to making sure it is insured for enough is to make sure that you have an Independant appraisal clause in your policy. That is the only thing that made a difference in my case. I think that is dictated at the state level though.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure there is a clause in your policy called: Agreed Value Replacement. If not get one in there and this may cost you a little more.

Contact your agent and be sure that: the value you use is accurate and the amount of insurance equals or exceeds the required amount to cover depreciation from the date of the original policy. Be prepared to jump through some hoops to justify your cost - pix, receipts, market information, and possibly an independant appraisal, not always the case but........

Good luck

Last edited by nacradriver on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure, but i believe most states have the arbiter clause or independent appraiser clause where if the insured and company cannot reach a agreement the insured has the right to request a indepent arbitrator to asses the damage and theres always the States- Insurance Dept which by law must review every complaint filed...
ive been with Nationwide since 1992 and have a stated value rider on my van which means i insure at my appraised value no depreciation what the appraisal says is what i get in the event of a total...which without the appraisal i would get Actual Cash Value , book value minus depreciation= Evil or Very Mad
Dogberry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Thanks to all... BTW the Bostig is coming along nicely, but being who I am, and because I'm in the mode, I'm doing tons of work besides just the engine... I too was with Nationwide for decades but switched to my new wife's policy with State Farm because she wanted to stay with them. Maybe Nationwide will give me a break having been with them for decades... time to break out the scanner/copier and start adding it up. Amazing what kind of money I'v spend but hot damn she is a beautiful ride.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which insurance? Reply with quote

Dogberry wrote:
I've seen a couple of posts about good policies from Progressive but otherwise.... with big bucks I've put in this car I'm not satisfied with the payout for wreak or theft. Anyone have any leads? Notions? I've heard about "classic car" policies but don't think it applies here. I need to insure for at least the value of the basic automobile and all the upgrades. And of course I have all receipts to prove the investments.

Insurance company is only one spin of the wheel, the second one, not necessarily in this order is *Agent*. Approximately two years ago I checked on price with AAA in Las Vegas. $800+, which was almost double what I paid in California and in case of total loss I was getting Blue Book, *their* Blue Book.
I had given up when I consulted with *another* AAA location. Less than what I was paying in California, therefore less than half the quote from the previous agent AND $10000 reimbursement in case of total loss no question asked.

Are the agents paid a commission on the premium paid? Is it a polizia mexicana attitude? How much is it ? How much do you have Question Rolling Eyes

Also if you have another so-called everyday car I believe the Vanagons are going soon to qualify with Hagerty.

Olle Very Happy

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have State Farm homeowners and auto insurance and have been treated quite well. Auto Insurance Outline

Liability-Bodily injury $50.000/$100.000
Property damage $100.000
Comprehensive
$250.00 Deductable Collision
Emergency Road Service
Auto Rental % Travel Expenses 80% per day $500.00 Maxamime
Uninsured Motor Vehicle Bodily Injury $25.000/$50.000

$552.00 per year
thewump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no Vanagon wreck experience, but with a used Merc I found State Farm to be excelent and based the valuation on real life recent dealer sales including sales tax.

The shop I use for my porsche warn me not to use Allstate for what it's worth. They claim that Allstate are the worst for forcing them to fix / repair parts and panels that should really be replaced.

K
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: