Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eccentric Rev Counter
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Eccentric Rev Counter Reply with quote

Here's an odd one that my van's just started doing over the past week or two:

1: When I first startup the van and drive it, the Rev Counter has started behaving really eccentrically. Here's a clip of it while the van is parked up and idling. But, while driving, the swings are even more pronounced; I've had the rev counter drop to zero while I'm driving slowly and almost go into the red when I've got the revs high enough where I'm just about to change up a gear --at an engine speed when normally I'd be in the middle of the green zone.

Link

Now, I supposed the obvious thing anyone is going to say is that the Rev Counter might not settle down right away when the engine is cold. But it's never done this before and it will continue to behave like this even after I've been driving for 15 or 20 mins and the engine has come up to working temperature.

Neither is there any oddness in the way the engine is running. It's running as smoothly and regularly as it always does [you may be able to hear it purring sweetly in the background].

Now, here's the odd thing. If I park up the van and leave it for 5 or 10 mins and then come back and start up again, the Rev Counter will be good as gold and solid as a rock again. Here it is after letting the engine sit for a few minutes and then starting again:

Link

It's almost like parking it up allows the heat from the engine bay to dissipate <somewhere> that fixes the wobbly Rev Counter needle --until the engine is left to go cold again.

One thing that would help tracking it down would be if I knew how and where the Rev Counter reads the engine speed from. I'm presuming on a van of this vintage it's a purely mechanical sensor and the flywheel would seem the obvious candidate for measuring from, but I don't see any likely looking cable going into the engine bay anywhere.
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric Rev Counter Reply with quote

Diesel? Diesel tachs got a signal from the W terminal on the Alternator. I donít believe any of the diesel vanagons sold in the US market had tachs. So you are either sporting a diesel tach from somewhere else, or itís a gasser tach thatís been modified.

Makes sense that the heat soaking of the alternator might improve tach function.
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric Rev Counter Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Diesel? Diesel tachs got a signal from the W terminal on the Alternator....

Yep. 1,6TD.

Thanks. I'll check out the alternator connections. I should have thought of that myself. seems obvious now. I was racking my brains trying to think of some part of the engine where you could measure its rotational speed and it never occurred to me that you could measure it from something attached to the engine which turned with it!

D'oh!

MarkWard wrote:
...So you are either sporting a diesel tach from somewhere else, or itís a gasser tach thatís been modified...

I'm in UK.
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric Rev Counter Reply with quote

The 2.2 marked on the face of the tach tells that it is an alternator W lead tach, calibrated for a 2.2 to 1 pulley ratio.

Mark
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric Rev Counter Reply with quote

Has it been very wet there recently? Sounds like your diesel tachometer connections got wet and are shorting out. After some engine heat they dry out and it works normally.
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric Rev Counter Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Has it been very wet there recently?...

And some! Seems like we've had about half a dozen dry days in the past 3 or 4 months. Bet you never knew England had a monsoon season?
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro
djkeev Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Eccentric Rev Counter Reply with quote

stuzbot wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
Has it been very wet there recently?...

And some! Seems like we've had about half a dozen dry days in the past 3 or 4 months. Bet you never knew England had a monsoon season?

I like that.....
"KNEW England"
Vs our
"New England"

Honestly, I think of Jolly Old England as a damp wet place with occasional breaks of Sun and warmth.
And the news reports that the Country has been getting unusually pounded by Winter storms and flooding this year.
Most of Our New England is sorely lacking in Winter moisture this Winter.
Can you send it back to us?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Eccentric Rev Counter Reply with quote

Yeah. I would recommend lubing that alternator W connector with some dielectric grease smeared on the contacts. Should help maintain good conductivity and keep out some of the humidity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: