Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has Stainless Steel Coolant pipes in their van?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Who has Stainless Steel Coolant pipes in their van? Reply with quote

Just a question on what company your van's SS pipes came from and are/were you satisfied with your purchase?

I am looking into all options of SS pipes and just wanted some advice from those that have made the purchase and install.

Not that there is any problem with the originals' that I have but that whole once of protection thing has me wondering, should I not replace them while I have the oportunity.

Thanks in advance!

Tim
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at SS coolant pipes also. Since acquiring an 86 and seeing the hose from the t-stat to the pipe has split after the clamp. I'm leaning towards the GW pipes because they have eliminated this hose by bending one of the pipes. This hose is NLA anyhow. And the price difference is not much more compared to the other sets out there. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4407&category_id=79&category_parent_id=

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 85 had new ss pipes when i got it.they where replaced about 3-4 yrs ago.i havnt had any problems with the and the outside is still shinny new.dont know where he got them though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set from GoWesty in the fall. They were the 2 peice version with the connecting hose. They were very easy to install. No complaints so far. I haven't noticed any difference in drivabilty but i wasn't expecting to.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced mine in the truck a few years ago. I got them from Van Cafe. I noticed that my OEM pipes were on the verge of blowing up when replacing the radiator and rubber hoses so I swapped them out too. I haven't ever looked at them again as a possible weak link in the cooling system again.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

binger59 wrote:
I've been looking at SS coolant pipes also. Since acquiring an 86 and seeing the hose from the t-stat to the pipe has split after the clamp. I'm leaning towards the GW pipes because they have eliminated this hose by bending one of the pipes. This hose is NLA anyhow. And the price difference is not much more compared to the other sets out there. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4407&category_id=79&category_parent_id=

Your 86 looks real nice!

I think that the GW kit is probably the way I will go also, unless someone has a better solution?

Thanks everyone for the input!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I replaced mine in the truck a few years ago. I got them from Van Cafe. I noticed that my OEM pipes were on the verge of blowing up when replacing the radiator and rubber hoses so I swapped them out too. I haven't ever looked at them again as a possible weak link in the cooling system again.

X2 on Van-Cafe. Used the two piece. Well built and I shouldn't need to ever think about them again.
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for GW SS pipes. No complaints, no runs, no errors...

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
ranchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x3 on Van Cafe. Two years, no problems. Oh yeah - I have an EJ25 in mine and it seems to run about 6 degrees cooler than every other EJ25 conversion. I suppose the pipes could help dissipate heat better, but.....
'90 Westy Syncro EJ25 (money pit #1)
'96 FZJ80 (cheap by comparison^^)
'13 Golf R. Daily driver.

Last edited by ranchero on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive my set was from Terry K No problems it might run 2-6 deg cooler with them seems to be a very good grade of SS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have some made up at a muffler shop where I live. They are going to be stainless and the guy is only charging me $125.00 for both thats parts and labor. I have to remove my old ones for him to bend the new ones and I am going to have him extend it. I am also having him do them in 2 sections for easier install. I am going to order the silicone coupling off ebay. So if your on a tight budget this may be a way cheaper way to go. If you order from anyone you are going to have to pay the shipping so a muffler shop may be a lot cheaper for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87Enterprise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x4 vancafe's product and were installed May of 08
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is NOT a knock on any vendor for selling the product, but I will NEVER install stainless cooling tubes on any of my vans. The answer as to why can be found here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218412&highlight=galvanic

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
vanaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set from Bus Depot, I think. Been in there for about a year.
It's the two-piece style. The only complaints I have are:
1. No instructions. You have to decide which pipe goes where. This isn't too big of a problem, except that...
2. One of the pipe ends doesn't end up where you expect it to. IIRC, it was the outboard rear one. This led to a lot of head scratching and repeated test-fitting. The end sticks farther away from center than the original.
In my case, the mis-positioned end didn't matter because I'm not using an OEM hose in that spot; it may matter if you are.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Stainless pipes Reply with quote

I have a set in my Tristar . Easy to install and great piece of mind. When I replaced mine,one of the steel insert had bee working its way out .The previous owner somewhere in Sweden had just added a second hose clamp to fix the problem. I too used the two piece pipes and purchased them from Go Westy.
That along with a new radiator and numerous other items of the Stainless variety.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have TK pipes. Good quality, easy install.

I didnt see this posted yet, but I couldnt get the front vw hangers to fit. had to make up a set.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loogy wrote:
This is NOT a knock on any vendor for selling the product, but I will NEVER install stainless cooling tubes on any of my vans. The answer as to why can be found here.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218412&highlight=galvanic

I'd be curious to know if anyone who has been running SS pipes for a couple yrs.. have cracked open thier heads to see what corrosion might have developed.

This is a major issue in the marine environment.

In many marinas there is stray electrical current in the water in which boats rest in thier slips. The galvanic reaction is enough to destroy some expensive and structural componenst like keel bolts and mast-steps.

Adding the galvanic problems to SS's relatively lame ability to withstand vibration, I am leaning towards using long runs of properly rated 'rubber' hose

edited to add:

I guess if corrosion were an issue, one could always install a sacrificial zinc anode in each head?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody on the west coast sell the one piece pipes? I'd order them from TK but the shipping is rather expensive from the midwest.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Our sets are available online now Reply with quote

You can check out our coolant pipe sets online at:

http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/VanagonWaterboxerParts.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: