Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who uses their sink?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Who uses their sink? Reply with quote

I've been giving a lot of thought to how the interior space is used in a westie - In retrospect, looking back at how we used the camper on several trips, it seemed that the stove got limited use and the sink virtually none at all. We tended to almost always cook outside and do all of our food prep and cleanup outside - washing in a basin using hot water that we heated on the camp stove outside.
Looking at a post on Propex heater installations I saw pics of a unit that sits just inside the sliding door behind the passenger seat and thought - what about a unit that would sit there, have a stove top such as this, be light enough to remove easily and put outside to use outside or to use inside as the occasion warrented. If it had a swing up shelf that would support a basin for washing and/or food prep so much the better.
So - who uses their built in sink - and how much? How about the water tank in the westie?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by J Charlton on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine gets plenty of use, if you camp year round you will need it for cooking, washing fruit, pasta strainer, etc. Also, before going to bed, I rinse my mouth in he sink, brush teeth, you know....

I'm sure more than one has had a bladder emergency in the middle of the night after a few beers and instead of stepping out ... Laughing

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely use the built in appliances during nice weather.
Why would I stay in a cramped van when it's nice out?

However, when the weather turns sour, it's nice to be able to retreat to the van and still make dinner.
guggenheim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sink is one of my girlfriends favorite feature from the Westy. She hates getting out of the van into early, wet and cold mornings do simple things like brushing teeth, washing hands, washing coffee cups, etc.

I on the otherhand, can do without. When I buy a Syncro, I'm probably going with a Weekender w/ poptop. More room for my bike and climbing gear! Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

I'm sure more than one has had a bladder emergency in the middle of the night after a few beers and instead of stepping out ... :lol:

Geez - if my wife reads this, with two sons .... the sink will definitely have to go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

I'm sure more than one has had a bladder emergency in the middle of the night after a few beers and instead of stepping out ... Laughing

Geez - if my wife reads this, with two sons .... the sink will definitely have to go

Oh Cmon, you have never done that? Razz
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the kitchen and built a pedestal unit with a sink based on the early bay westys. We use it a lot - cooking is usually right out the sliding door - clean up in the sink. Its not perfect yet, modifications will be made some day.

past rides...
1972 Westfalia
1974 Bus - RIP
1969 auto stick beetle - The "Dolphin" bug
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since buying my Westy in late Oct 09 and during and after the 4000 mile trip I find myself looking at those components in their original positioning and I just know that someone who never sailed nor camped designed it. I also wonder what's with no head?

I'd like to redesign it but I'd have to get somebody to do it. My only concern would be affecting the $value of a classic. I like the stove at the door so you can use it indoor or outdoor and I do use a pail Sada dedicated) pail for doing dishes with hot water I've boiled either on the BBQ lid or on a grill on fire but it is nice to have a small sink inside as mentionned. Some sailboats (CS27 come to mind) had a pull out sink above the head. That would be good use of spave too. Right now I use a dedicated pail with a tight lid. I wouldn't let anyone pee in my sink! Hang it out the door if need be, but not in my sink Cool

With this talk I would like to add that I would certainly like more organized drawers and cupboards which appears very possible with the stove/cupboards at sliding door. The only thing is that it would prevent the passengers captains chair from swivelling backwards (which is built for that but does not function.

I'm a bit leary of the stove being below curtains as in the original position.
You know for years sailboat interior designers never got it right until ladies started criticing the layouts and affected the buyers power.

Personally I'd like my galley reorganized but again does it devalue and/or increase value when it is done well?

And I like the bench/sofa sitting where the galley was as more condusive to variety of seating plans. See I leave my sofa down and made up as bed when I'm travelling, easier for me and my dog likes it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WW_Victoria
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original layout is not too bad for 1 or 2 people... We are a family of 4... so it gets crowded. I dont turn the seats in this van because I built a bed for my 4yo son on the front seats, the nook seat in the photo is coming out soon because I have found myself an early jumpseat.

As for retaining value - to me, it is to be camped in and used. its utilitarian. I expect to part this van out someday... into my next van.

past rides...
1972 Westfalia
1974 Bus - RIP
1969 auto stick beetle - The "Dolphin" bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: interior layout Reply with quote

I think that the only "given" in my ideal westy interior layout would be that there would be a fridge. A year ago I put a Vitifiorio (sp) clone - Truckfridge in my westy and it is great - no matter what, it'll stay, maybe not where it is, but it'll stay.
I'm thinking(dreaming) of a westy 5th seat, a unit that has a stovetop and a flip up shelf with sink and a fridge unit. I'd like to have the stovetop/sink unit and the westy 5th seat be able to slide in and out - probably using the original westy floor rails and perhaps, another rail closer to the passenger seat base.
Ideally, I would remove the existing westy fridge/sink/stove unit and the cabinetry that holds the water tank. shift the westy seat all the way over to the left side and build a fridge unit in just inside the sliding door. It would be stationary, the other two units - the seat and the stove/sink unit could be taken out once stopped to camp, or used inside for quick stops on the road. The westy seat could be used or not used for travelling - I'd like to use it so that the table could be used for board games or whatever while on the road, or to separate the kids.
What do folks think would be the maximum "comfortable" weight of a lift out unit?
The fridge unit would be something like this. except with a couple of drawers above it for kitchen stuff.

Last edited by J Charlton on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight of unit so it could be lifted out? Lifted out by who? Here's a chauvinistic thought would a woman be able to lift the same as a man? Heck I can't pop my lid. Razz So whenever I stop more than one nite I'll just ask some one in the area to pop it. I can get it down by hanging on it.

What about being put on a sliding out floor that would lock into place and hang out the door under an awning?

Don't mean to go off thread but how the heck do people get to the upper birth? I realize you could lift a child and somebody really heavy should not even try it. I took my cushions out and use the place for storage and to save their quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: lifted out Reply with quote

OK - so lifted out by you - comfortably - the idea of sliding out on rails is an interesting one but I like to be able to close the door of my westy at night - where I camp and fish bears have been known to visit at night - I'd sooner have the door closed. Also, as there are mosquitos the size of large hummingbirds, we try to keep the door closed as much as possible.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you re mosquitoes. I am busy developing screens for my doggie window vents so that one or both front windows can be down and locked into position for safety. I have the concept just working on it. Did get the back door screen tho.

If you designed it on a 3/4 plywood sliding in and out base you could still slide it in at nite or when you are not using it. I like the idea because when its really hot or even regular temp one could cook outside without heating the van up. At 5'7" I find the galley counter sorta low for me so my newborn idea could be an anwer as I'd get to stand lower on the ground. Think slide out better than swing out.

I think I'll have to make an effort to come see you and see how you redesign and reuild. It's just down the road afterall.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my sink / water tank all the time when camping - and sometimes when not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the lay out just the way it is. I use the stove, sink, the water in the tank, the swivel seats. there is a place for everything. I've moved things around several times giving a lot of thought to what would work best, and now have stuff stowed just the way I like it.

A small rv dish rack work well on the drainboard, with a small dishpan for a rinse sink dishes are easy. I cook in our van, especially love to brew coffee early in the morning and relax on the couch 'downstairs' while husband is still sleeping in the upper bunk.

the fridge quit working on one camping trip, but has worked just fine every time since.

extra gear is the awning, an outdoor folding table and little gas grill.

every time I pack the westy to go camping, I marvel at it's ability to hold so much in such a convenient manner!
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sink is a good safe place to pee when surrounded by grisly bear. I real Westy guy as peed in his van a few time!

I can't pee in the sink wile driving hard south, i use a Gatorade bottle, good size.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
A sink is a good safe place to pee when surrounded by grisly bear. I real Westy guy as peed in his van a few time!

I can't pee in the sink wile driving hard south, i use a Gatorade bottle, good size.

Ben
We can count on Ben for rigorous honesty. That's what I am talking about! Wink
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

Ben

^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^

Good advice. The Gatorade bottles have a nice, wide "mouth"........ Wink

BTDT. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the sink and stove on every camping trip and on most day trips. I also swivel the passenger seat so one of us has a place to sit out of the way while the other prepares a meal. Being able to cook indoors when the weather is bad or on a cold morning is one of the top reasons to own a Westy IMO. The only other layout that would make sense to me is the weekender with no sink/stove and just the fold out table. Otherwise, seems like re-inventing the wheel to change the original layout.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sink is one of those things that if you don't use it you don't. If you do, you probably love it.

We don't usually use the water tank for drinking water, but having use of the sink and a water pump changes the camping experience for me. For instance, at the 10KLF music festival it was mostly "full" portapotties and no way to wash hands, unless you were willing to take a 6 minute walk. I was able to wash my hands, my face, brush teeth, wash dishes, make coffee and all sorts of civilized things thanks to the sink. Sure you can do it outside. It's just nice not to in some situations, and handy in any situation besides.

If I were to make one change, I'd have the fresh water tank be removable and more easily filled, next to a smaller one for grey water. Someone here did that in a custom job, I liked it. That grey water issue - especially while on a hard day's interstate drive - is the bug in the system for me.

As to using the sink as a restroom, that would be a no for us.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: