Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine stalling
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notbobleclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Engine stalling Reply with quote

I just bought my first old VW. It is a fully restored 59 Beetle. I can start it fine with the manual choke on. However, sometimes I have to leave the choke half on or else it will stall. Another time I managed to completely close off the choke, drive 7 km before it started to sputter. It was like gas was not getting to the engine. When I would press the gas pedal it would sputter and die. I could start it again but not get it to move. I would wait a bit and then I could go a km or 2 and repeat the same issue. Tonight after not starting it for 2 days, I started without issue but could not close the choke. I needed it revving really high or it would stall. Does anyone know what would cause this? Fuel pump? Carburetor? The car was in storage for 17 years but in a VW dealership show room.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Engine stalling Reply with quote

It sounds like the float bowl in the carb is running dry. If you have one of the clear inline filters installed anywhere between the tank and the carb, check it to see that it has fuel in it. If it doesn't either the tank has a clog, your out of gas, or your fuel pump isn't suctioning.

To check if its the fuel tank, with the car turned off and the engine cold you can remove the line feeding the fuel pump and try blowing in it. You should hear bubbling in the gas tank and if you do that rules out the fuel line to the pump being blocked. If the tank/tank lines are clear, its time to rebuild that fuel pump.

Above all, be extremely cautious working with fuel and make sure the engine is stone cold to avoid risk of fire/explosion.

Good luck
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine stalling Reply with quote

If the car was sitting for 17 years, I would go through every system before putting it on the road. Fuel system, electrical system, brakes, just to begin with.
Manx Clone (Bert)
1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop (Barry)
notbobleclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stalling Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I boughht it from a VW dealer 400 km away and put it on a trailer to bring here. Before picking up the shop mechanic went over everything to make sure it was safe and in running order. I took it for a drive to make sure. Which leads me to believe there may be something in the fuel line.

I tried to find a fuel filter and do not see one in the engine compartment. Non before the fuel pump nor after going into the carb. Is that normal for a 1959?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine stalling Reply with quote

notbobleclair wrote:
I tried to find a fuel filter and do not see one in the engine compartment. Non before the fuel pump nor after going into the carb. Is that normal for a 1959?

Your car didn't come with an in-line fuel filter from the factory. There's a fine mesh screen attached to the outlet fitting inside the fuel tank...that was it. Many people add an in-line filter to the flexible fuel line where it exits the chassis right next to the transmission.

You might want to check the condition of that screen filter in the tank and the inside of the tank itself. After sitting for 17 years, moisture could've collected in there and caused rust to clog that screen.

Check to make sure the fuel tank is properly vented too.

Take the top off the carburetor and see if there's sediment at the bottom of the float bowl. Examine the main and idle jets to make sure they're free of any crud.

You're not running that car on 17 year old gas, are you?
'69.5 Ghia convertible (sold)
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine stalling Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8771874#8771874
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: