Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Fuel, Flooding? Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckkeeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: 1966 Fuel, Flooding? Issue Reply with quote

I have searched on this and tried a few of the things mentioned with no luck. I bought as project and rebuilt top end and installed engine a couple of months ago. I took carb apart cleaned and replaced float, gaskets, etc. It ran before doing the top end rebuild but definitely needed it with broken rings etc.
It has an electronic fuel pump that was with it. When I 1st turn the ignition on and let the pump run a few seconds, it starts right up without touching the gas pedal and runs fine. When I turn it off and wait longer than a couple of minutes it won't start. I have tried starting with pedal down, pumping pedal and it may start sometimes. The next morning it starts right up as before. Could I have done something on the carb reassembly to cause flooding? I followed Slades youtube video on this. I haven't checked oil yet but concerned about fuel getting down there
Thanks for any input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fuel, Flooding? Issue Reply with quote

Rebuild kits come with crappy float valves. Even original ones can be overwhelmed by an electric pump unless it's regulated correctly. What's your fuel pressure?
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
chuckkeeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fuel, Flooding? Issue Reply with quote

Well based on other posts, I switched back to the original float that it ran with and started fine. Not sure how to measure pressure but it ran fine with it before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chuckkeeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fuel, Flooding? Issue Reply with quote

Looking at fuel pump pressure gauges online. Can the pump pressure change with other variables?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fuel, Flooding? Issue Reply with quote

After shutting it down as you normally would problems getting it to restart, pull the air cleaner off and have a look down the carburetor throat for a few minutes -- do you see/hear fuel dribbling down the throat? What specific carburetor are you running?
chuckkeeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Fuel, Flooding? Issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.
It's a VW Solex 30 PICT-3.
Started it right up and ran for a few minutes. Took off air cleaner and didn't see or hear any leakage/gurgling.
I think I will get a mechanical pump and take off the electronic one that came with it. Will need to get the flange and figure out which size drive rod I need.
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: