Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger brake booster, improved brakes.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Oh yeah you can't find new units. Not the ATE 300088. Trust me I have spent hours and hours over the past three years.

I even emailed ATE and they stopped producing them and don't plan to produce them.

As you mentioned only the new BMW units can be purchased for $1200+

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Quote:
This brake booster (short number 30088 or long number 03.7760-0902.4) is no longer available from us and is phased out without any replacement or alternative.
There are no plans to restart a production.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Mr. D.Franz

Technische Hotline Aftermarket/Technical Hotline Aftermarket

A year ago, 10 new ATE units appeared on for $200 each, $1000 shipping. I believe they were saying they want you to buy them all. Looking back on it, I kinda wish I bought them up.
DrEvil914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
CARDONE 532601

OEM / Interchange Numbers: 34331157416, 34331157908

Rock auto has this unit in stock for $105.79 (this price includes an $18 core charge we wont likely be able to recover). I just ordered one and can post up when it arrives.
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Just had my local NAPA order this booster. It appears to be the correct BMW part but I would like to make sure. The part number is a NAPA number and I can not find a cross reference to the BMW. The overall circumference is 10.7.

Is this the correct part for the upgrade. Going into a 1982 Westy, originally a 1.6 Diesel.

Chris

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

DrEvil914 wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
CARDONE 532601

Rock auto has this unit in stock for $105.79 (this price includes an $18 core charge we wont likely be able to recover). I just ordered one and can post up when it arrives.

Just saw this. Same number from Rock Auto as NAPA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Wow thanks!!!

Just ordered one from Rockauto for 143$ CAD! It was 283$ CAD for the same Cardone on NAPA in Canada. This is a extremely good deal, while it last, since the used ones are super expensive on Ebay.

Bad timing I guess since I just ordered a girling used from ebay for 100$. It look great and in good condition but realised once I received it it's missing the center push rod so sort of useless unless I could find a push rod. If anyone have a spare push rod this could be a good option too, I won't need it anymore, let me know.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

+1 ordered thanks. Idea
trihartsfield wrote:
DrEvil914 wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
CARDONE 532601

Just saw this. Same number from Rock Auto as NAPA.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tikiman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

I purchased this same Cardone unit from Autozone in 2017 for $107 + $29 core, which they returned when I gave them my original unit. Markswagen installed it with some minor modification to the clevis and it works great with my GoWesty "Bigger Brake" kit. I did not notice a huge improvement with the booster itself, but everything has worked nicely together since installation, both at higher speeds and in mountain passes around the Eastern Sierra/395.

A happy customer!

Adam
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

JPrato wrote:
I got a notice from RockAuto that the Cardone rebuilt booster 532601 is back in stock.

https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1011238&parttype=1884

Well, this booster didn't quite work as expected. The rod going to the master cylinder was about 1/8 too long. This is while the rod to the pedal is not even connected. In this picture you can see the space between the master cylinder and the booster when the rod touches the back of the master.

With the rod too long the brakes can not fully release. You will go for a couple stops and then they will progressively lock up. After they cool for a bit they will release. Ask me how I know. I made a spacer and got it to work. It causes interference with the brake line on the left side with the dash brace but I was able to bend it to get it to work.

Yes, the BMW booster does decrease pedal pressure a bit but I'm not sure it is worth the hassle given the availability of the booster and apparent variability in construction?

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

I ended up sending my original booster to Cardone, through NAPA, to get it rebuilt. $140. Haven't received it back yet. Will update when I do.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

JPrato wrote:
JPrato wrote:

Well, this booster didn't quite work as expected. The rod going to the master cylinder was about 1/8 too long. [/img]

Ahh man sorry to hear about your bad experience. Do you know if your master cylinder is OEM? I haven't heard of anyone else have this issue. I am wondering if there might be a mistake on Cardone's part.
532601 Rockauto info:
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
JPrato wrote:
JPrato wrote:

Well, this booster didn't quite work as expected. The rod going to the master cylinder was about 1/8 too long. [/img]

Ahh man sorry to hear about your bad experience. Do you know if your master cylinder is OEM? I haven't heard of anyone else have this issue. I am wondering if there might be a mistake on Cardone's part.
532601 Rockauto info:

It was a Beck/Arnley from Rock Auto. So not OEM but supposed to be compatible.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=485679...%2B4p3AMyd

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

I installed the E30 booster around 2013/2014, and had no problems.

Last year my speedo plastic part off cluster broke, so I replaced the speedo cable.

For about a year now, I've been chasing how to stop the speedo from chattering.

It curves around the BMW ATE booster and goes to the cluster. I've read this has cause problems, others say it's not a problem.

I've lubed the cable, played with it, etc. Are there known good cables? Slightly longer ones? Better vendor than another? etc?

Just trying to figure how to get this damn cable to stop chattering.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
connor_warren59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Also for those who need one of these…the Cardone remanufactured part is available currently. Their availability is somewhat limited, I just snagged one from RockAuto but also saw them on amazon. Cardone 532601

Get one while you can! I’ve been waiting 6 months or so for them to become available again.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

rotaecho wrote:
I installed the E30 booster around 2013/2014, and had no problems.

Last year my speedo plastic part off cluster broke, so I replaced the speedo cable.

For about a year now, I've been chasing how to stop the speedo from chattering.

It curves around the BMW ATE booster and goes to the cluster. I've read this has cause problems, others say it's not a problem.

I've lubed the cable, played with it, etc. Are there known good cables? Slightly longer ones? Better vendor than another? etc?

Just trying to figure how to get this damn cable to stop chattering.

We finally solved our chattery/bouncy speedo due to the E30 booster by going with the GW GPS speedo. Buttery smooth
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

I dig the analog tach!

I don't recall where I read it but I believe someone mentioned lowering where the cable comes into the van - to get the extra length you need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Jump to:
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: