Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is my van worth?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: What is my van worth? Reply with quote

Yea, another one of "these threads"...

I'm going to be selling my van to one of a few friends, but I'm not all that sure what it is worth as TDI westies for sale are quite rare, so I'd like to hear what some of you figure its worth.

Here are the details.

The van is an 82', originally air cooled, and my buddy swapped in the TDI, Kennedy Adaptor plate (50*install so the lower bed can be slept on in either direction) and flywheel and stage 1 clutch. I bought it from him a few years ago and have done quite a bit of work on it since then. The van has 171,000 on it and the engine has ~110,000.

The stock turbo was replaced with a “Bleached Bora” Hybrid K03/K04 hybrid (externally identical to a K03), and I have the original K03 as a spare.

Gauges, EGT (pre turbine), Boost, oil pressure, oil temp, and coolant temp, all housed in a custom gauge pod that is mounted above the speedo/working tach, it came out pretty trick for sure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Large auxillary air to oil oil cooler, with a thermostatically switched fan, there is an indicator light under the oil temp gauge so you know when the fan comes on. Its set to come on when the oil hits 195*

Killer headlights, one is a Hella H4 from susquhenna (SP) motorsports, 55 watt low beam with teh distinct light cut off line like new cars, and 100 watt high beam, the other light is one from peru, its beam pattern really compliments the Hella well. I have also run heavy gauge wire directly from the battery to relays to the lights, the brights absolutely crush the dark.

a Vitrofrigo fridge, quite efficient and stays plenty cold in 95* temps, I've never been in hotter weather than that with it. I also have a thermometer mounted in the fridge door so you can see the temp inside without opening the door.

There is a small freezer in the fridge that will keep stuff frozen for sure.

130 watt solar panel with charge controller. The panel is set up on the roof so that it can be tilted 3 directions and still be locked to the roof in any position, the panel can also be taken off the roof and set in the sun so in hot weather you can park the van in the shade and put the panel in the sun. It is hardwired to the van on a 40' 10 gauge cord. Charge controller for the panel, and additional battery mounted under the rear engine lid on the engine carrier bars.

All the interior lights are LEDs, there are white lights for cooking/reading, and also strings of amber leds on both ends of the "living room" for "candle light", they actually make for a really nice atmosphere.

There is also a nice map light on the end of a flexible stalk mounted on the ceilling between the drivers and passengers seat, also works as a reading light when the passenger seat is spun around, you can see it in this pic, it also has an LED bulb, and you can see the amber LEDs in this pic too,

ECU based electronic Cruise control, works great!

It has a 300 watt inverter, enough to charge laptops and run a stick blender.

Totally awesome custom table Cool

Link

120 AMP OEM alternator to replace the stock 90 amp.

The Roof has a fresh paint job, Interlux non sanding primer, and 2 coats of interlux semi-gloss white fiberglass marine paint, and new seals for the pop-top and over cab piece of fiberglass roof.

Custom mounted soap pump for sink, it pivots out of the way to fit large pots in the sink as well,

Custom rear bumper with 2" receiver and custom swing away bike rack, holds 2 bikes,

Link

55 watt super bright reverse lights Cool (you can also see in this pic where the removal of a sticker pulled some paint off :-/ )

16" merc steel wheels, 6.5" wide, with Hakkapelitta CS on them, its an all season tire that also does quite well in snow, they have about 50% of their tread left. I also have wheel spacers from Loggy for a final ET of 30, just right. Thetaller wheels/tires gives the van about 1" more ground clearance and gears it up ~10% over stock tires/wheels. At some point the van had Carat springs installed (lowers it about 1.5") which is actually pretty nice as it makes it easier to climb in and out of.

Thule roof racks are included and already mounted on ARGs.

It comes fully stocked with pots pans, cutlery, plates, bowls, etc... Ready to camp, just add food and water.

I "removed" the "luggage bin" above the cab as it WRECKS aerodynamics, and makes wind noise. I made a form from 1/8" masonite and 2x2 and then fiberglassed over it, bondo, and paint, it looks pretty nice.

The transmission was just rebuilt ($2000), it has a taller 3rd and taller 4th, at 65MPH its spinning ~2750 RPM, just right really. New clutch slave cylinder as well and new rear main seal for the engine. New clutch as well and the flywheel was resurfaced by Kennedy along with a new ring gear.

65 MPH (gps verified) with no wind nets about 32-33 MPG, drafting off semis about 50-75 yards back gets you another 2 MPG or so.

At 55 MPH I get about 38 MPG, that is GPS speed and distance and filling the tank to the very top of the filler neck so there is no error in any of the figures.

The van also has Airlift air bag in the rear springs.

Here is a vid of a walk through of the van,

Link

The van does have a bit of rust, but certainly not a lot.

Just above the front bumper under the grill,

On the sliding door,

Some kitchen rust bubbles,

And a small hole at the bottom of the passenger side B-pillar,

The van was repainted at some point, an ok paint job, but there are a couple spots where the removal of a sticker pulled some paint off :-/

And the things it needs, the glow plugs do not work, there just isn't power/a relay set up for them, the van starts just fine down to 30* F, and will start down to 0* F, but it does blow some smoke when cranking at temps that low. We hardly ever drive it in the winter so its never mattered to us.

The tent has a couple tears, but they have been sewn and or patched with tape, one is about 12" and the other is about 6",

Also the heater blower quit a little while back, but as with any vanagon you get PLENTY of air flow through the heater core for the defroster/floor heat with even the smallest amount of forward motion, so...

Thats most of it, there more that has been done, but you all know how it is, hard to remember it all.

Oh, there is also a very large "ammo can" bolted up under the van under the sliding door for extra storage.

So, whats a fair price for it?

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-cooled van converted to a diesel needs paint and top redone lot of custom extras 9-13000$ off the top of my head with out seeing it in real live action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it!!!! You know you will regret it down the line...........
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's tough.
On one hand, you have a cosmetically poor, undesirable year van.
On the other hand, it seems to be mechanically well maintained with extras that very valuable and unique.
My completely uneducated guess, somewhere around 10k. Plus/minus based on the motor as my knowledge of diesels is limited to the 3 I have owned.
What's the Blue Book? Wink
volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not worth a damn thing just give it to me.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
Air-cooled van converted to a diesel needs paint and top redone lot of custom extras 9-13000$ off the top of my head with out seeing it in real live action.

The tent is really not bad, its been like that for 3 years, the first year I had it I spent ~150 nights in the van, but if it was painted it would certainly be worth getting a new tent too

woggs1 wrote:
Don't do it!!!! You know you will regret it down the line...........

Man, its a tough one, I know I'll miss it, but we currently have 4 vehicles, for 2 of us. The Westy is awesome for vacation, but I can't travel and work out of it as there just isn't enough space for all my tools and my clothes, and when my wife comes along theres really not enough space. We bought a sprinter to build a "House" into, but I need money to make that happen, quite a bit really, by the time I get windows, water heater, air heater, solar panel, batteries, water pump, etc... I need the sprinter regardless so the westy becomes kind of redundant.

The sprinter will have a westy stove/sink in it though so it won't be completely soul-less Laughing

buildyourown wrote:
That's tough.
On one hand, you have a cosmetically poor, undesirable year van.

I don't think I like your tone

Wink

You're spot on with that though, thats why I'm having a hard time figuring how much its worth, functionally its great, really comfortable to live in/vacation in, but apart from the roof, its not all that pretty.

Part of me really wants to paint it, and I even have the paint (that will go with the van) I just don't have time this spring to make it happen, and I don't want to wait till fall to sell it...

volkswagatron wrote:
not worth a damn thing just give it to me.....

Can I drive it out to you on my dime too? Laughing

Samba ad here.

volkswagatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure..lol Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Van really,

It might be easier to work backwards and figure what would it cost to bring it up to snuff and what would it then sell for.

I would bet you could get $13K to $15K if it was pimped out. Maybe a little more if you found the right buyer. And it looks like it might take $3K to $5K to get it there. So maybe $10K to $12K is a good range.

Question: might you be willing to post a separate post on your solar panel mounting system? It looks like what I want, removable and lockable, and it would be great to see the components you use to make it happen.

Thanks a bunch.
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24K as is. 38K all done. You might have to wait a while to sell it. During that time it should appreciate in value. You have to put value on the time you have invested as well as the parts. In the end it will only be worth what someone will pay you. But there is an A## for every seat. I can appreciate upgrading to the sprinter. That would be my choice if I decided to go that route. Good luck.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen 15K vans sell here in Oregon in a while. I'd devalue it too because of the body year and condition. It's a special market for the conversion which also eliminates a lot of buyers. I think you're actually in the 10k range for that van Idaho.

So you bought it from your friend you're going to sell it back too? Was the engine conversion already done? Take the original price and add in money for your extras you installed. That should give you an idea of price. I don't think you can't really put a price on your time invested and parts you add really are counted at half of what they cost. Maintenance time and money invested only holds the value, it doesn't add to the value.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I haven't seen 15K vans sell here in Oregon in a while. I'd devalue it too because of the body year and condition. It's a special market for the conversion which also eliminates a lot of buyers. I think you're actually in the under 10k range for that van Idaho.

That is really what I was thinking.

PDXWesty wrote:
So you bought it from your friend you're going to sell it back too? Was the engine conversion already done? Take the original price and add in money for your extras you installed. That should give you an idea of price. I don't think you can't really put a price on your time invested and parts you add really are counted at half of what they cost. Maintenance time and money invested only holds the value, it doesn't add to the value.

A different friend is probably buying it, or another one, but I'm not sure which one will actually come up with the money...

I know that I won't get any money for any of the time I have spent working on it, and probably won't all get the money back for the upgrade parts either, but as is the case for most all of us, we don't do this with the expectation of making money.

Samba ad here.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First X2 the above, then:

"It's worth what ever some one will pay for it."

Careful selling to "friends."

My rule is to NOT sell to "friends."

The only way to break that rule is to be VERY clear about things to friends.

1. It is a used car. It will break. I will do my best to help, but it is YOUR car and not mine after sold.

2. I am BRUTALLY honest to friends about the car in question. To a fault, actually. There can be NO ill feelings after the deal.

3. Friends get a SMOKING deal. Usually half of what it should be. MAKE THAT CLEAR.

4. Since it SUCH A DEAL (it hurts me) but it is going to a friend you must take the bad and good. Refer to rule 1.

Only if they clearly and repeatedly are OK with the the above points can the deal go through.

Lastly, you WILL lament the sale. I do, but I keep reminding myself of why I needed to sell.

Of the last 2 cars I sold, both were just sitting. Others have gone as gifts to relatives only after being well serviced (relatives are WORSE than friends.) Another was traded for the Westy (they got the better car and we got cash and the Westy - trust me, they got the better deal, but now A3 Jettas are woreless and my Westy is worth more in many ways!)

So in your case: Van is worth a good $10K. Sell it to a friend between $5K and $10K. You two must decide. Or as I do: split the middle and both are happy. $7500

OK?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orbitald wrote:

Question: might you be willing to post a separate post on your solar panel mounting system? It looks like what I want, removable and lockable, and it would be great to see the components you use to make it happen.

Here is an old thread I posted with more details,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3781376&highlight=solar+thule#3781376

There is not a lot to it, (but it sure was a lot of thinking to come up with the desgn LOL) a couple hinges and a couple spherical ball mounts, some 3/8" smooth rod, a couple thhule locking knobs and some nuts and bolts. The Thule knobs are far and away the most expensive part of the whole deal.

Samba ad here.

vanagon_fan_again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am in love, with your van.. lol.

It's imperfections make it even more appealing to me, that it can be used with out extreme worry of pampering it. It's not completely beautiful, but it is insanely functional. Very Happy

It'd kill me to have to part with such a van, and whoever gets it is going to be one lucky sob. I'm pretty new to the Vanagon scene but I'd say accept no less than 10k for it..
914 mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider what other vans are selling for out there in the price range that some here are suggesting. (I wish them well in there recovery from their crack habbits). Above the $10k range, why would they buy your van when there are so much nicer vans to be had....that have a better pedigree than your van has. I meen no disrespect.....you have a lot of nice things going for your van, but I dont think they will be reflected in the real world vanagon market...

My $ .02

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Westy for sale, could I start a thread? Would like to but I thought we couldn't. Clarification please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
I have a Westy for sale, could I start a thread? Would like to but I thought we couldn't. Clarification please.

You can ask opinions on what your van is worth. The OP already has a buyer though and is not listed in the classifieds. He just wanted our opinion.
EL31415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be the wake up call
and post the "not dreaming" price no more than $ 5,000.00 ( you can double that if you some cosmetic works)

base price +/- $ 3,000 .00
all the add on +/- $ 3,000.00

P.S. I'm cheap and very patient
EL31415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:

The poster is not advertising it for sale, asking price advise.
and also listing all the add on that can give idea to other westy owner on upgrading theirs. this post is very informative , as it gives me many new ideas
912owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
The sprinter will have a westy stove/sink in it though so it won't be completely soul-less Laughing

Kinda like this?
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8224

Sorry for the high jack...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: