Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Conversion Kit Which one to Buy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
criddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Bostig Conversion Kit Which one to Buy Reply with quote

I have an 85 Manual Westfalia Camper GL with the 1.9L and Steel coolant lines.
Has any one bought the Bostig Conversion Kit for this van and if so which kit is the correct fit? They list two choices for the Manual vans 83-84 manual and an 85-91 manual. I believe some time in late 85 is when they switched to the plastic coolant lines and was thinking my kit would be with the83-84 kit.

Thanks
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Jim at Bostig.
criddle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Bostig Conversion Reply with quote

Jim suggested posting this question to find out.

Thanks
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversion Kit Which one to Buy Reply with quote

I think the important part is the existing wiring in the engine wiring box. If you have only 1 set of the round 7 pin connectors in there that is 83/84 type. If you have 2 sets that makes it 85+ and you would want their kit with the plug and play 7 pin engine harness.

Yes, the early 85 wbx used the same long cooling pipes as the 83/84. I'm not sure why this makes any real difference to the kit since the kit does not include the hoses to connect to these pipes anyway. You order hoses from elsewhere from their list of needed parts.

Mark

criddle wrote:
Has any one bought the Bostig Conversion Kit for this van and if so which kit is the correct fit? They list two choices for the Manual vans 83-84 manual and an 85-91 manual. I believe some time in late 85 is when they switched to the plastic coolant lines and was thinking my kit would be with the83-84 kit.

Thanks
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversion Reply with quote

criddle wrote:
Jim suggested posting this question to find out.

Thanks

oh.. Sorry.
Two thoughts..... One is that the wiring has changed with the newer kits. There is no wire splicing required. And I remember the kit came with the lines to the plastic lines being alittle to long so you could cut for a proper fit.
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig Conversion Kit Which one to Buy Reply with quote

criddle wrote:

Thanks

What you're after is an answer to what year cooling lines are a closest to your steel lines. The year range splits as far as the kit from us is for the plug and play wiring harness, you need to know which lines are closer so you pick up the right molded coolant hoses from rockauto.

Brady just answered it though, and said the steel lines end up near the firewall and are closest to the 83-84 lines, so you'll source those as part of the SK-C off the shelf parts.

Jim Akiba
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 85 have plastic pipe, those have the later (same as 86+) van diameter of 1 1/2in but the length of the 83-84.

83.5 - 85.25 have the metal pipe of 1 1/4in.

The junction box connector of the 85 is the same as latter one (86-92)

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: