Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what's your ideal replacement engine?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpwilkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: what's your ideal replacement engine? Reply with quote

I've got a '91 multivan with an original engine 110k miles), running strong. We're on our way back from a trip from our home in Michigan to Nevada and Utah, packing 3 kids, a dog and requisite gear. It was generally wonderful except for a few hours of 45mph into strong winds in N. Texas and 25mph over a couple of passes in the Rockies. Natch and to be expected. I've been thinking about saving up for a replacement engine, though--a long term project. Candidates I've considered are turbo-diesel, Subaru and Zetec. I'd love to hear thoughts on this. Would love better power, reliability, fuel efficiency and durability, pretty much in that order.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

110k miles and running strong. How do you get more reliable and durable than that?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=514460

Chris will hook you up. May be a bit of a wait but worth it. I will buy one of his engines when it is time! Wink [/url]
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see cost as one of your concerns. I think all things considered the Bostig would be your best bet. You'll get three out of four with that one.
A close second would be the diesel. Which might be right up your alley. That would cost more to begin with and the footwork needed to put together a diesel conversion is alot more than with a kit. But you say you don't mind a long term project.
But if it ain't broke don't fix it.
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a crate Zetec in my garage waiting for install funds. Tencentlife does some fine work too.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

given your order of priorities, check out the 1.8T conversion.
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting this bad boy in this weekend and then some. Its a new block 1.9l NA Diesel. Woot!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25mph over a couple of passes in the Rockies

I had the cruse control on going through the Rockies.
Audi TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dream engine would be some form of german flat six, but my budget won't allow.
so I'll probably get a zetec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbclayton
Samba Member

Location: A place where owning a VW and enjoying life are synonymous

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down, a tencentlife engine, built according to your altitude, where and how you drive. Chris is like the Grand Zen Master of the Waterboxer engine discipline. JP, I think you owe it to yourself to find out just how good these little beasts of burden can be when the engines are built right!

Enlightenment came when I realized that any time in my life I was having fun, it was somehow connected with owning a Volkswagen.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: what's your ideal replacement engine? Reply with quote

Ack-k-k ... not another subie/zetec/tdi/wbxer thread !!! Shocked
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motelvw wrote:
I've got a crate Zetec in my garage waiting for install funds. Tencentlife does some fine work too.

100% agree.

My crate Zetec wrapped up in plastic, sitting in the garage.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbclayton wrote:
Hands down, a tencentlife engine, built according to your altitude, where and how you drive. Chris is like the Grand Zen Master of the Waterboxer engine discipline. JP, I think you owe it to yourself to find out just how good these little beasts of burden can be when the engines are built right!
Do you have one of 10cents engines?
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
given your order of priorities, check out the 1.8T conversion.

I second that. This is the most powerful option out there. This motor runs very smooth and quite. I thaught about a Porsche but when you consider this engine produces about the same power for a fraction of the cost it made the choice a no brainer.I just drove to San Fransisco and back in mine. It was a blast. I averaged 65-70+ the entire drive includeing grades i never down shifted once.
I would suggest driveing all the opitons out there. No need in spending big bucks on an engine conversion only to be let down with power.These vans need a minumium of 200hp to move nicely(in my opinion). I get better gas mileage and i have almost tripple the original power. These motors with bolt on will dependably make over 300+hp with a usable power band. When i drove Stefans van i was sold. Please drive a few conversions before you make up yer mind.
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stock DJ.. on twin dells
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Question:
-What do you mean by ideal?
-What does saving up mean?

Quote:
It was generally wonderful except for a few hours of 45mph into strong winds in N. Texas and 25mph over a couple of passes in the Rockies. Natch and to be expected.

That sound pretty decent and normal to me! What do you expect with a fully loaded van and 90hp Smile

Interesting question:
-power: Subi 2.5L - VW 1.8T ( I like the 1.8-2.0T, but not as common as other conversion )
-reliability: All are reliable if well put together/converted.
-fuel efficiency: VW Diesel
-durability: No one know, the only long therm conversion out there is the Subi 2,2L, being one hell of a reliable engine.

I have been in the engine business for a long time, i often thought that Honda and Toyota had the best reliable engine (Japanese one), now, i think that that 2.2L is probably one of the best 4cyl engine ever made, most country included. Sadly, they are getting old.

I also agree on the ZTEC engine, it seem like a pretty reliable engine, and cheap on top, it's the cheapest conversion out there with the newest engine. If your a DIY, an old re-sealed Subi 2.2L is an option.

In général, diesel conversion can be expensive.

Your not talking about staying stock, if yes, go with Chris, period.

You don't know me but all I do lately are Subi 2.5L conversion, if you have questions on those you can p-mail me.
You can check this page to see pictures of over 35 van done (10 to come):
http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm

Cheers, Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience over the course of owning several vans that the engine itself is not necessarily the weak point in the reliability part of the "ideal van" formula. My personal wasserboxer hell was generally caused by aging electronics and fuel injection components. After 20+ years of service, even well built parts simply wear out.

There are several WBX builders out there who undoubtedly make great engines, but replacing the engine alone without replacing most or all of the peripheral controls will often do little to improve reliability and overall peace of mind.

I researched all of the various options for about a year before I decided to go the Bostig route in my '85 Westy. The completeness of the Bostig kit, the 100% new wiring harness and the fact that the Zetec has a simple OBDII user interface were all big factors in my decision. The worldwide, (affordable) availability of parts is unmatched with any other conversion currently on the market.

The current version of the Bostig v2.0 kit is designed to be installed by the novice mechanic. The quality of the install components and the support are top notch, and the Zetec 2.0L engine itself has a bulletproof reputation. Given all of these points, I would say that makes the most "ideal replacement engine".

Jay Brown
'85 Zetec Westy
'87 Zetec Wolfsburg
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed A TDI in my 89, Its an amazingly powerful motor but isn't the easiest swap by far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2gxvoTRQO4

Last edited by outwesty on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt bostig 5k+? your ground clearance is not good there
I like the planet too much to drive a diesel. they still stink, they will always stink. its pretty hypocritical to drive around with your ac on and blast diesel at the poor schmuck next to you, right in his open window.
any time you need to tilt an engine so it can fit is a bad start. and the wbxr is a waste of money. have they redesigned the seals for that yet?
I installed a 2.2 subaru. 19.5 mpg, race or putt, with the low oe gears.
I'm saving up for a r/p.
the 2.5 subaru is the best so far with the multiple layer sheet steel headgasket [aftermarket]. for the trouble, I wish I had put one in for the power difference. +80horses. you can install one with a kit for 3500 or so. I paid 600 for my donor car runnung with no codes.
then there is the ez3od, a flat 6 subaru 2001 to 2004 212 hp that fits nicely back there. you can buy a jdm engine for 1600.00+ and add the kit, etc. that engine shares the dependability of the 2.2/2.5 but is harder to find. you do need 200 horses to feel normal with vanagons.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/643073.jpg

todd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
isnt bostig 5k+? your ground clearance is not good there
I like the planet too much to drive a diesel. they still stink, they will always stink. its pretty hypocritical to drive around with your ac on and blast diesel at the poor schmuck next to you, right in his open window.
any time you need to tilt an engine so it can fit is a bad start.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: