Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggested Battery for Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
...It had a date on it for 7/21 making it one year old already, so I didn't buy it...

I'm under the impression that stores (esp the FLAPS) routinely 'update' those stickers when they recharge batteries in stock. So the sticker may or may not indicate a date of manufacture.
siolence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

I got 10 years out of the Budget Battery I have in my 84 tin top. Just checked Costco here in Bend and they have the Interstate T5 for $110. Seems like a good deal considering prices of things these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Seems like T5 is the way to go battery-wise these days. Anyone have any experience with the TotalPro brand?

Seems like Autozones latest budget brand:

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-ch...lsrc=aw.ds
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

So just for the sake of confirming, a T5 will fit in a westy and allow the cover to fit on without a problem, correct?

My 10-year-to the month old Group 41 is about to go tits up so before it does I want to make sure a T5 fits ok...it looks like it will but just wanted to check

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
So just for the sake of confirming, a T5 will fit in a westy and allow the cover to fit on without a problem, correct?

Correct. I've got a relatively new T5 currently in the battery box, which replaced the 5-year-old T5 I originally installed in 2018. Plenty of room in there, horizontally and vertically.

Old one (didn't bother with pics of the new one):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just be sure, as with any battery, to insulate the + post.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

^^^

Thanks for the confirmation...I was actually going off of your post but didn't know if you were able to get the cover back on or not.

I will be ordering a T5 in the morning. Thank you!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

T6 fits in there just the same. Also more CCA's.... just saying...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

So it seems even the T6 is shorter than the stock size. (41):

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mt-91/t6

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:

I saw your post, but will it fit with the westy crap? looks like yours is a passenger van and not all boxed in like a westy

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Yes skills mine is a 7 passenger, but I think the dimensions are same as the T5. I'd have to check, but it's definitely shorter than the 41, with the width and height the same.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

The T6 is 36mm longer than the T5 and 15mm shorter than a Group 41. All three are 175mm tall and 175mm wide.

jimf909 wrote:
This table shows equivalencies between BCI (Battery Council International, Chicago, USA based: Group 41, etc.) and DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung...German Standards:T65, H5, etc.). If Group 41 is the max size that fits, you're looking for something smaller than 293mm x 175 mm x 175 mm.

BCI's website (mostly for fun)...
https://batterycouncil.org/page/ABOUTUS

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

FYI all - just had to order a GRP 41 from NAPA for my '86 westy. Imagine my joy when I found out it wouldn't fit Crying or Very sad Miserable thing had "wings" for lack of a better description on each end. And no handle of course Evil or Very Mad Had to hack saw the wings off to make it fit, but still tight, and still > than the BCI listed dimension.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
FYI all - just had to order a GRP 41 from NAPA for my '86 westy. Imagine my joy when I found out it wouldn't fit Crying or Very sad Miserable thing had "wings" for lack of a better description on each end. And no handle of course Evil or Very Mad Had to hack saw the wings off to make it fit, but still tight, and still > than the BCI listed dimension.

I've wondered how precise those dimensions are in that table. Someone else posted here about having to grind flanges off of a Group 41 battery to make it fit.

Did you install the battery with a strap around it to ease removal in the future? Heck, an skinny old belt would work.

jalan wrote:
Do you ever want to remove your battery only to realize you don't have one of those handy battery straps that picks it out of that tight battery box on your Vanagon? Sure a couple of pair of vise grips on the terminals work,

OR try putting one of these simple straps around your battery the next time you have it out.
I made a couple from some 1" wide webbing I had sitting around.

Or buy one of these to assist?

Regardless, all batteries should be made with handles.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
from NAPA...

So a T5 and T6 from napa were about the same price (my cost) which was an eyewatering 175 bux and the T6 had 700 cca vs 600 cca of the T5

2 year warranty, after that you're on your own.

Got one from Worldpac (their house brand) a T5 with 650 cca.... so no idea but it was still an eyewatering 127 bux

I'm not cheap...but fuck me...I remember not all that long ago a battery (my cost) was 80-95 bux max and lasted an honest 8 years

Anyway...it is what it is

I still stand by buying the biggest cheapest battery that will fit (unless you have something exotic that is on the CAN BUS) because everything is junk now

And this is coming from a dyed in the wool interstate guy....who lost faith in them about 12 years ago when I handed the guy a battery and the one he handed me was noticeably lighter. I called him on it and he just smiled....

nope...we're done....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

I'll say those prices are better than what is available in my area. When I lived in Colorado, I would buy my group 41 battery from Walmart, with a 2 year replacement deal, and just before that was up, I'd go back in with the receipt and get a free new battery with no questions asked. Granted, I lived in a small, touristy town where most of the locals knew each other and helped each other out how ever we could.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
khughes wrote:
FYI all - just had to order a GRP 41 from NAPA for my '86 westy. Imagine my joy when I found out it wouldn't fit Crying or Very sad Miserable thing had "wings" for lack of a better description on each end. And no handle of course Evil or Very Mad Had to hack saw the wings off to make it fit...

Someone else posted here about having to grind flanges off of a Group 41 battery to make it fit.

Why struggle with a 41 when smaller, equivalent-CCA batteries are available? No offense to y'all, but I don't get it. Neutral

Got one from Worldpac (their house brand) a T5 with 650 cca.... so no idea but it was still an eyewatering 127 bux

$127 is a bargain today. If you think car batteries are expensive, you haven't seen deep cycle marine batteries. Brick wall

GreggK wrote:
When I lived in Colorado, I would buy my group 41 battery from Walmart, with a 2 year replacement deal, and just before that was up, I'd go back in with the receipt and get a free new battery with no questions asked.

My T5 EverStart failed to start the van last year, but new jump-pack fired it right up. Took said 5-year-old T5 to WalMart to get a new one. Despite being well beyond its 3-year warranty, the counter guy's tester showed it being good. I told him that the voltage when I removed it was 12.3; his tester showed something like 12.7. The tester also showed the CCA was below 600. No matter; battery tested good and wouldn't accept it. Rolling Eyes So, it's sitting in my garage, being used to test electrical devices because I haven't bothered to attempt a core return... yet.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
khughes wrote:
FYI all - just had to order a GRP 41 from NAPA for my '86 westy. Imagine my joy when I found out it wouldn't fit Crying or Very sad Miserable thing had "wings" for lack of a better description on each end. And no handle of course Evil or Very Mad Had to hack saw the wings off to make it fit...

Someone else posted here about having to grind flanges off of a Group 41 battery to make it fit.

Why struggle with a 41 when smaller, equivalent-CCA batteries are available? No offense to y'all, but I don't get it. Neutral

This is the first time I've "struggled" with a Grp 41. The pics on the NAPA site don't show the stupid wings on it either.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:

I saw your post, but will it fit with the westy crap? looks like yours is a passenger van and not all boxed in like a westy

If the hinge is as new then No!!!.

If the hinge /battery cover has been mangled then it's ugly

( but it could be possible to fit a spacer between the hinge and the lip and it would look ok)

If there is no hinged cover then yes .

On a westy you can get away with it , the hinge has often been unscrewed then it is hinging just on the carpet which is baggy at the pivoting point and then it will kind of fit but you will need to fit a rubber patch over the battery terminal and push down on the cover at first if you want to rotate the seat.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
2 year warranty, after that you're on your own.

Quote:
I would buy my group 41 battery from Walmart, with a 2 year replacement deal, and just before that was up, I'd go back in with the receipt and get a free new battery with no questions asked.

Quote:
Took said 5-year-old T5 to WalMart to get a new one. Despite being well beyond its 3-year warranty, the counter guy's tester showed it being good. I told him that the voltage when I removed it was 12.3; his tester showed something like 12.7. The tester also showed the CCA was below 600. No matter; battery tested good and wouldn't accept it. Rolling Eyes

Warranties are getting shorter and enforcement is getting tougher. When I retuned a T5 to Walmart last year the battery proved to be weak but they were balking at replacement because it was not the original equipment size. The manager got involved, saw that they didn't offer a Group 41 and approved the warranty exchange (on a pro-rated amount).

Analysts at corporate have looked at warranty replacement costs and return policies are being revised to bring those costs down which means shorter warranty periods, elimination of pro-rated periods and stricter enforcement.

This means we need to be better about maintenance when the batteries aren't being used.

Abscate wrote:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

I'm not cheap...but fuck me...I remember not all that long ago a battery (my cost) was 80-95 bux max and lasted an honest 8 years

Hey, 1994 was 30 years ago, FYI. Razz

I recently put an Odyssey AGM in one of my e30s and paid over $300. That sucked, but my experience with AGM batteries has been 10 years of life. I'm done with Interstate lead acid batteries lasting 4 years and still paying $200 for them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: