Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 weber conversion kit?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshaddvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: 914 weber conversion kit? Reply with quote

i am wondering if anybody could reccomend a place to buy just the kit. i do not need the carbs. i have them already. i just need the linkage and intakes etc. i have a 2.0L and want to put dual weber 44's on it. any help is appreciated.
ecdez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with CB Performance. I got a kit from them and it was pretty nice. Not a bad price either.
Type 4 - '74 412
jshaddvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now i have another question. i have a stock 2.0L in my 914 is weber 44 idf the rights carbs to put on this engine. now that i have been reading i am confused as to weather or not i should even use these carbs. i am not looking for anything special as far as performance. i am just looking to give my car some decent power with reliability. any suggestions are welcome. thanks
ecdez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with 44's. You may want to pull the venturis out to see what size they are. Once that is known you can change them to better fit your needs or leave them. I'd check the jets too to see what size they are, they may need changed too. The carbs will probably run as is, but would most likely run better and more effecient if they are tuned to your particular engine.

As long as they are in good condition, I'd run them. But I would tune them first. Don't want it runnig too lean or rich. It's not too difficult but can be time consuming. It is rewarding when you are done though.

The chart below give a baseline for the venturis.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 4 - '74 412
jshaddvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so everything has been ordered to convert my 914 to dual 44s. im pretty excited! i am in iraq dployed at the moment so my father and brother are going to install everything for me so when i get back it should be all ready to go. i do have one question as far as jetting the carbs. i do not know what jet sizes are in the carbs i have and am wondering if anybody could give me some info on which sizes to use for a good stock setup. i am not really looking to get a bunch of performance out of these carbs just reliability so i can drive my car regularly and have some fun with it. thanks so much for the info in advance.
ecdez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to want to read this.

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/jetting.htm
Type 4 - '74 412
jshaddvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info
Chris Walden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering about cooler weather (30, 40 degrees F) driveability with these things given their absence of chokes or pre heaters.

Chrismo
buhs914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well these cars have a thermostat that regulates the position of the flaps in the fan housing. So until the engine is warmed up the flaps remain closed. Once they open the air is allowed to fully flow. They run just fine in temperatures well below those you have stated.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 914 weber conversion kit? Reply with quote

I have a 1974 914-4 (1.8 liter) with custom exhaust system on it, that has been converted (by previous owner) to a dual Weber 40mm IDF system. I just got it recently and my previous 914s (one 6 and four 4s) all still had the original FI systems on them, so I'm a bit 'out of my comfort zone', so to speak, as my learning curve steepens considerably.

My carbs lack the cold-start/choke system, having been disarmed, and therein lies my confusion. I have been having what seems like inordinate difficulty starting up the car's engine. But, lacking a choke/cold-start component, perhaps I am interacting incorrectly with the carbs.

When I got the car (from a person I later found out knew absolutely nothing about Porsches/air-cooled engined cars...especially ones with a carb conversion set-up), I recall he had remarked "Yeah, I had some starting problem too, but I just gave it some extra 'pumps' (of the accelerator) and it eventually started."

[That technique (which would perhaps work on a Bug with a single SOLEX PICT34-3 carb) definitely gets me nowhere and I strongly suspect that giving the accelerator ANY pumps at all will simply flood the carbs (thereby impeding and prolonging the cold-starting process). ]

Finally, after endless starter-cranking efforts, I have let the car 'rest' for a few minutes only to find that it finally began to want to cooperate by starting-up.

For someone used to 914 FI systems (and VW PICT34-3 carb set-ups), this is both sorely confusing and mightily puzzling.

[BTW, a knowledgeable friend told me that he doesn't particularly care for Weber dual IDF set-ups because "While they're great for competition, they're not so great for a 'daily driver car'", which is what I want and need on my occasional jaunts from home-base.]

As for whether to go with a Weber/Dellorto dual carb set-up or not is not a question I cannot shed any real light on (given my own current struggles with getting my 914's dual-Webers starting up smoothly, without a cold-start circuit), unfortunately, but if anyone is channeling this thread who has some useful insights for me to share the mysteries of how to get chokeless Webers to start more easily, I'd appreciate a nod!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 914 weber conversion kit? Reply with quote

As is seemingly becoming my custom, here, I find myself 'answering' some questions I had posed initially, regarding the 914. In this case, the difficulties I seemed to be having starting my Weber 40mm IDF carb conversion '74 914-4. As mentioned earlier, the recently purchased car was sold to me by a person who had no knowledge whatsoever of air-cooled (Porsche) cars and I, as someone who has always had FI 914s, had absolutely no experience with 914 Weber/Dellorto carb-converions.

He mentioned that he had had some difficulties starting the car but said that that "...it can be started with seven or eight pumps on the accelerator." Not knowing any better myself, I followed his advice and had similar balky starting experiences with the car.

Long story short, in exasperation I turned to the Microsoft BING's AI and posed the question "How do you properly start a Porsche 914-4 with a dual-Weber 40 IDF carb conversion that doesn't have a choke or cold-start component?"

I was thunder-struck when I read the AI-suggested starting procedure, which is more-or-less as follows:

1) Switch the ignition switch to 'ON', to activate the fuel pump.

2) Give the accelerator a GENTLE touch to set the throttle.

3) Switch the ignition to 'START.' The car should start up normally.

Lo and behold, the car started more or less normally! HOLY CRAP! I was impressed (both by the fact that I had been flooding the carbs with all my pumping and by AI's quickly resolving this issue for me).

Just part of the learning curve that carb-conversion 914 owners have to undergo, when switching from the 'easy' OEM FI system, I guess. This tells me that there are more things (borrowing Hamlet's famous Shakespearean soliloquy to Horatio) in the Porsche 914 trick-book than in all your philosophies... WHODA THUNKIT?! Embarassed

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 914 weber conversion kit? Reply with quote

jshaddvw wrote:
i am wondering if anybody could reccomend a place to buy just the kit. i do not need the carbs. i have them already. i just need the linkage and intakes etc. i have a 2.0L and want to put dual weber 44's on it. any help is appreciated.

Weber is out of the stands for the cross bar linkage, but as stated, EMPI has the stuff and we have it in stock
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: