Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage. Reply with quote

How do you shower when you go camping and such? We have always used a shower bottle hung from a tree (heavy to hoist). We would also hang shower enclosure thing from the tree as well. The enclosure had to be blown up and the water had to be dragged around and hoisted high enough for me 6'3 to enjoy. So, we decided to remedy the heavy bottle hoisting and add some real estate to our van in the process.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Add a small plastic crate to stand on so your feet stay clean and the water drains.

We leave this up for the entire stay and add a mosquito net on the hatch opening to keep the bugs out. Sleeping with the hatch open= star gazing through the glass, fresh air etc..

Does anyone else have a setup similar to this? How do you shower?
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: shower Reply with quote

Nice idea and well executed plan. I however try to keep it simple. I use a Zodi propane shower wear a swimsuit, and keep my feet in buckets. Or stand on a elevated hard surface and let the water flow away from me. Since I mostly camp alone, this works well.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar set-up but simpler. I put velcro sections around the outer flange of the open hatch and matching velcro on a tarp that wraps around the hatch. Put a solar shower bag up on top. Put a vinyl pad under my feet. I find this better than the lame and nasty shower stalls at most campgrounds and state parks, and even in better than most cramped shower stalls in large RVs.. After a hard day on the trail, cycling, or whatever, a warm shower feels great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you shower in the wilds? Gain some square footage Reply with quote

Great set-up.

I've used the rear hatch before with the gravity water bag, swinsuit and wood grate to stand on or wear flip-flops. But usually I do the GI bath - washrag aka sponge bath until I come across the next shower facilities.

I've noticed at group campouts for three or four days people usually just 'john wayne' it until they get home Wink A little ripe but ....
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we bought the Zodi from Costco for $99 and a shower/utility room from Wally World for $40. bought them last year,yet to use either for showering though. the Zodi works great for heating water and the utility room is,well just that. it works for the shower,the latrine ,changing room. see how happy Mrs. Wayne is with it!

RCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just bought a solar shower from Cabellas here in Reno. Works well as a complete shower set up and can be placed away from the van in the best shade or discrete location. I did take a look at the wallyworld version, but I didn't like the quality.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/produc...hasJS=true
SpudlyHotPotato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: cute Reply with quote

What a lovely Westy you have - I like your color coordinating, too.

I haven't set this up yet, but we do have a solar shower we stow on top of the front seats on the road. I have read about folks who discovered rare earth magnets and it seems like a really clever idea to use for all sorts of applications in the Westy.

I was thinking of getting some shower curtains and sewing (epoxy glue would also work) some rare earth magnets into the top edge of the shower curtains. I figured then they would attach to the popped rear hatch just snap-snap-snap all the way around, on the exposed metal. And then there's no more stuff to store.

Then the next question was where to hang the solar shower. I saw someone here who made some lamp hangers out of PVC pipe which attach onto the rain gutters on the side of the Westy. I wondered if maybe we could make this and if it would hold enough weight to handle the full solar shower ... if not, then I'll have to find a new solution for that, or else do like you did and fashion a longer hose for it.

As for how to stay out of the mud, I'd probably just bring some Crocs slip-ons or maybe Keens. Afterwards, just drop the shoes off your feet where they can dry off a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we take the kid to the beach, I put a solar shower in the luggage rack over head, held in place with a bungee net.

After 3 hours, nice and hot. Shower the kid, clean my feet, etc.

We just open the door and shower by the passenger side. It's paved, so no need to stand on anything really. For camping we use the same set up, but you really have to stand on/in something. We make up that last part as we go. I've never seen anything I liked and would happily carry to stand on. Suggestions anyone?

B.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> When we take the kid to the beach, I put a solar shower in the luggage rack over head, held in place with a bungee net.

me too!

when it is too cold for a solar shower to work, I use this 2.5 gallon Jug. The hose is used to connect to a hot water faucet at a gas station bathroom. With the jug wrapped in a towel, the water stays hot enough for about 4 hours

the bunji net is sold at Wally World as a motorcycle helmet tie down..

I tried this bag shower, very weak flow, leaks if left on the roof full of water, so hard to get a hot shower, not recommended

tried this pump sprayer, but it does not get as hot in the sun as a bag shower.. and is bulky, not recommended

as far as shower curtains, I dont use one, I just wear a swimsuit

I like the ideas that use a shower curtain around the rear hatch, but, I dont understand if you also have a curtain blocking the shower water from getting into the van.. seems like a lot of messing around to carry shower curtains.

But, everyone uses their van differently. For example, I NEVER park my Van in one spot for days at a time. It is my daily driver, and even when I camp, I move every day. I mostly use the Van to go surfing and skiing, I never rent campsites, if I sleep in the van, its a stealth event.

As far as what to stand on, I stand in a plastic dish washing tub, which also holds my wet wetsuit..

And to the OP, you are very attractive, but you dont look 6'3" in the photo <g>. And, is that some kind of shower curtain lubricant in the bottle youre holding?Smile (This assumes the OP is a woman, since thats what the photo shows.. I know, the OP is a guy, just having some fun.)
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider even more simplicity, with this old backpacker's trick.

Get a 2 liter pop bottle.
Drill a few small holes in the lid.
Fill with hot water, from a solar source or heated on a stove.
Squeeze hot water onto your smelly body.
This works well as you can direct a stream of water to the ripest areas.

If I were living in the van for weeks on end I might try something fancier, but for occasional weekend camping this works well for me.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> And, is that some kind of shower curtain lubricant in the bottle youre holding?Smile

I was going to comment on the fifth of bourbon as well... Laughing

I also use a solar shower in the luggage rack, works great for dishes and for a refreshing hand/face wash. I don't bungy it in though, it's quite heavy and doesn't budge even on very rough logging roads.

We usually aren't in need of showers in the 2-3days we are out.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the "Pendleton Curtain Lubricant". They sell this at liquor stores for some reason. It is great for a lot of things. Very Happy
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010

Last edited by VanWilder on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
Ah yes the "Pendleton Curtain Lubricant". They sell this at liquor stores for some reason. It is great for a lot of things. Very Happy

I was corrected, it was "Buffalo Trace".
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my version of the open rear hatch shower area, you can see the solar shower bag up on top near the hinge side...

Here it is closed up...

I run a long clear tube (with the shower fitting on the end) down an opening at the top and into the shower area. I have a 3' x 3' matt to stand on.

The green tarp folds up to fit in a cubby the rear closet with the empty solar shower bag. Matt slips under the carpet in the main gally area. Easy, fast, simple, cheap. If no sun then we heat the water on the stove and fill the solar shower bag.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm your pictures,, they are,, ... Very Happy
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creek, river, or lake.
If none are available or it's too cold, a pot of hot water and wash cloth can get you by for quite awhile.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
Creek, river, or lake.
If none are available or it's too cold, a pot of hot water and wash cloth can get you by for quite awhile.

And your name is "buildyourown"? Laughing
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since vanagons have similar pop top arrangements as later bays, this thread may provide some helpful information:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301904
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
Creek, river, or lake.

x2. That's all part of enjoying nature! Very Happy

The previous owners of my van included that Zodi hot-shower thing. Might take it along on an adventure someday, but for now I prefer taking as little stuff as possible.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the guys who have shower curtains, have girlfriends.

and the guys who don't, don't.

I'd buy a shower curtain, or shower hut, in a heartbeat, if it came with one of the pictured models <g>

When Im by myself, I dont pay for campgrounds.

If I dont have a warm shower available, I use rubbing alcohol and a paper towel ...

otoh, If I'm camping with a woman, I pay for a campground, which comes with a shower and toilet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: