Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Foot Heater Cable Installation
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Rear Foot Heater Cable Installation Reply with quote

My old cable was broken, so i decided I would replace it... when i pulled the old one out, it came out fine, but installing the new one is a problem.

I know the longer cable goes in the lower guide tube, but I can push the cable all the way in until I almost lose it and the ends are not coming out of the tubes on the floor pans.

I have taken off the plate to access the shifter area under the back seat and can see the tubes that the wire is going through. The tubes are solid and the wire is not coming out of it anywhere... so where is the wire actually going!!!!!!

I have a long piece of mechanics wire that i put through the tube and it does come out the other end.

Any idea's on how to get my new heater cable through?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harryset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the guide tubes welded to the floor pans on each side? Maybe the wire isn't long enough to exit the long side, battery side, and exit that tube.

185 60's up front, Empi disc kit, 2 1/2" drop spindles, 185 65's in back, stock drums.

Sound Deadening by Secondskin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you have them in the correct hole? I thought I had mine in the right hole the first time I put them in but quickly discovered that I had somehow managed to get both of them in the same tube. After that I got them in with just a few issues in getting them to make the bend in the tube. Just gotta get them connected now. Did you order new connectors and if so where did you find them? Mine are siezed and beyond use and have had no luck finding another set as of yet.

Another thought. Try running the mechanics wire through and when it exits, measure the length, then compare to the new cable to be sure it is long enough to work. You migh have gotten a bum cable. Mine actually are WAY too long and definitely have to be cut down.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured my cable with my old one and it is way too short! Guess that is why nothing is coming out the other end haha! Anyways no I can't find any connectors either. I will let u know though if I do! Thanks for the help! I have ordered a new cable, hopefully it will be the right size this time!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryset wrote:
Do you still have the guide tubes welded to the floor pans on each side? Maybe the wire isn't long enough to exit the long side, battery side, and exit that tube.

Yes the guide tubes are still welded to the floor.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed some cables on a old speedster , they told me it was going to be hard , so with that in mind what I did is got some welding wire and tiedit on the end so when I pull the wire out the other end I would have something that would lead the wire back as I put it on , after a few trys it went through succsesfuly ,.... just my 2cents
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: