Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Pull out the starter bolt, and maybe just pull the whole starter (one long bolt and one big nut, plus disconnect the battery and then the two wires), and wiggle the starter out towards the front.

We understand now.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Here's my '70 Bug. Purchased engineless with no engine (HMU if you have a 1600DP), lots of old wiring and hoses. In the process of getting her road worthy. Paint is of the cheap auto zone variety, but I actually like it. Obviously needs more, but that comes later.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

zgomo wrote:
Here's my '70 Bug. Purchased engineless with no engine (HMU if you have a 1600DP), lots of old wiring and hoses. In the process of getting her road worthy. Paint is of the cheap auto zone variety, but I actually like it. Obviously needs more, but that comes later.

Looks like a later than 1970 body.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:

Yes, later than 1970, has vents just behind the quarter windows.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
eeastonwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

your garage is waaaay to clean for me. if i lived there, i’d have crap all over the place. organized, but all over the place. well, some folks might call it messy, i suppose. Rolling Eyes
i agree with you about the color: price be damned, it looks good!
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

eeastonwest wrote:
your garage is waaaay to clean for me. if i lived there, i’d have crap all over the place. organized, but all over the place. well, some folks might call it messy, i suppose. Rolling Eyes
i agree with you about the color: price be damned, it looks good!

Haha thanks.. Just moved into this place, so the garage is an unorganized clean still. It'll get progressively messier as I work on the car though haha.
zgomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
baz76 wrote:

Ohhh boy. Well that's good to know.. What year do you think it is if you had to guess? This will be a lot more "fun" than I thought..
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

zgomo wrote:
Cusser wrote:
baz76 wrote:

Ohhh boy. Well that's good to know.. What year do you think it is if you had to guess? This will be a lot more "fun" than I thought..

Hard to tell from the pics, rear window got bigger for 1972, that may be a clue.
Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Little bit of change over the past 52 years.

Master slacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Zebedee wrote:

I like the way it sits. What drop do you have in the front and back? What tire sizes do you have in the front and back?
Zebedee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Master slacker wrote:
Zebedee wrote:

I like the way it sits. What drop do you have in the front and back? What tire sizes do you have in the front and back?

She's running 185/65/15 all round.
That picture was taken for the agreed value insurance. A few days later the tyre on the left front wheel touched the edge of the repro wing and burned the paint off it so it was raised a couple of teeth on the adjusters. She's now at the highest setting available on the puma beam.
Rear was around a 1 outer spline down but it'd sagged a little too much as the tow hitch was hitting the road so i recently raised it back up to stockish height.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Anyone here own their 1970 for 49.5 years, or am I the winner????

On its 50th birthday

daveswoodcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Anyone here own their 1970 for 49.5 years, or am I the winner????

On its 50th birthday

You are the winner as far as I am concerned. I have only had my 70 for 3 years.

eeastonwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

what are these numbers about? they’re on both heater boxes on my 1970 beetle convertible. thanks.

J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

70 Beetle Family!
I am getting my pans and luggage tray replaced this winter... plus a few odds and ends... (Key wiring, Shift coupler and shift rod bushing...)

I'd love to see anyone with a 70 on Wide 5 BRM's, and hear how you lowered it.
I'm all stock - always have been - but was considering just doing 2.5" lowered Drop Spindles, and upgrading the breaks to disc and Wide 5 bolt pattern to hold the BRM's...?
I was thinking to lift it, and do a Class 11 Style rig... But not convinced yet.

Here's a few pics of my 70 🤙

(don't mind the red wire - just doing a jumper to confirm my wiring on my ignition was worn and needed replacing...)

J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Any updates on this??? Looks Beastly!

Double-Double wrote:
Here is the current state of my ‘70.

J-Gaz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

🏁🏆🏆🏆🏁

So you bought it new, and still have it! That's amazing!

cstreck wrote:
I’m fairly new to The Samba and just found this page. Saw Cussler’s post about possibly owning his the longest. So, here is my entry for longest owned 1970 Bug.

This is my 1970 VW purchased 30 May 1970. Base price was $1920, undercoating was $24.95, the vent shades $8.95 and the AM radio $69.95. With taxes it cost $2080. I taught my wife to drive a stick shift with it and we put 30K miles on it the first year we had it. When my kids were old enough they learned to drive it. Sadly, it’s been through multiple accidents, but survived them all. More sadly, it’s suffered through my feeble attempts to restore it. Since joining The Samba I have learned a lot about fixing issues. People have been very helpful with some of my repairs and I’ve located a horn and some fresh air vents here. This is a GREAT site. I’m thankful for everyone’s help, and will be needing much more in the near future.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

cstreck wrote:
I’m fairly new to The Samba and just found this page. Saw Cusser’s post about possibly owning his the longest. So, here is my entry for longest owned 1970 Bug.

This is my 1970 VW purchased 30 May 1970. Base price was $1920, undercoating was $24.95, the vent shades $8.95 and the AM radio $69.95. With taxes it cost $2080.

Yep, you win. I bought my 1970 in November 1972 from first owner. Before them it had been a demonstrator at the dealership, where apparently it got pinstriping and the Formula Vee decals. I do have the original sticker and price sheet somewhere; mine came with dealer-installed AM radio and dealer-installed DPD AC system. Mine was pastel white with red leatherette seats, and I had the seats reupholstered in 1976.
Back in those days with film and processing, I didn't take many photos of my 1970. This one got into Hot VWs Magazine in 1979.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

Ok, I’ll play…

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: For all The 1970 Beetle owners 1970 beetle thread Reply with quote

J-Gaz. wrote:
Any updates on this??? Looks Beastly!

Double-Double wrote:
Here is the current state of my ‘70.

If I'm not mistaken. He sold it and got out of the game.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: