Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powerflex suspension bushings
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Powerflex suspension bushings Reply with quote

In an effort to provide the best quality, easiest to use/install parts that I know if, I have recently made the commitment to become a stocking dealer for Powerflex bushings. Since the upper control arm bushings are a very sour subject on the Vanagon, I concentrated my initial stocking order (expected to arrive any time now) on those and other various suspension bushings.

What I would like is to hear from you guys (and girls of course) at to what bushings you are most interested in. I can pretty well guess that the front upper control arm bushings will be at the top of people's lists, but include them anyway. I would like to get a good feel for what you want so that I can include them in my second stocking order so that they are readily available to you.

Below you will find a list of Powerflex bushings along with their part numbers. Please copy and paste the items that you are most interested in into your post so that I can tally up the results. Please contact me if price is a deciding factor in your decision making process. Please email questions to [email protected]

And thank you in advance for your help on this.

Front Lower Control Arm Bushing PFF85-1001 x2
Front Anti Roll Bar Mount Bushing (link to control arm) PFF85-1002 x4
Front Steering Rack Mount Bushing PFF85-1003 x4
Front Anti Roll Bar To Chassis Bushing 21mm PFF85-1004 x2
Front Anti Roll Bar To Chassis Bushing 19mm PFF85-1004-19 x2
Front Anti Roll Bar To Chassis Bushing 21mm PFF85-1005 x2
Front Anti Roll Bar To Chassis Bushing 23mm PFF85-1005-23 x2
Front Control Arm-Upper Inner Bushing PFF85-1006 x4
Front Anti Roll Bar Endlink Eyelet Bushing 19mm PFF85-1008-19 x2
Front Anti Roll Bar Endlink Eyelet Bushing 21mm PFF85-1008-21 x2
Front Anti Roll Bar Endlink Eyelet Bushing 23mm PFF85-1008-23 x2
Rear Trailing Arm To Chassis Bushing PFR85-1011 x4

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My immediate interests are these:

and these:

If I ever do the front end again I'll buy the works, but besides the above, that's a few years out Smile

Robyn
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the Powerflex USA site at the UCA bushings yesterday. These appear to be a 3 piece arrangement with inner and outer stainless steel components separated by the poly insert, which is not sealed from the environment. Powerflex specify a special type of grease to be used, but once assembled that's all there is. Has anyone had any long term experience with these fittings? I'd buy them in a moment if I was sure they'd last longer/quieter than my lousy Meyle's which are both squeeking like mad (installed 10/09).

The stainless should obviate some of the rust (and squeeking) issues, but I am assuming they are not to be tack welded into place like the stockers? The designs looks like it would lend itself well to having a zerk fitting added to be able to replenish the grease at intervals...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, thanks for making these bushings more readily available for the vanagon crowd. I've thought that the steering rack bushings would be worthwhile after reading a bit on their benefits over stock rubber, but I'd still like to hear some additional real world feedback first.

I imagine you'll be testing a full front end rebuild when the parts come in - would love some honest before and after reviews.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this is a new program to me, I have some questions regarding "washout" of the grease in to Powerflex and I will let you know the reply just as soon as I hear what they have to say.

The one thing that I can say is that the design of the bushing themselves will help with the grease retention. The inner diameter of the bushing have a sort of crosshatch pattern designed into them that helps keep the grease between the bushing and the inner sleeve.

Powerflex recommends a small tack weld to retain the outer bushing sleeve in the 2wd control arms.

1621, I have installed one set of power steering rack bushings and was impressed that I could actually feel the difference. While it was not a radical change, it did firm up the steering feel. And yes, once I have everything in stock, I do plan on installing a full set, one set at a time, into my rolling test bed. I will report on everything that I experience from installation to ride quality, good or not so good.

I also want to mention that my motivation for asking this question was not in an effort to get anyone to make any commitments or to feel obligated in any way. I simply want to get a feel for which parts might be most popular so that I can keep a good stock on hand and be able to provide them in a timely manor.

Even if you have no plans of purchasing any bushings at the moment, I am still interested in hearing from you.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more than happy to be your first customer for 2 sets of these.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing/learning more.

I have been advised to stay away from urethane bushings on the Vanagon, but I don't know if thats just old school thinking or if there is a rationale behind it.

The steering rack bushings have my interest as do the (front) upper control arm bushings..

I'd like a better solution for the Addco swaybar (to frame) but do not see that listed.

I will be modifying 14" to 16" trailing arms and though I have the stock rubber bushings (new) waiting, I might be convinced to try the Poweflex product there as well.

Will be following this with interest

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any plans on reporducing tie rod/drag link bushes?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been advised to stay away from urethane bushings on the Vanagon, but I don't know if thats just old school thinking or if there is a rationale behind it.

I have been given mixed reviews from people from Europe (who have had these bushings for a good bit longer than we have) with most of them leaning toward the positive. While I can imagine the possibility of the front lower control arm and rear control arm bushings causing an increase in road feel, I cannot imagine how the upper control arm bushings could. The rubber in the original style bushings is so thin that I can even imagine the urethane bushing having better insulation properties.

Like I mentioned earlier, I do plan on a full installation with evaluations of each bushing set and honest feedback from my butt dyno.

Quote:
I'd like a better solution for the Addco swaybar (to frame) but do not see that listed.

That's a good question. I had assumed that the anti roll bar bushings were just the bushing, but I will inquire if that included the bracket too.

Either way, if you contact Addco, they can send you a replacement bracket that is far superior to the original one that they supply (the one with the slip-in tab). The newer style bracket requires a 8mm hole to be drilled in the frame rail like the early vans have. That gives you two bolts per bracket. I just installed a set of these newer/better brackets in a customer's van and they are definitely an upgrade.

Quote:
Is there any plans on reporducing tie rod/drag link bushes?

I will inquire about that too.

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently rebuilt my front-end so for the moment I've very interesting in the steering rack bushings

Are they the same for both manual and power racks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82WestyMan wrote:
I've recently rebuilt my front-end so for the moment I've very interesting in the steering rack bushings

Are they the same for both manual and power racks?

Yes, power and manual are the same.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those steering rack bushings are getting lots of interest... Wink
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upper control arm bushings 4
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear Trailing Arm To Chassis Bushing PFR85-1011 x4
Front Lower Control Arm Bushing PFF85-1001 x2

Thanks for another option!

Last edited by SteveVanB on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks loogy,
I have just been emailing brickwerks regarding these bushings, this makes everything much easier now. Laughing

Immediately;

randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you want to hear via Email or by posts on this thread?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
do you want to hear via Email or by posts on this thread?

In this thread is good, but email or PM is good too. Any way that I can get a feel for what to stock is great. Thank you!

If you (or anyone else) has questions regarding pricing, installation or anything else, it would be best to handle that over email or PM.

JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fitted Powerflex bushes to the steering rack on everyone of my T3's and would suggest the same to anyone asking.

They offer the biggest change and upgrade in my opnion and the difference is immediate.

I've fitted bushes to everywhere else on one vehicle (apart from the top arm bushes as they weren't available at the time) and the ride was good, handling was excellent and no harshness was found anywhere. Well worth doing.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex suspension bushings Reply with quote

loogy wrote:

Probably just the steering bushings.

If my van was lowered, non westy, and a little more performance oriented I'd be interested in the whole lot... but it's not.

I've installed poly bushings on an MK1 - they definitely firmed things up, but thats not really what I'm going for with my van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: