Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon vs Toyota van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWOCD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Vancouver (BC) Craigslist, type in Hiace and see the many results for import Toyota vans. I am totally intrigued at this point. Diesel, 4 wheel drive, and seemingly comparable set up to the Westy.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/ctd/1934977134.html

j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

Link

HOLY ROCKER PANELS, BATMAN!

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottf3334 wrote:
If this was 1985 and you were in the market for a new kid hauler, would you test drive both vans??

I did in '89 and selected the toyota 4wd because of toyota's reliability rep at that time plus the comparatively higher horsepower. And I already owned a number of air-cooled VW's so had my 'fix'.

scottf3334 wrote:
Also, there don't seem to be nearly as many around. If they were so reliable, why do I see way more vanagons that everyone insits was cursed from the factory with the WBX??

The toyotas like the vanagons were more popular in certain regions of NA than others. The toyota engines were difficult to access and work on and, more recently, don't lend themselves easily to conversions. With the engines in front the 2wd's had terrible traction in inclement weather (rear wheel drive). The vanagons had collectively about a four or five year longer sales run than the toyotas. The vanagons were riding on the popularity and cult of the older air-coolers and the latter's connection to the 'hippie' era for some people. And I find the vanagons more fun to drive.

Coincidently to this thread I've noticed recently in my 'hood 3 or 4 driveways around loaded with 4 or 5 toyota vans of the vintage we're discussing so perhaps there's a recent collector thing going on (or maybe most of those are parts vans).

scottf3334 wrote:
Maybe the curse of the Toyota van to be seen as a Toyota.

I recall by the early 90's people considering the toyota vans kind of nerdy along with the similar looking mitsubishi vans rolling around. I think this was also mentioned in one of the popular "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" films too.

scottf3334 wrote:
So is there something to that "soul" thing somewhere in the vanagons german metal?

Absolutely although some who drive vanagons might not see it that way. Terms like 'soul' and 'karma' are really metaphors for feel good, good vibes, fits well, etc. which we all experience with various things in life and are real feelings and sensations (even though soul and karma have other meanings as well).

In an ultra neo-liberal burg like where I live there are numerous free-spirits/jhippie-wannabes who wave all the time and think vanagons are the greatest. I can only assume there's some connectivity there with the past although vanagons came out long after the so-called brief hippie era of the late 60's.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> If this was 1985 and you were in the market for a new kid hauler,

If you had bought a Westy, you would be the COOL Dad.

And even if you buy a Westy today, your kids will Know you're cool.

There is no ToyWesty, the HiAces and Delicas in Canada have the steering wheel on the wrong side, uncle sam wont let you have one, and again, they wont make you cool, like a Westy will..

Your friend sent you on a wild goose chase, now get back on track and buy a Westy, they really Are cool.
offroad.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/

bet they wish they had a westy......... Laughing
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
>

There is no ToyWesty, the HiAces and Delicas in Canada have the steering wheel on the wrong side, uncle sam wont let you have one, and again, they wont make you cool, like a Westy will..

uncle sam will let you have anything you want, as long as its 25 yrs old. i know alot of right hand drive vehicles running around. i know--sounds old--but our beloved syncros are right at the door ready to come in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottf3334 wrote:
If this was 1985 and you were in the market for a new kid hauler, would you test drive both vans?

Thats kinda why the picture would be great. Also, there don't seem to be nearly as many around. If they were so reliable, why do I see way more vanagons that everyone insits was cursed from the factory with the WBX?

Maybe the curse of the Toyota van to be seen as a Toyota. Strickly a financial thing, use it until it costs more to fix than it's worth. So is there something to that "soul" thing somewhere in the vanagons german metal?

The very first thing that attracts me to a vehicle is how it looks. Going back to the '80s: For me, the Vanagon (and Bus for that matter) have lots of character and just "fit" me. The Toyota just looks... stupid, silly and awkward. If I were in the market for a "kid hauler", the Toyota wouldn't even be on my list, no matter the reliability. The Vanagon's competition for me would've been *gasp* the Dodge Caravan. I actually like the '80s versions, but they too lack "character". I think it's, in part, that "character" and "soul" that drives so many VW folks together. Come on, how many old Toyota Vans do you see caravanning down a highway? How many old Dodge Caravans do you see at car shows? How many old Chevy conversion vans do you see gathering in the woods for a camp-out? I would imagine not many.

I see one of those Toyota vans every now then. Much like 90% of the Caravans/Voyagers, it looks like it's been beat to hell. Volkswagens are seen as time-honored classics by Volkswagen enthusiasts and seek to save as many as they can. They'll drag a rusted-out Bus, Bug, Vanagon, etc. home to spend years restoring. Toyota and Dodge vans no one really cares too much about (other than those select few who appreciate them), so I'm sure a good many of those vans have long been sent to the crusher when they reached "warn out" status.

Aside from larger conversion vans (GM, Ford), Volkswagen was the only company supplying a passenger "minivan" with camping/RV equipment that slept 4 people, and heck, you get one of those in 4WD! Volkswagen, with some exceptions, has a uniqueness; I'll take that uniqueness over JD Powers and Consumer Reports reliability rankings any day. Very Happy

offroad. wrote:

Ho..lee...cra... Shocked
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offroad. wrote:

Holly mutha o god! I just clicked on that link and hell i thought i was Buck Rodgers Ahhrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Laughing
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offroad. wrote:

and I thought us Vanagon people had problems Laughing

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
VWOCD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The van in the picture is from the 90's you need to compare that to a eurovan to be fair. One thing I have noticed about the toyota vans is there really is not much of a following for them when compared to vw vans just compare how many websites there are for any other maker and then look at vw. They also have a much lower resale value than the VW's. VW's do seem to have a strong cult following in general.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWOCD wrote:

This thing is cool!!!
PicklePickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both. They are both fantastic vehicles for different reasons. Here's the unbiased skinny:

The Vanagon

The Vanagon was overtly designed after the (then) foreign only Toyota HiAce of the 1970's. For reference, here are some photos of the 67+ Toyota HiAce:

Seeing the upcoming "mini van" craze of the 1980's as other motor companies did, Toyota planned to launch their Van in the U.S. on a larger scale as their success in the car market gave them financial momentum to build their brand while VW sought to import their Vanagon to the U.S. and market it aggressively in an effort to stave off any chance of a takeover of the Van market by Toyota or any other motor company in the 1980's.

The first three years of the Vanagon were a strange cross hybrid between the 68+ Type 2 and the new Vanagon frame. It carried a 70BHP 2.0 air-cooled VW flat four engine which was exchanged only a few years later in 1984 for poorly adapted water-cooled conversions of the same basic engine known as the Wasserboxer. In 1986, the water-cooled engine design was stabilized enough to make the vehicle reasonably dependable and by the late eighties and early nineties, the engine/frame platform were quite reliable due to ongoing improvements.

The Vanagon makes an awesome cruiser, who's motor hum can almost lull you to sleep going down the road. It has a little more space and feels very stable going down the road. Support for the Vanagon is unparalleled (just look at the number of forum posts in the Vanagon forum on thesamba.com). Parts are aplenty in most cases except for some rare parts and getting them is in the worst case a couple days away when getting them from your favorite online parts vendor or thesamba friends.

Best of all, the Vanagon is recognized and humbly respected worldwide as having (even through it's troubled years) served much of the world very well for many years. It's close relation to it's elder, the Type 2 makes it loveable to hippies and the older folks who recall fond memories when they look inside a Camper model interior. Parking lot stories and new friends abound when you drive a Vanagon. However, beware the above average maintenance, noise, lack of A/C (and possibly heat depending on your rig condition!) which may be cons to you depending on what you are looking for when choosing the Vanagon.

The Van Wagon

No one seems to know actually whether the name Van Wagon was chosen after Toyota learned of the Vanagon name or whether it was the other way around, but there is no debate over whether the two were closely named intentionally as Toyota and VW planned to battle for the U.S. van market. Toyota launched the new MasterAce as the Van Wagon in the U.S. with little fanfare and it never really made it as a smash hit. Toyota would not achieve much of any measurable U.S. Van share until some 20 years following the Van Wagon release with the entry of their Toyota Sienna Van.

The Van Wagon is like a space shuttle. It is quiet, super comfortably smooth, fast, and ultra reliable. It houses not one, but two very reliable air conditioning units, that cool the interior rapidly and efficiently without over taxing the motor (only Toyota could figure that out). It shifts like chilled butter and accelerates rapidly for a little Van. It is powered by a high torque 102HP 2.2L 4Y-E water cooled engine situated between the front seats thats hooked to RWD tread. It can go anywhere a Vanagon can, except for VW shows. The Van Wagon has it's fans, but it won't cause a hippie to faint with overwhelming flashbacks to their Bus/Camper days.

Lack of fan base, support and interior and body parts are the cons for the Toyota Van Wagon. Rebuilding the interior consists of hunting down the least damaged old peices you can find, which is difficult to do since they are rare and virtually unsupported by any vendor. Converserly, engine and drive-train maintenance are much simpler given their cross part availability with Celica's, Supras, Corollas, etc.

If you want a very reliable, smooth, comfortable cruiser that is generally safe to pack your family into for highway travel and yet a blast to have a little fun with too, you cannot beat the Toyota Van Wagon.

So, it's more a matter of what you're going for than which is "better." I love them all. I couldn't imagine taking the Toyota Van Wagon out camping in the woods, but then I can't imagine taking the family in the Vanagon on a blazing hot South Louisiana summer day to see family 8 hours away just for the weekend. They both serve their purposes and have their place.

I went out and shot the video to give you an upclose look at both:

Link

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PicklePickle wrote:

The Vanagon was overtly designed after the (then) foreign only Toyota HiAce of the 1970's. For reference, here are some photos of the 67+ Toyota HiAce:

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Laughing

The 1950's Westy:

Volkswagen vans began in the 1950s and were imported en-mass to the USA. The Toyota van of the '60s and '70s did not make it to the USA en-mass, and certainly weren't very popular.

The Vanagon began production in May 1979 and went on sale later that year in the USA as a 1980 model year vehicle. It was designed in the late '70s. Was it overtly designed after (i.e. blatantly copied from) the Toyota? Not in my opinion. Design cues may have been taken from it, but considering the Bug (rounded design) was replaced by the Golf I/Rabbit (squared design), the squared-off Vanagon is a natural progression to the rounded Bus.

The Toyota MasterAce began production in November 1982 and went on sale in the USA in 1983 as a 1984 model year (same year as the Dodge).

Quote:
Seeing the upcoming "mini van" craze of the 1980's as other motor companies did, Toyota planned to launch their Van in the U.S. on a larger scale as their success in the car market gave them financial momentum to build their brand while VW sought to import their Vanagon to the U.S. and market it aggressively in an effort to stave off any chance of a takeover of the Van market by Toyota or any other motor company in the 1980's.

Considering the "minivan" didn't arrive until 1984, no one could've really predicted how well the minivan market would have been back in the late '70s and very early '80s. Dodge's design of a small, front-engine passenger van that drove like a car was ultimately a smashing success. Dodge/Chrysler forced all the other minivan-producing companies to scramble to find ways to compete. Dodge was king of the minivans up until several years ago, when the Toyota Sienna finally made a big dent in Dodge's sales figures (the fact that overall minivan sales have plummeted notwithstanding).

Quote:
No one seems to know actually whether the name Van Wagon was chosen after Toyota learned of the Vanagon name or whether it was the other way around, but there is no debate over whether the two were closely named intentionally as Toyota and VW planned to battle for the U.S. van market. Toyota launched the new MasterAce as the Van Wagon in the U.S. with little fanfare and it never really made it as a smash hit. Toyota would not achieve much of any measurable U.S. Van share until some 20 years following the Van Wagon release with the entry of their Toyota Sienna Van.

As stated earlier: Vanagon debuted in 1979; the Toyota VanWagon was introduced in 1983. I think it's safe to say that Toyota took a naming cue from the Vanagon. Wink You know, come to think of it now, I vaguely recall Volkswagen going after Toyota (aka lawsuit) because of the VanWagon name, which is why the name was publicly changed to MasterAce and shortened to Van. I'll have to investigate...

The MasterAce was never a success for the same two reasons that Vanagon sales steadily declined: Dodge Caravan & Plymouth Voyager. Toyota would finally dig into the Dodge's Minivan Kingdom in the '00s.

Quote:
So, it's more a matter of what you're going for than which is "better." ... They both serve their purposes and have their place.

Indeed. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the Gnd. Clearance on the Toyota VanWagon?
PicklePickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you define ground clearance as the distance from the ground to the very lowest protrusion from the bottom of the van, the Toyota is about 8" and the Vanagon is about 10" give or take in both scenarios depending on suspension wear, tire inflation and assuming stock tires sizes.

I just went out and measured both.

Oh, and Kam, great analysis. Only exception would be that American and foreign motorcar vendors definitely knew the potential of minivan in the auto market. It was the concept of a kid and cargo hauler that women could feel comfortable driving--an incredible opportunity since such a vehicle did not yet exist. Most vans were mens territory and women were relegated to the station wagon which quickly died after the introduction of the minivan. What ultimately became known as the minivan was car-van or as Dodge put it Caravan. The concept was the same though as it is seen in the early naming conventions, blending Wagon and Van or Car and Van. Either way, it represented a newer, more comfortable and appealing take on existing small vans. In fact--before being essentially ousted--Lee Iacocca had tried to drum up interest at Ford in the concept but they would have nothing to do with it. The Chrysler company did bite though and under his leadership, brought the Caravan to market as a FWD smooth cruiser with cupholders for the first time--an feature he has since lamented since it has been attributed to so many accidents.

By going FWD, Chrysler under it's Dodge brand made the risky decision to ultimately put the woman first and put the utilitarian aspect second--and they won--BIG.

However, did they create an icon? Not really, just an evolution of the motorcar. I have not really seen an icon in the motorcar world for many many years to be honest.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good video and comparison text. Thanks. I also watched one of the off road videos. Seemingly everyone has their own little niche and its all about personal choice, oh and $$$, interests, life style, etc.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for all the info!

what we really want, of course, is a reasonably noise free ride to where we are going to park our nice camper

the best solution is to have someone drive the Vanagon there and then drive to meet them in your sports car
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR fly yourself in a little wee airplane cause its all loaded in the van Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
Unfortunately, they didn't include a Vanagon in this contest, but the Previa makes a good show. Laughing God, I love this show.

Link

You really wanted to see The Hamster playing wrinkle-fender with a Vanagon? Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: