Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

points for 36hp
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: points for 36hp Reply with quote

need to know the correct number for points for a 36hp with a distributor number VJU4BR8 mine work fine but would like to get a spair set .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch part number 01003.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn
thank you for the fast info Very Happy Very Happy Jeff Gier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have fun adjusting the new style points if you have the original points plate and you aren't using the eccentric adjusting screw.
original points plate on left, replacement (and maybe later style) points plate on right. notice how the original points plate does not have the two nubs to adjust the points with a screwdriver.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that hard.

[img]
[/img]

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did i say it was hard?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple sets of points, one that is like the first photo, and another like the second photo. The first one has the longer base piece of metal that extends toward the vacuum control arm and rests slightly under a tang that is part of the control arm retaining bracket. Now obviously both work the same once they're in place, but I'm curious about the trivia of why that extra metal is there and did it ever serve a purpose? Perhaps in another distributor it was more functional?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
but I'm curious about the trivia of why that extra metal is there and did it ever serve a purpose?

if you look at the previous pic i posted, you'll see that the plate on the left does not have the two little nubs for adjusting the points, like you would adjust points on later model distributors. that is an original plate.
the "extra metal" on the points (and the hole in it) are the way the points are adjusted with an original plate. there is a small eccentric screw that fits in the plate and the hole in the points, and when that screw is turned, the point gap opens/closes. you can see the screw in the "extra metal" on the distributor below.

can you adjust later points on an early points plate without the nubs? sure. is it not that hard when the distributor is out on your workbench? sure. is it a pain when the distributor is in the car and you're working in a more confined space? sure.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I get the general idea. How does that adjuster screw stay in there, is it integral to the point plate, or the points? And, are those type of points still available new? I'm not concerned about how hard or easy it is to adjust one style or the other, this is just an exercise in trivia detail. I just had a couple of my distributors apart, combining the best from each, new shims etc. (thanks to a Samba member for parts!), so I'm a bit focused on this right now. Out of three distributors I have, none have this screw, one has the later style point plate with the nubs, it was from a factory rebuilt motor, but I'm working on the older ones.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
is it integral to the point plate

yes
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Snort wrote:
is it integral to the point plate

yes

on a full mechanical advance type, yes, the eccentric is part of the points plate. it is peened through the points plate and rotates.

on a vacuum advance distributor, no, it's not. the eccentric screw is held down by the "extra metal" tab of the points, and the lower "stub" of the screw rides in an oval shaped hole in the plate. you can see the hole in the first pic i posted. if you are not careful when changing the "extra metal" type points, the eccentric screw will fall out, get lost, and then you're stuck adjusting them the "hard" way.

here's what an eccentric screw looks like when not in a distributor (vacuum advance type distributors).

here's what the eccentric screw looks like on a full mechanical advance distributor (the lower screw at about 7 o'clock)

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct me if I am wrong but didn't only the mechanical advance use the eccentric to set the points. I have 2 Vac ones and they don't have and 3 mech and they do have it Confused
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
correct me if I am wrong but didn't only the mechanical advance use the eccentric to set the points. I have 2 Vac ones and they don't have and 3 mech and they do have it Confused

Some did and some didn't. The early mechanical had the screw and about 1959 they changed to a nub instead. Only the VJU4BR8 used the screw on the vacuum units until the "040" replacement mode came out with nubs.

VJU4BR8

0 231 115 040 (has both)

VJR4BR25

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I knew some of my stuff was old but Exclamation
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

here's what an eccentric screw looks like when not in a distributor (vacuum advance type distributors).

No wonder I don't have one, I can see why those could easily get lost.

Glenn wrote:

Some did and some didn't. The early mechanical had the screw and about 1959 they changed to a nub instead. Only the VJU4BR8 used the screw on the vacuum units until the "040" replacement mode came out with nubs.

One of my distributor point plates has both nubs and the eccentric hole, just like Glenn's 0 231 115 040 photo, but no such part number that I can see, only the VJUR4BR8 on the badge. It even has a similar looking US-PAT stamping on it. Does this mean it has a plate from a different distributor? This is the one that came with my factory rebuild motor.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noted the US patent on several VJUR 4 BR 8's and their clones the 040 and 005. Their date stamps indicate that they were made in the mid to late 60's. These were replacement distributors.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
I've noted the US patent on several VJUR 4 BR 8's and their clones the 040 and 005. Their date stamps indicate that they were made in the mid to late 60's. These were replacement distributors.

The change in part number along indicates they were replacements. Bosch change the way they number their parts around 1964.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: