Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Bostig turbo
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: The Bostig turbo Reply with quote

The information page is up, as of yesterday.

http://www.bostig.com/index.php?option=com_content...010-images

Looks like fun.

Robyn
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little paragraph at the bottom of the page says a lot about what an impressive class-act those guys are in the conversion realm.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Cool
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Santa? There's been a slight change on my wish list...
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove and raced 3 of them and they were really great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY!!!
I'm excited about this. But I want to drive one before throwing down that much change.
Anybody installing one of these in the southeast?
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:
FINALLY!!!
I'm excited about this. But I want to drive one before throwing down that much change.
Anybody installing one of these in the southeast?

As i've mentioned in the past drive every option available before being sold on any swap.
Also:
"Our conversion is not California legal. CA compliance violates our design philosophy (adding complexity and cost without adding customer value; the systems that allow compliance are unreliable and cause most drivability issues in the stock focus implementation). The turbo likewise is not CA legal, nor is it possible that it can be legal. A good alternative turbo conversion exists for CA customers that is legal though, contact Stephan at http://www.stephansautohaus.com/....."
When factoring in the price of the kit, engine assembly, and the added cost of the turbo kit i don't see where the value is? Cad cam drawings and fancy adds do nothing for me. The "215lbs torque ceiling" for the trans is b.s. Drag bugs, busses, dune buggys, and the many (chipped/off road of course) 1.8t swaps prove this daily. A stock 1.8t trumps these figures and a chipped, stg1, stg2, and stg3 makes these figures laughable in my humble vw engine loveing opinion. The r&d in the 1.8t will also trump any home brewed kit, "." As will the many yrs of r&d for improvements made by APR and CTS. The vwvortex.com 1.8t tech section will open yer eyes as to how stout and badd ass the 1.8t can be....
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....

Last edited by dredward on Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
vspecter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice turbo setup from Bostigs guy but nobody ever thought about using the Jackson Racing supercharged on a Zetec?

Roadtrip to from Québec to Utah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqCpcA7NLdE
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vspecter wrote:
Very nice turbo setup from Bostigs guy but nobody ever thought about using the Jackson Racing supercharged on a Zetec?

Yes they have. In fact one person had so many probs with the charger in there converted van they removed it and installed a 1.8t..... Laughing
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
Lotek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bostig crew certainly seem top notch. Sadly, I'm in Cali with an automatic, so neither Bostig or a 1.8t are possible for me.

Dredward, do you like the 1.8T? It's kinda hard to tell from your posts.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotek wrote:
Dredward, do you like the 1.8T? It's kinda hard to tell from your posts.

Yes i do...... Do you Love the z-tek? Do you love the diesel? Whats yer huckle berry? Rolling Eyes I also like to state facts as i see em. I also like to keep people informed. If i have advice i give it. If i don't like something i'll say it. I could go on and on my friend. I honestly think putting a 130 hp in a heavy ass van is lame, sorry if that ruffles yer feathers or sensibiltys. I also think it's lame to call the feds on yer comp when you know they kick ass only to realize it as legit as it gets. Laughing
Lotek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Dred, I was joking -glad you love your ride, and sorry to hear about your accident in the other thread.
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
blah blah blah...I love the 1.8T....blah blah blah...it's the best...blah blah blah..all other conversions suck...blah blah blah....
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Drag bugs, busses, dune buggys, and the many (chipped/off road of course) 1.8t swaps prove this daily.

How many miles do these vehicles get on them annually? How many miles does the tranny last? A car that gets maybe 100 miles out of the tranny doesn't compare directly to a heavy van that I would hope to get another 200k miles out of a rebuilt tranny.
A sandrail doesn't get as serious of a shockload as a street car due to the fact that they are on sand and lack the traction of tarmack during hookup. Fast rails and drag cars don't use VW trannys but a Mendeola tranny instead.
Like you said- drive every option available before being sold on any swap.

It is good to hear that the bostig converted vans finally have the bigger power option available to them now if they so desire.
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
I also think it's lame to call the feds on yer comp when you know they kick ass only to realize it as legit as it gets. Laughing

Any reason you are insinuating that Bostig called the law on Stephan's shop? Cuz it doesn't seem like that's something those guys would do. Bostig has consistently recommended Stephan's shop and the 1.8t for those who are looking for a CA legal option. It doesn't seem like there is any animosity between those two shops that would call for the cutthroat competitive tactics that you imply.

If you have information that suggests otherwise, than please excuse me. Otherwise, please respect other folks who work hard for the vanagon community.
bandjstewart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dred.

One Bostig customer was unhappy with his supercharged Zetec. Bostig worked very hard to make that customer happy, and in the end gave that customer a full refund. I cannot think of more amazing customer service.

I purchased the first supercharged Zetec and installed it in my Syncro back in 2006. I still have that conversion in my van; I have driven it across the country twice; I have been to both SDM and NWMF and driven the hell out of it; and I am still damn happy with it. The quality of Bostig and of the supercharged Zetec should not be put into question. One person didn't like it and found another product he likes better. Big deal. End of story.

The 1.8T is an awesome conversion, but quite frankly, each of us has our own reasons to decide how we make each van our own. In the end the greatest thing is that we are all out enjoying one of the greatest and most unique vehicles ever produced. I do not understand why you cannot appreciate and enjoy the diversity of options the Vanagon community gets to enjoy.

You also say that you like to state facts and yet you directly accuse Bostig of calling the feds on Stephan. You got proof of this, or are you just letting the bile and nastiness run out of your mouth again?

Yes, the 1.8T is great. Yes, Stephan has a quality product. But why you think your bullying, negativity and nastiness helps to "keep people informed" is beyond me.

John

1986 Westy Weekender Syncro w/ (was Supercharged, now Turbocharged, soon to be Supercharged again) Bostig Zetec.
1977 Pinzgauer 712K.
1991 Volvo 780 Bertone
Square cars are awesome.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotek wrote:
Yo Dred, I was joking -glad you love your ride, and sorry to hear about your accident in the other thread.

No worries, i hope to not be a total ass but sometimes i can't help it... I am human....
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnwater wrote:
dredward wrote:
blah blah blah...I love the 1.8T....blah blah blah...it's the best...blah blah blah..all other conversions suck...blah blah blah....

If yer gona make use of quotes use my exact word, or not, i don't care.... If i offend you can allways ignore me Rolling Eyes
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnwater wrote:
dredward wrote:
I also think it's lame to call the feds on yer comp when you know they kick ass only to realize it as legit as it gets. Laughing

Any reason you are insinuating that Bostig called the law on Stephan's shop? Cuz it doesn't seem like that's something those guys would do. Bostig has consistently recommended Stephan's shop and the 1.8t for those who are looking for a CA legal option. It doesn't seem like there is any animosity between those two shops that would call for the cutthroat competitive tactics that you imply.

If you have information that suggests otherwise, than please excuse me. Otherwise, please respect other folks who work hard for the vanagon community.

Who else would? i honestly believe they did, hence why i said it.... I am not going to go into what facts i have or haven't with with you since you've pissed me off..... The clever wording and marketing on the site doesn't fool me. If i am proven wrong and some one else fesses to being a RAT i'll take it back, however i will never say their kit is great cause i don't think it is.....
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandjstewart wrote:
Dred.

John

"One Bostig customer was unhappy with his supercharged Zetec. Bostig worked very hard to make that customer happy, and in the end gave that customer a full refund. I cannot think of more amazing customer service." Yes i know. did i say every bostig with a super had probs? No. Thats swell they gave a refund, you should when yer product fails to deliver or malfunctions.

"I purchased the first supercharged Zetec and installed it in my Syncro back in 2006. I still have that conversion in my van; I have driven it across the country twice; I have been to both SDM and NWMF and driven the hell out of it; and I am still damn happy with it. The quality of Bostig and of the supercharged Zetec should not be put into question. One person didn't like it and found another product he likes better. Big deal. End of story. " Thats good and i am glad yer happy. When undergoing such a surgery and spending yer hard $ you should be. Not one 1.8t owner is channgeing over cause they aren't happy with the power out put or depenabilty. I am sure if any of Stefs customers have probs he'll stand by his product as well as would anyone performing a swap with integrity...

"The 1.8T is an awesome conversion, but quite frankly, each of us has our own reasons to decide how we make each van our own. In the end the greatest thing is that we are all out enjoying one of the greatest and most unique vehicles ever produced. I do not understand why you cannot appreciate and enjoy the diversity of options the Vanagon community gets to enjoy. " I know the 1.8t is awsome, hence why i did it after researching all the options available. I agree that in the end its about enjoying yer van. I couldn't do that with the stock motor or anything other motor with under 200hp/torque in a vehicle that weighs what the Vanagon camper does. I do appreciate the other options such as an SVX, 2.5 suby(impreza), tdi's, etc. I've mentioned this before. I am not closed to other options.

"You also say that you like to state facts and yet you directly accuse Bostig of calling the feds on Stephan. You got proof of this, or are you just letting the bile and nastiness run out of your mouth again?" I believe they did and as mentioned earlier if i am proven wrong by someone else fessing up i'll take it back......

"Yes, the 1.8T is great. Yes, Stephan has a quality product. But why you think your bullying, negativity and nastiness helps to "keep people informed" is beyond me." Sorry to come off as a dick, however i shoot from the hip. I am not bullying anyone just stateing my opinion and facts as i see em. You do have the option to ignore me and my post. I do have a right to critique that i don't agree with as do you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: