Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canoe and bike rack- need help finding a picture
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Canoe and bike rack- need help finding a picture Reply with quote

I swear i saw a picture here of a vanagon with a Yakima rack that was set up for hauling both bikes and a canoe. I'm trying to locate it-- does anyone remember it or have a picture of their set-up?
We just purchased two yakima hirise towers and long bars-- trying to see how we want to mount it-- not sure if we want to just use the rack for the canoe and buy a Fiamma bike rack, or if we should just use the rack to carry everything.
I guess I'm a litle concerned about the height with the bikes on top.
thanks for any help!
Susie
IrideWheelies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of bikes on top. I carry a canoe on top but haven't put bikes up there for a few years. It was always difficult loading them and I usually needed a helper. Often I would just throw the bike inside to avoid the hassle of mounting it, which was damaging my interior. Also, I could really feel the wind resistance with bikes on top. My top speed and fuel economy suffered noticeably.

One rainy morning I was loading a bike on the roof and I slipped and fell to the ground. I managed to land on my feet but not in an ideal position and I wrenched my back. That afternoon I ordered a Thule T2 and it was one of the best investments I've made in my van.

http://itsthewater.blogspot.com/2007/03/my-thule-t2.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Carrying the canoe on top is great. I have Thule, not Yakima, but it's the same. I simply use two ratchet straps on the load bars and it's very secure. I have two load bars on the poptop and one more over the luggage rack. I use the Thule super-high foot for the one over the luggage rack. I had to buy a full set of four feet but only used two so I might sell the other set of feet.

Last edited by IrideWheelies on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18' cedar canvas Grenwood (~110 lbs)

16' kevlar/glass prospector (~50 lbs), with paulchen rack, 3 bikes)

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tride that is some back seat driver!!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find the pic (didn't find it, lots of canoe pics though), but came across this:

Shocked

Who here owns Coyote Shuttle in Moab?!

[end threadjack Very Happy ]
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vspecter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that van when I went to Moab this summer !!

Roadtrip to from Québec to Utah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqCpcA7NLdE
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my rig with both a canoe rack and the modified Thule swing-out bike rack with 4 bikes on it, just not both at the same time (yet):

'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowing Hen,
It has been great to read along as you bring your Camper back to life! And you ask a good question in regards to racks.
I have tried different combinations like when we had 1977 Westy with a bike rack up front. That worked swell.
Our white 1984 Westy had everything (bikes and kayak) on the roof using a pile of Yakima attachments and saddles. Not so good, as bikes are beasts to put up on the roof.
The green (current) 1984 Westy has a Yakima roof system employing the towers/bars and saddles for kayaks. On the back there is a Yakima hitch mount rack for bikes (GoWesty hitch). The current set up removes in a snap and loads/unloads with ease. Two thumbs up.
Cheers,
Jeffery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: racks Reply with quote

Don't forget that any weight on the top will require either shocks to assist or removal of the canoe to pop the top.

I put Yakima racks on last year with the intention of carrying a kayak or four. I tried an empty roof box and it was very difficult to pop the roof.

The boats went on a trailer. The racks are in the shed until the shocks are installed.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got Thule racks for my canoe and a ladder from Gary. Only regret I didnt order the ladder with premade bike carrier, I guess i will have to make something similar on my own

My car:

Ladder with bike carrier:

crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
Crowing Hen,
It has been great to read along as you bring your Camper back to life! And you ask a good question in regards to racks.
I have tried different combinations like when we had 1977 Westy with a bike rack up front. That worked swell.
Our white 1984 Westy had everything (bikes and kayak) on the roof using a pile of Yakima attachments and saddles. Not so good, as bikes are beasts to put up on the roof.
The green (current) 1984 Westy has a Yakima roof system employing the towers/bars and saddles for kayaks. On the back there is a Yakima hitch mount rack for bikes (GoWesty hitch). The current set up removes in a snap and loads/unloads with ease. Two thumbs up.
Cheers,
Jeffery

Hi Jeffery-
I'm happy to hear that you are following along on our progress with Butters! It's kind of a two step forward, one step back sort of thing. We are confident though that eventually we will have a trustworthy van, and we will know it literally from inside and out!
I think we're going to go with the Yakima rack for the canoe, and buy a Fiamma rear rack for the back. We don'thave a trailer hitch, so that limits our options, and it seems silly to put a hitch on just to carry bikes.
For right now we'll just take the canoe off if we want to pop up the top, maybe getting some pop top assist later on if it's warranted. The bars for our rack are super wide, so it should make putting the canoe up top easier.

Thank you all for the great pictures and info!!

Susie
WhiteH2O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yakima racks set up for carrying multiples, or a combination of: whitwater kayaks, surf skiis, sea kayaks, canoes, bikes, skiis, and snowboards. I have also had a cargo rack up there and also lots of wood from the lumberyard. Doing a canoe and bikes is super easy, but you will most likely want to carry around a little step ladder to make things easier. If you have long bars like I do, get the gunwale brackets on one side for the canoe, and whatever bike rack on the other side. Super easy.

I have had the pop top up with 4 whitewater kayaks up top, but I will admit that it was super hard to get up. Took two of us. I think struts are in the future for sure to help out in that case. The top up with a surfski and a bike or two isn't difficult, though.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowinghen wrote:
We don'thave a trailer hitch, so that limits our options, and it seems silly to put a hitch on just to carry bikes.

Funny, that's the exact reason I got the GoWesty hitch (a side benefit is being able to tow small trailers when need be): To be able to install a locking, fold-up Yakima bike rack.

The PO of my van did slid a PVC pipe, just a touch larger than the rack's bar, over the rear bar. Makes it a bit easier to glide your canoe/kayak/surfboard/etc. up onto the roof.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hitch rack is by far the best way to carry bikes. It is not silly, nor expensive to add one just for bikes.

You should take into account how costly and liable it can be if you were to lose a bike. How much damage could be done to your vehicle? In some states, it would can be a felony offense with large jail sentences for unsecured cargo.

Not something to take lightly IMO.
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I added a Dennis Haynes trailer hitch just to be able to mount up a hitch-mount bike rack-I'm WAAY too short to be even thinking about roof mounted bikes on a Westy! I love being able to swing it all out of the way and get into the rear of the van, with 4 bikes loaded up. I did have to weld up a custom brace to prevent the torque of the rack from bending the rack fully-opened-works great for me.

I welded up my own canoe racks using gutter mount clamps given to me by a friend-I think it cost me $16 in materials from my local metal scrap yard. 4 flip-up cams and the racks are off. I personally wouldn't want to try and lift my 16-foot Penobscot canoe (60 lbs, I think) mounted to the pop-up and not be able to fully raise the rear gate either.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
Here's my rig with both a canoe rack and the modified Thule swing-out bike rack with 4 bikes on it...

Modified how? I have one of these, and I'm curious what you may have done to it. I might like your mod if it's useful to me.

buildyourown wrote:
A hitch rack is by far the best way to carry bikes. It is not silly, nor expensive to add one just for bikes.

You should take into account how costly and liable it can be if you were to lose a bike.

Amen, brother. I've been working in bike shops for over fifteen years, and I've sold literally thousands of racks. It is simply AMAZING how many people chop stuff off the roof of their cars. I've seen everything. The funny thing is that I've done it twice myself. Bikes up there are a ticking time bomb. You're gonna do it. I dare someone to post here that they've never done it and never will!

Not to mention:
-Super hard to load
-Hurts your gas mileage
-Puts a huge wind sail on top of your vehicle...can you say cross wind?
-Can cause increased noise
-Bikes get filthy with dirt and bugs, and HAMMERED with high-pressure moisture when it rains
-Harder to raise the pop-top

I agree totally with putting the canoe up there. Where the heck else are ya gonna put it? But bikes belong on the back in my personal and professional opinion. If you do put something on the back, strongly consider something that swings out of the way WHILE the bikes are loaded.

Tha's my .02 FWIW. Good luck putting together your rack setup. Bikes AND boats mean FUN!

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

point well taken-- we will consider getting a hitch for a bike rack-- thanks--- well after we get the mechanicals figured out!!

susie
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture shows 2 modifications-rack is/was a Thule 998XT 4 bike swing out rack.

#1 notice I shortened and raised the rear of the rack by cutting the 2 inch receiver tube and stacking, welding and gusseting the joint. This was because the Thule stuck out straight, hung low and dragged on the ground at low approach angles. This fixed that problem. Yakima's model is better suited for a low clearance rack than Thule.

#2 notice the horizontal brace. This rests/sits on top of the hitch and prevents the weight of a loaded rack from exerting full leverage from the center of the hitch. Now the leverage starts at the pivot region and barely flexes even with 4 full-susser mountain bikes loaded up.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
The picture shows 2 modifications-rack is/was a Thule 998XT 4 bike swing out rack.

#1 notice I shortened and raised the rear of the rack by cutting the 2 inch receiver tube and stacking, welding and gusseting the joint. This was because the Thule stuck out straight, hung low and dragged on the ground at low approach angles. This fixed that problem. Yakima's model is better suited for a low clearance rack than Thule.

#2 notice the horizontal brace. This rests/sits on top of the hitch and prevents the weight of a loaded rack from exerting full leverage from the center of the hitch. Now the leverage starts at the pivot region and barely flexes even with 4 full-susser mountain bikes loaded up.

Nice! Thanks for the details.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vspecter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadtrip to from Québec to Utah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqCpcA7NLdE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: