Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hose Clamps
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Hose Clamps Reply with quote

I am rebuilding my 2.1 and replacing all the coolant hoses in the engine compartment. I am looking for a good source for high quality hose clamps, not regular old worm type that cut into the hoses over time.

I also need good calmps for the 4 intake hoses.

Does anyone have a source they would recommend? How about a list of all the sizes I am going to need? Anyone sell a kit?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMaster Carr
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: clamps Reply with quote

When I did mine a couple of years ago most were available from VW at a very unreasonable price.

I reused quite a few and replaced a bunch with the worm type. I didn't see any kits at the time for clamps...just hoses.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truechoice Racing carries the ABA stainless clamps. These have the non perforated and rolled edge design that doesn't cut into the hose.

http://www.truechoice.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ABA%2012

Sorry, can't help you on a complete list of all the sizes you need.
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a bunch from here http://www.ultimategarage.com/shop/index.php?cPath=309&osCsid=s0ae37t5cfdvb7mokd88pfk785 when I did my rebuild. They have the really nice all high grade 316 stainless vs. 304 stainless or with regular steel screw like the original ones. They also have the mini ones that are good for the fuel lines. The good ones with the non perforated bands and rolled edges are expensive but worth it for many applications, particularly if you drive in the winter.
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas... now if I could get a list of all the sizes need for just the coolant hoses within the engine compartment we would be good to go! Wink
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a good project for you. Go out to your van and measure all the clamps you need, then make a list to share with everyone else.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue I had with the vendors that were mentioned is that unless you order enough clamps to justify the shipping, the "cost per clamp" is pretty expensive.

I was putting together an order of about $20.00 and the shipping was going to be $12.00....no thankx.

If you go to Bus Depot, check out the hardware section, they have just about every clamp you might be interested in. Just have them tossed in the same box as the other parts your buying Rolling Eyes and the "cost per clamp" is much lower. A bit more bang for your buck that way. Smile
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Mc-Master, also order boxes of M8 bolts, washers, lock-washers, and M6 same. I hate reusing old hardware and buying it by the box is the easiest way to get it all.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
This sounds like a good project for you. Go out to your van and measure all the clamps you need, then make a list to share with everyone else.

I will be sure to share the list if I have to make one... but I was hoping someone else had already put a list together. Rolling Eyes
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are all expensive solutions. for 2 dollars you can get 20 clamps at the jy from volvos, bmws and mercs. THEY HOLD and are narrow enough to double up on [for the paranoid] luxury car companies stake their reputations on these
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebra clamps. You can get these German clamps from Wurth. I got a kit. These are the same as later model VW used with a driver tool to clamp. They are rounded and the clamp drive is raised. These features keep the clamp from digging in. These are the design fit for the VW. Good stuff....

https://shoponline.wurthusa.com/wurthusa/servlet/CyberVendor/category/G4317093/catalog/group.jsp/

FYI: You can buy via distribution or, like I did via ebay. I got a kit of clamps in a nice box so I don't loose them....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Zebra clamps. You can get these German clamps from Wurth. I got a kit. These are the same as later model VW used with a driver tool to clamp. They are rounded and the clamp drive is raised. These features keep the clamp from digging in. These are the design fit for the VW. Good stuff....

https://shoponline.wurthusa.com/wurthusa/servlet/CyberVendor/category/G4317093/catalog/group.jsp/

FYI: You can buy via distribution or, like I did via ebay. I got a kit of clamps in a nice box so I don't loose them....

I second that (I used to sell the stuff though!). The Wurth ones also provide more even pressure around the whole clamp, because of the style of the screw part Smile

Also - DON"T overtighten clamps - especially the narrow ones - a narrow clamp provides more pressure for the area covered (kinda like PSI) for the same tension applied.

An overtightened clamp doesn't make the hose stay on better, it just deforms the hose more, and is likely to cause damage to the pipe underneath.
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on Wurth products!
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: clamps Reply with quote

has anyone used marine grade t bolt ss clamps?
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servle...sNum=10686
1990 vw automatic camper
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summers420us wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

I will be sure to share the list if I have to make one... but I was hoping someone else had already put a list together. Rolling Eyes

So Summer420us,

You ever put together that list?
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constant Tension Band Hose Clamps
 For Heater & Radiator Hoses
 Chrome Vanadium Material
With Black OEM Finish
 Conforms To SAE J1508 & GM 6298M
 Rated At 30 P.S.I.
Auveco
Part No. Clamping Range Band_Width Unit Pkg.
18127 ...............15.2mm - 18.5mm (5/8" - 23/32") .............................15mm (19/32")..........................10
18128 ...............17.8mm - 20.0mm (23/32" - 25/32") .........................15mm (19/32")..........................10
18129 ...............22.0mm - 26.0mm (7/8" - 1") ....................................15mm (19/32" ...........................10
18130 ...............25.2mm - 28.9mm (1" - 1-1/8").................................15mm (19/32").......................... 5
18131 ...............27.0mm - 31.5mm (1-3/32" - 1-7/32").......................15mm (19/32")............................5
18132 ...............37.2mm - 44.5mm (1-15/32" - 1-3/4").......................15mm (19/32")............................5
18133 ...............41.3mm - 50.0mm (1-21/32" - 1-15/16")...................15mm (19/32")............................5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: