Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odometer problems.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my3sites
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Odometer problems. Reply with quote

I need some help. I have a 65 vert and the odometer is acting crazy. I know there are no tenths, but that is what mine appears to be doing but in fast forward. I drive about a 40 mile trip and the odometer racked up over 400 miles. What could be going on? Any sugestions?

Thanks

Dave
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the lil plastic gear broke, wrong size front left tire, cable that needs lubricating.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you can fix it but I would suggest a new speedometer if it is not the wire or the tire size. If you get in an accident and the Traffic Officer inspect the box you can be fined for it. Technically you are suppose to be certified to fix speedometers and odometers (unless you are a used car salesman) Confused Good luck.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 10:1 ratio? That's a lot. Since the odometer directly counts wheel revolutions, you'd have to have some incredibly small tires to get that kind of result. Plus your speedometer would be showing many times your actual speed as well. And a bad cable, I can't see a bad cable causing that effect either, if there were any issues with the cable I'd say it would hang up and cause less miles to show up (and the speedometer needle to be wacky too) Still, I don't know what would have to go bad inside the speedometer head to cause that either. It's a pretty straightforward set of gears, I guess if something came loose so it only grabs every now and then, but when it does it gives the gearing a "pop" forward registering many more revolutions than it should.

If you want to see what it looks like in there, check this thread out:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327535
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the little cog that ticks off the 10's drum is stuck to the 1's drum. This would make it tick off 10 miles for every 1 mile actually traveled. Some WD40 might loosen it up. The very light oil that lubes these parts is probably dried up.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: