Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 speedster kit engine choices???
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neptuneslair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

I have a transaxle with (40) and (113 301 103 E) and (AH2367781) all stamped on it. I understand this is probably a late 69' to early 70s' unit with a 4.125 R&P. So my question is engine choices?? I am looking to buy "turnkey" and I need to know what is a direct bolt up? I would like to go up in size but have reliability and drivability as well. 1835 CC and up preferably. Any recommendations? Also am I looking for a specific clutch for this upgrade? Any help here is greatly appreciated as this is to go into a "Fiberfab 356 Porsche Speedster" body. The chassis is completed and the body getting ready for paint. Please help!!! What should I buy???
Thanx in advance!!!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

Basicslly you have type 1 "IRS" transaxle .... Almost any aircooled VW engine will bolt up.... Only real concern is that you have proper flywheel (130 tooth) if you are going with 12 volt electrical system and that you have proper clutch assembly and throw out bearing combination that match your application..... For mild performance driving I would consider Kennedy stage 1 clutch assembly....Its what I use in 1450lb Dune Buggy with warm 2084 engine....

As for engine size... There is old addage "speed cost money, how fast can you afford to go" ... Just about any engine that can put about 80-100 HP at the wheels will be "fun"...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
neptuneslair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

Thank you Dale!! This is the sort of information that I am looking for!!!!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

What is your budget for a complete turnkey engine? As Dale said 100 HP in a lightweight Fiberglass Buggy will move you down the road nicely. A 356 would be a sporty dream with a 2110cc engine putting out around 130 HP and provide many years of trouble free driving. It will let you run side by side with the new Mustangs and Camaros.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

I'd recommend cruising the performance engine forum. And your local VW community resources. You can get just about any size engine you'd need or want shipped from just about any place on earth, if cost is no object. And if you ask 20 people you'll get 20 answers to that question, so I'd say start pricing/finding your local options first, then cast a wider net. There is a guy on here who goes by Glasser that just bought a healthy T4 motor for his buggy that should be hitting the street soon...check out his thread(s) here as an example.
neptuneslair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

Again, Thank you! vwracerdave - wythac - Dale M. for all of your input. I guess that I would like to be at $5000 or below if that seems like a possibility. Hoping that was including exhaust. That is another problem in itself, choosing an exhaust system.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

neptuneslair wrote:
Again, Thank you! vwracerdave - wythac - Dale M. for all of your input. I guess that I would like to be at $5000 or below if that seems like a possibility. Hoping that was including exhaust. That is another problem in itself, choosing an exhaust system.

Whatever you get make sure it is a decent merged setup. No sense buying a big $$ engine and choking it down with a crap exhaust.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

With a larger than stock engine, many Speedster owners like to upgrade the transaxle to a 3.88 R&P "Freeway Flyer" often comes with welded3&4 gears, heavy duty shift fork, stronger side plates and .82 final gear. It cuts RPMs by 200-300 rpms at cruising speeds. A 1915 cc is inexpensive popular choice as it uses the stock crank and doesn't require case clearancing for a stroker. It does require case and head boring to fit the large 94mm P&C.

Have you check out Speedsterowners.com --- over 4k Speedster/550 enthusiasts there. Your Speedster weights between 1800-1950 pounds so not as light as a dune buggy. Even a T4 VW engine will fit with proper flywheel. I don't think $5k will buy a stroker. You'll need dual carbs for a larger engine and that adds $4-600.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

Head to Carlisle in a week and talk with the Speedster owners that show up there. That way you'll have actual input from owners that drive their cars everywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

Take Letterman's advice. Nothing like seeing and talking with folks who own, drive and maintain cars like yours.

Another good reason to go; see what FITS in your engine compartment...intake/carb/exhaust combinations that work on other VWs might not fit well, look good, or might make maintenance difficult.

Not many speedster build threads here so you should be (if you aren't already) supplementing any info you gather here with that from websites dedicated to speedsters.

Keep in mind if you put a bigger powerplant in, that it is in an engine compartment designed for a motor that generated less heat than yours. Smart management and design of your cooling (air and oil) systems is a must.

Check the following link out for fun. Its been posted here before:

https://youtu.be/3sqC-2Ue5Ts

None of this is uncharted territory however. Good luck with your build. Post! I'd love to see it go together.
neptuneslair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

Appreciate all of the help that you all have given here!

Thank you!
neptuneslair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

Letterman7 - is this at the Carlisle Fairgrounds? When is it exactly?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

Yep, the fairgrounds. It's next week starting Friday (19th) through Sunday. I haven't been there since they changed the focus of the show, so I can't say for sure if the Porsche group even still shows. But I'm going to try to get there maybe Friday afternoon to check things out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

The Speedster group will be at Carlisle.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 356 speedster kit engine choices??? Reply with quote

The Speedster, Spyders and MGTDs are all way in the back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: