Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Upgrades/Add ons
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebatles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Bostig Upgrades/Add ons Reply with quote

Question for those of you who have done the bostig conversion. . . which upgrades did you opt for?

I don't have a syncro so probably won't go with the skid plates.

The twin starter looks pretty cool. . . but seems more of an offroad option, so I won't need that.

I'm undecided on the following options: the SCT X3 reflasher, the high capacity oil pan, the MC heat shield, and the OBDII extenstion.

The SCT X3 option looks really cool. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts one way or the other on whether it was worth $400 extra.

As far as the oil pan. . . I don't really need the clearance, so am wondering if the additional 1.5 quarts will make a big difference. I kind of like the idea of having plenty of oil in there. . . but I'm wondering if that's because of my old air cooled engine paranoia . . .

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I finally found a crate zetec, so am getting my ducks in a row before I order a kit. Thanks!
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because all of us must know exactly what a SCT X3 reflasher is Rolling Eyes
curator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango Conversions wrote:
because all of us must know exactly what a SCT X3 reflasher is Rolling Eyes

Those who have done a bostig recently would know, which is to whom the question was directed.

But just in case:

"The SCT reflasher tool allows use of Bostig custom tunes like the base chip option. Unlike the chip option which must reside on the J3 connector on the back of the ECU at all times, the reflasher simply updates the ECU itself, just like the factory does. It also provides high-speed datalogging of ford specific PIDs (parameter IDs) and DMRs (direct memory reads) like a dealer scan tool can. The main feature for most of our customers is the ability to update tunes without removing the chip and sending it back to us for re-programming, as tunes can be emailed and loaded on to the X3 by a windows computer with USB. It also has 10 minutes of on-device datalogging capability (which can then be offloaded to a desktop later and emailed to us)"

Courtesy of:
http://www.bostig.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=309&Itemid=241

I have also been considering those very same questions if/when i decide to convert.
Oceanpro907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all the options except the reflasher. I have the chip in my ECM. It seemed simpler for me.

I think oil pan is critical, since it buys you stock ground clearence again.

The skid plate protects the engine regardless of if it is syncro or not ( mine is, so that was easy) If you look at the video of the skid plate on the site, you will see how you can kill your engine easily without one.

I am set up for the twin started but so far have nor put the second one in and in retrospect, I didn't need it and will not use the starter to turn the fly wheel, I am never going to get that stuck.

I would save the money and get your transmission rebuilt to compensate for the new power.

I will be installing mine next weekend. I have everything else done. I will post some photos when I am done. Hope this helps a little. The Bostig guys have been great to work with, they are always around to answer questions.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the oil pan, for sure. It's gorgeous. It's extremely thick and I can't imagine the ability to break it, even without a skidplate. Though, if you're offroading, you'd obviously want a skid plate to protect more than just the oil pan.
The high capacity oil pan is nice and flat at the bottom and makes a nice point for jacking up the engine if you ever need too. (This probably isn't recommended, but that thing is THICK!)

The Scanner, I carry with me at all times. When something happens, it's great to plug it in and see what's going on. The ability to switch tunes is something I haven't messed around with much, but I'm sure others have. Taking a log and sending it to them for evaluation is important, and you need the SCT to do that.

You didn't mention a Scangauge2.
I don't have one, yet, but I hear they tend to rock.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the options you have mentioned your on the fence about can be done at a later time with ease except the dual starter. The flywheel for the dual starter option has dual ring gears. One cut to match the vw starter and the other side the Ford one. I also have a 2wd and thought what do I need the second starter for,but I ordered it anyways. I am glad I did as the Ford starter turns the motor over much quicker than the VW one. Not that the VW starter doesn't work and would be perfectly fine to use. I now have the Ford one hooked to my ignition switch and the vw one on an extra hidden button. I use it one in a while just to keep it in
good working order. If I had a syncro I would eliminate the VW starter just because of access is a pain and just use the Ford one. Plus that dual ring gear flywheel is just damn good looking.
The HC oil pan is an option that should just be standard and worked into the over all price. Its strong,it gives you more clearance, and if you upgrade to the turbo you will need it anyways. Plus the added benifit of a low oil indicator light on the dash gives you piece of mind when the back is loaded up with camping crap. You loose the license plate oil stick access with the Zetec conversion. Mine uses no oil between changes and
since the turbo install have switched to synthetic. So loosing the access is no big deal.
The obd extension is just a simple extension of the obd access port to up front by the driver. Their nothing fancy and if you really wanted to you could make your own,but the Bostig made one just drops right in. All you do is have to route the wire. I personally like having the obd plug upfront so you can use a scan gauge or like I have now a dash daq (its turbo specific). They give you an electronic "dashboard" so you can view what your engine is doing. I think this is especially important when you have just installed your Zetec. Lets you verify for example your throttle cable is getting full range of motion. Plus I love data and you gets lots of data.
This is where the SCT come in. Do yourself a favor and get one. It is so nice to be able to load a tune in with it. If you normally drive at sea level and end up going to the mountains for a bit. You could send Jim a data log and he could send you back a new program that he has tweaked to
perform better in the high altitude. What the sct does is give the Bostig boys a way to see how your engine is running without actually being there. Get one you wont regret it.
As for the skid plate I plan to lift my 2wd up a bit for some more ground clearance on dirt roads and while in fields. If you look from the back that bottom pulley is starting you in the face. I have visions of backing it into a rock or something. With the skid plate installed that no more of an issue. I hope they come up with one to cover the transmission now (I heard its in the works..)
I don't know where you live but if its near Mystic,CT drop me line and your more than welcome to take my Westy for a ride and check it out.
Beware though if you didn't want the turbo you will after driving my Westy.

Bill
87 Westy
Zetec with sct,hc oil pan,dual starter,skid plate,obd extension,stainless exhaust shield,TURBO...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3konas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HC oil pan for sure (reasons already mentioned) and the Scangauge2. Those would be my bare minimums.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I drool over all the upgrades, I have the base 2.0 version kit that I installed almost two years ago (wow, can't believe its been that long Surprised )

I haven't had the need for any of the upgrades. But the SCT came with my kit and I love having it on hand. I must say though, I rarely use it because my engine hasn't given me any trouble at all.
I plan on getting the HC oil pan with the cradle add on for better clearance. I would also like the new cooling tower/thermostat housing to clean up the engine compartment.

Bill, I hate living within a couple hours of you knowing you have the Turbo install. Please let me know if you are ever in Central Mass. I would love to take a spin in it to compare base model to turbo version.

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BillM: You lose the license plate oil stick access with the Zetec conversion.

It's a 20-minute procedure to get the access back, if you're interested. Undo the top bolt holding the dipstick tube in place, and bend the tube carefully in a smooth (or the best you can do) arc towards the license plate hole. Bolt the dipstick bracket to one of the bolts near the valve cover by the PS pump. You'll need to twist the dipstick bracket a bit to get the alignment right. I don't have a pic, but it's obvious once you're in front of it.

Back on topic: I have the HC oil pan with a homemade skidplate. Worth every penny for a Syncro; nice but not really necessary for a 2wd.

Since mine's a Bostig 2.0 kit, I'm seriously considering the coolant tower upgrade to eliminate a pile of cooling hose joints.

The carrier bar upgrade would be awesome, but I'd have to rebuild my skid plate to accommodate it, so that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Robyn
ebatles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BillM"]
Quote:
I don't know where you live but if its near Mystic,CT drop me line and your more than welcome to take my Westy for a ride and check it out.
Beware though if you didn't want the turbo you will after driving my Westy.

My wife would kill me if I told her I wanted the turbo Smile Thanks for the offer. I live in St. Augustine, Florida. Not sure if anyone has done the conversion down here but I'd love to try one out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I can't wait to get started on this conversion. After reading the post, I know I'll go with the high capacity oil pan, and I'm leaning toward the SCT. It just seems so handy. We'll see how the finances pan out in regards to the other options.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...You don't need the SCT to data log, you can use a PC based diagnostic program with a laptop and data log. I used OBDwiz and logged the first ten minutes of running then sent that data to Jim and he viewed it.
wooden nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Bostig almost 3 years. I just bought the HC oilpan. I had dropped in a big pothole with the old one and smacked the drain plug. The HC oilpan saved me when I tried to turn around on soft ground and sunk about 6" deep. With the help of some bricks and tree branches, I rocked the van out. If I had had the old pan, I would have been sitting on it.
The Scan Gage saved me too. I started on vacation and it showed me in just a few blocks from my house that the thermostat had stuck closed. The Scan Gage reacts much quicker than the dash gauge.
The turbo would probably be nice, but I get about 22 MPG and can pull my motorcycle with a sidecar on a trailer and still outrun the stock engine. I also get 18 to 19 MPG with the bike in tow.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good idea for most Robyn with the dipstick. I have a pipe from my intercooler going across the top/back of my engine bay now... Smile

Bill
87 Westy
Zetec Turbo
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
That is a good idea for most Robyn with the dipstick. I have a pipe from my intercooler going across the top/back of my engine bay now... Smile

Bill
87 Westy
Zetec Turbo

Ahh, of course, the turbo intake. I forgot about that, sorry.

Robyn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: