Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof installation
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the how to on the top! Are any of your headliner Pros? Shocked Confused

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstephens28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had no idea what to do with the straps in the front, so for now they're just hanging there...so are they supposed to be riveted to the header bow plate, or...otherwise "captured" somehow??

For the rear straps, I punched a hole through both the stitched-in pocket and the strap, then ran the end tension strip screw through it. Since that end is now anchored down with the screw, I figured I'd just cut off the excess, but for now it's just hanging there.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstephens28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This photo shows how they captured the strips. DON'T FOLLOW THIS! They ran the strips over the top of the bow and caught them on the underside with the rivets. This made the strips visible on the top of the bow. I ran my strips on the underside of the bow and caught the rivets. WARNING. This may be the cause of my ripples on each side, at the front of my sunroof.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone. I still plan on getting the rest of my photos up at some point.

I'm assuming you riveted the strips using the 2 rivets (on each side) on the furthest outward sides of the bow?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Though like I said I kept the strips on the underside of the bow, instead of wrapping them over the top, as in the photo. The subsequent build up of material required me to utilize longer rivets for these holes on each side. Fortunately I had for seen this, and had them on hand. Though I did end up cutting away a little material from the underside of the fold (if that makes sense) to reduce the build up. Just like they did in that photo.

Riveting those strips in the manner I did causes them to be pulled inboard from their natural resting position. This is the reason I suspect the resulting tension may be the cause of my ripple problem.

If you look at the photo of my almost finished top (installing the side screws really had no effect on the issue) you can see that the ripples are between the header bow and the first trailing bow. Sort of in the area where the strips emerge from their tunnel in the cover. If I can find definitive proof that the strips are the cause of the issue I may cut them off behind the header bow to try and relieve the tension in the area. Though I don't know what I would do with the ends then. I guess when you have a headliner it would be less of an issue as the ends would simply be hidden.

How does your top look in this area, having not captured the strips in the front?
mstephens28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These first 2 photos are of the passenger side. There doesn't appear to be the same long wrinkle...only a small one right where the strap exits the webbing and folds inward toward where I have it hanging.

The driver's side, below, has a wrinkle similar to yours, although possibly less pronounced. Interestingly, I pulled on the strap on this side at one point. It had the opposite of the desired effect, causing the pocket near where I pulled the strap to bunch up with several small crinkles. Not sure if that may have caused the long wrinkle similar to yours. Either way I'm not sure I'll try yanking on it again.

Below you can see how the cover's front seam rides up on the header plate, causing the seam to stick up vertically when the sunroof is closed...again not sure if attaching the straps to the header would effect that at all.

All in all I'm pleased with the way my sunroof looks, fits, and functions. Although like just about everything else I've done on this bus, it's far from perfect. For now I'm leaning toward leaving the straps unattached. Of course any guidance to the contrary is always welcomed!
Eskimotom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shout out of thanks and gratitude for those folks contributing photos tips and tricks to this thread, keep up the great work!

Perhaps today I'll pull my bits off the shelf, take some photos, do an inventory and see where I stand relative to where I need to go when I get to that point. Eskimo Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the headliner need to be completely installed to install the sunroof? Can I affix the piece that attaches to the sunroof and install?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstephens28 wrote:

Below you can see how the cover's front seam rides up on the header plate, causing the seam to stick up vertically when the sunroof is closed...again not sure if attaching the straps to the header would effect that at all.

All in all I'm pleased with the way my sunroof looks, fits, and functions. Although like just about everything else I've done on this bus, it's far from perfect. For now I'm leaning toward leaving the straps unattached. Of course any guidance to the contrary is always welcomed!

Unfortunately, that leading seam which sticks up shouldn't be there. Original sunroof tops I've inspected didn't have it. TMI, or WW, or whoever makes and sells these tops should fix their error.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
Does the headliner need to be completely installed to install the sunroof? Can I affix the piece that attaches to the sunroof and install?

Yes, you can completely install the sunroof cover before doing a headliner. It'll need to come back off, but it's only 8 screws.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
TMI, or WW, or whoever makes and sells these tops should fix their error.

In my opinion it's caused by the material below the seam not being pulled back far enough. A smidge of relax at the rear bar in the crown would also help.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
TMI, or WW, or whoever makes and sells these tops should fix their error.

In my opinion it's caused by the material below the seam not being pulled bajck far enough. A smidge of relax at the rear bar in the crown would also help.

No, it's caused by this non-original and unnecessary seam. It serves no purpose, and causes problems when it rolls either up or down from the leading edge of the sunroof bow. I had two deluxes with this inaccurate canvas. My sunroof kombi has a custom sewn top from Mark Lapriore, and it looks great.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof installation Reply with quote

Are there any tutorials on adjusting the header bow to get it to sit more flush?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof installation Reply with quote

This old thread:

WHERE would I find a Proper Canvas top?
I see several parts houses carry them, but which one carries the best?

Sewfine? Grumpy's? Wolfsburg? etc...............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof installation Reply with quote

I got a white canvas cover from Grumpys about a year ago. Very good quality. I did another a few years back with a white vinyl TMI cover. It fit very well and came out nice. Overall, I like the canvas cover better.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof installation Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
This old thread:

WHERE would I find a Proper Canvas top?
I see several parts houses carry them, but which one carries the best?

Sewfine? Grumpy's? Wolfsburg? etc...............

I re-skinned my top in '96, used West Coast Metric's. It's held together really well up until today, despite my poor installation.
http://www.westcoastmetric.com/
ozinbc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof installation Reply with quote

I am preparing to fit the sunroof cover to the front header, my question is about the front rubber seal. Does it go right to the edge of the header? The material is double thickness as you fold it at the edge/ side.
John Albas video suggests it runs to the length of the front edge and the sides.
What have others done?
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: headerbow Reply with quote

John TC wrote:

Nice write up, very usefull:-)

I would need to install one the coming days... but instead of using these rivets -
which I can imagine are hard to fix properly - did anyone use small countersink bolts and nuts?
Or would these stick out to much from the underside preventing a proper closing of the headerbow (it seems like the edge of the top part is pretty much inline with these holes?

Thanks!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof installation Reply with quote

ADVICE :
I've reading all these threads on the ragtop roof and currently doing mine.
I m at the Tension strip phase and notice from previous images, the tension straps are very "tight" when open position compared to my results. Will this affect anything once complete? or do I need to adjust? I cannot see getting these straps tighter when closed.

My straps are from Grumpy's and are extremely "non-elastic" and are very taught when totally closed. Thanks for the opinions.

The canvas straps are also causing grief as to use both front and back or just back? I had found a piece (broken) of the sunroof strap behind the rear rails riveted but nothing in the front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof installation Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
ADVICE :
I've reading all these threads on the ragtop roof and currently doing mine.
I m at the Tension strip phase and notice from previous images, the tension straps are very "tight" when open position compared to my results. Will this affect anything once complete? or do I need to adjust? I cannot see getting these straps tighter when closed.

My opinion is they will be fine. When it's all done there will be more weight on the open-loft-loops.

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
The canvas straps are also causing grief as to use both front and back or just back?

Can you elaborate a little more? It is hard to picture what you are describing.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof installation Reply with quote

Thank You !

The "straps" are referring to the ends of the Canvas sunroof, coming out of the edge seams. They run inside the sewn edges, but sewn into four corners. Ref:Image from previous.

Mine were not even connected b/c of PO and broken.
Thank You ! !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: