Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What shoes are these? Drum Brakes
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ojosnobueno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: What shoes are these? Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Hey all,
I have a 1/2-1600 car running rear drums and after disassembly and reassembly I find that the VW thing shoes I ordered are not correct.

The old shoe setup looked like this
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w_0E9H3ECdu_lZvKj6yJ_PHRM7s7DbCY

With the new Thing shoes they are like this (dont mind the incorrect spring just used for mockup)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-CaGx_dhKyX7moKenFL_rypRJ-1_r1Ks

The shoes sit way to high in the backing plate causing them to fall out of the lower adjusters
If anyone has any idea what the shoes are that fit this I would greatly appreciated it.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What shoes are these? Drum Brakes Reply with quote

The first picture is showing the use of Super Beetle front brake shoes and more than likely a modified Super Beetle front backing plate made to fit on the rear.
The reason this was done for off road racing, is that finding type 3 backing plates was not always possible. So people started modifying the Super Beetle ones to fit.
Since you are not using a emergency brake setup the use of Super Beetle shoes can be used. Or you can use the type 3 brake shoes too.
The Super Beetle front and type 3 rear drums are 9- 3/4in diameter and use shoe that are bigger then the ones for a Thing which are only 9in diameter.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What shoes are these? Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Joe's probably right about the shoes being Super Beetle fronts. But the backing plates are definitely T3 rears.

For a buggy like a 1-2/1600, T3's are great brakes. Many will tell you that their $1500/axle disc brakes are better. But it wasn't so long ago that I watched a 5/1600 shootout race at Barstow with 35 starters that was won handily by the Ledezma family with their 1990s race Baja. Their drum brakes all around beat the entire field of disc brake competitors. Also had VW hubs instead of micro stub hubs. And 1990s Fox shocks... Sometimes the latest ain't necessarily the greatest.
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...this match
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ojosnobueno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What shoes are these? Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Super beetle front shoes fit perfect, the car stops now and has good pedal. Thanks guys
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What shoes are these? Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Dusty, Super Beetle front backing plates were use for using the type 3 brake shoes and drums.
The center hole had to be machined larger for fitting over bearing housing and they do use four bolts to hold backing plate to front spindle that is very close to what on the rear trailing arm.
I have seen them and knew people that used them.
Motion Tire Motorsports
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What shoes are these? Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Yep. I have a pair of Super front assemblies out back. The T3 brake assemblies for my Hi Jumper I bought from the local VW dealer parts department back in the 1970s and they look JUST like that picture. The big difference I see is the adjuster end return spring. Mine have always had 2 smaller springs that hook in the small hole above the adjuster block instead of a single long spring connecting the 2 brake shoes.
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...this match
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What shoes are these? Drum Brakes Reply with quote

Both type 3 and Super Beetle use the short springs at the adjuster end of the shoes.
Someone has use the incorrect spring in the picture. If it works and does not cause the shoes to wear out prematurely use it.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: