Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Flexarms for the skylight
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: New Flexarms for the skylight Reply with quote

This should really be a quick and easy task, if ones nuts, bolts and screws are loose!
My flexarms were pretty much at their ropes end and I was having trouble closing the
SL all the way down. I did the TK mod but that really only worked for a while and the SL
never closed shut with it. More probably to do with the worn out flexarms than the mod!

Anyway, I got the new flexarms today and thought that I would replace the old with the
new in no time flat. I had forgotten that when I did TK's mod I couldn't get the SL's
knob off and it would have to get cut off. These knobs don't look like anything special
that a good RV shop wouldn't be able to supply. So I'll be looking for a new knob.

In this pic remove all the nuts that the red arrows are pointing too, on mine they were
8mm. Also remove the small nut from the phillips screw that the green arrow is pointing too.
I didn't use any wrenches on this small nut. The blue arrow points to the knob screw, on mine
it was a slotted screw.

If all these screws, nuts and bolts are able to be removed. Then you
should be able to
remove the plastic bezel, leaving just the flexarm bracket.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This pic shows the flexarm bracket in place with the flexarms attached.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The black arrows show two nuts that have to be removed so the bracket can be detached
from the flexarms. The blue arrow is where the knob was attached The
two nuts are 8mm and they are screwed on with phillips head screws.

Once the bracket is free then the flexarms they should just be hanging freely from the SK.
You should be able to push up the SL and remove the old flexarms by tilting them back
towards the rear of the van. Installing the new flexarms is the reverse of this. Take note of the
first pic, the yellow arrows show how the guides must be on the inside of the SL bracket and
the fleaxarms' arms must be on the outside of this SL bracket for the cranking of the knob
to make the SL close completely.

If all goes smoothly then reattach all the nuts,bolts, screws and washers that you took off
in reverse. If you are like me and can not get the knob off then you may just have to remove
the entire SL and bezel/bracket as one unit to remove the old flexarms from the SL bracket.
Just two more 8mm nuts that hold down the SL and alittle twisting and turning to get it
through the poptops SL hole.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.. Very well written/explained.

Is it just me.. or does this support bracket reek of afterthought...

I dont exactly look foward to rebuilding mine.

This article definitely makes me feel better about it.

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: