Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Bay Storage/Organizer
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
airkooledchris
Samba Member


Joined: January 25, 2005
Posts: 2469
Location: Eureka, CA
airkooledchris is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ice chest. You can use a cup hanger on the front. You can fill it with ice and cold drinks when traveling. Around town when you are daily driving you can toss all sorts of things in it. And you can upholster the top to match the seats and no one will know it is there cause it will look like a bench seat.



have you found one that isn't too wide that it actually fits between the front seats? I used to be able to do that in my Vanagon and my skinnier cooler but it's too wide to go between the seats in my bay.
_________________
1979 CA Transporter

Join the IAC Facebook group here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boesen
Samba Member


Joined: April 12, 2011
Posts: 460
Location: Iowa
Boesen is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69satellite wrote:
or you could build one. like this guy http://www.shagadelic.org/photos/pod/liveframe.cgi/center-console

just a couple i seen out there


Thanks for the link! Very Happy Had been wanting something like the Westy Stool, but not for the price, but wanted cupholders incorporated into it. So a few hours the last two nights, I started using from the link you posted the dimensions, and almost done. Going to have the same hinge and storage area as his, but also the cupholder area will hinge. Just need to match the stain color to my cabinetry in the Westfalia, and buy some hinges, and inset the cupholders. Thanks again! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 30, 2007
Posts: 29327
Location: Nor Cal
SGKent is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
SGKent wrote:
ice chest. You can use a cup hanger on the front. You can fill it with ice and cold drinks when traveling. Around town when you are daily driving you can toss all sorts of things in it. And you can upholster the top to match the seats and no one will know it is there cause it will look like a bench seat.



have you found one that isn't too wide that it actually fits between the front seats? I used to be able to do that in my Vanagon and my skinnier cooler but it's too wide to go between the seats in my bay.


yes - two in fact but only upholstered one.
_________________
Godspeed to all who undertake a journey in a VW Bus.

*You can do it right the first time, or do it over, the choice is yours. It is a free country. As to brakes, steering, tires, axles etc. - you may only get one chance at doing those right.

* VW Buses and VW cars share many of the same systems but if you haven't owned a bus and maintained it for awhile, you really don't know how different it is.

1971 (sold)
1977
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brautigansbus
Samba Member


Joined: July 08, 2011
Posts: 27
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
brautigansbus is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like mywifesghia's center console. The one I made is very similar, plywood, a cup-holder off of a boat and a latch. Holds all my fuses and small spare parts. If you have the time and the impetus, get creative!
_________________
"Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all."
-Sir Ernest Shackleton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 30, 2007
Posts: 29327
Location: Nor Cal
SGKent is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
SGKent wrote:
ice chest. You can use a cup hanger on the front. You can fill it with ice and cold drinks when traveling. Around town when you are daily driving you can toss all sorts of things in it. And you can upholster the top to match the seats and no one will know it is there cause it will look like a bench seat.



have you found one that isn't too wide that it actually fits between the front seats? I used to be able to do that in my Vanagon and my skinnier cooler but it's too wide to go between the seats in my bay.


yes - two in fact but only upholstered one.


here are a couple photos of the ice chest. Has to be one without hinges. Ignore the ruler in the bottom photo - I was measuring something when the photo was taken.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Godspeed to all who undertake a journey in a VW Bus.

*You can do it right the first time, or do it over, the choice is yours. It is a free country. As to brakes, steering, tires, axles etc. - you may only get one chance at doing those right.

* VW Buses and VW cars share many of the same systems but if you haven't owned a bus and maintained it for awhile, you really don't know how different it is.

1971 (sold)
1977
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RussellK
Samba Member


Joined: March 09, 2006
Posts: 225

RussellK is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:
69satellite wrote:
or you could build one. like this guy http://www.shagadelic.org/photos/pod/liveframe.cgi/center-console

just a couple i seen out there


Thanks for the link! Very Happy Had been wanting something like the Westy Stool, but not for the price, but wanted cupholders incorporated into it. So a few hours the last two nights, I started using from the link you posted the dimensions, and almost done. Going to have the same hinge and storage area as his, but also the cupholder area will hinge. Just need to match the stain color to my cabinetry in the Westfalia, and buy some hinges, and inset the cupholders. Thanks again! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I did something like that but used laminate to finish it. Sticky backed velcro on the bottom holds the box in place.
_________________
-Russ
'77 Westphalia
'68 Standard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boesen
Samba Member


Joined: April 12, 2011
Posts: 460
Location: Iowa
Boesen is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellK wrote:
Boesen wrote:
69satellite wrote:
or you could build one. like this guy http://www.shagadelic.org/photos/pod/liveframe.cgi/center-console

just a couple i seen out there


Thanks for the link! Very Happy Had been wanting something like the Westy Stool, but not for the price, but wanted cupholders incorporated into it. So a few hours the last two nights, I started using from the link you posted the dimensions, and almost done. Going to have the same hinge and storage area as his, but also the cupholder area will hinge. Just need to match the stain color to my cabinetry in the Westfalia, and buy some hinges, aneepqd inset the cupholders. Thanks again! Smile


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I did something like that but used laminate to finish it. Sticky backed velcro on the bottom holds the box in place.


I plan to use laminate too, going to look for it here locally first. If i can't find it then since it's finish birch for cabinetry, I'll stain it to match the Westfalia cabinetry. Anyone know off hand what stain would match?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boesen
Samba Member


Joined: April 12, 2011
Posts: 460
Location: Iowa
Boesen is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up the center console the other night. Couldn't find any laminate here locally, so decided to go with staining it. Tried to match the best, and went with Cherry. Came out close to my Westy Cabinets but not exact. Works for me, and fits great in between the front seats. Here are a few pics.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Thanks again to the Samba for great ideas and good inputs on alot of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB